The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Scary news out of California.

56% of Californians is around 25 million people.

That’s what they’re projecting for infections, in the State of California, in the next 8 weeks. :( 

damn. Lets hope the news coming out that there's a good potential for existing drug treatments pans out. The French study is really exciting as the study participants had no sign of the virus after 5 days. It was a tiny study but still: https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/french-study-finds-anti-malarial-and-antibiotic-combo-could-reduce-covid-19-duration/

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Not public news. 

I did hear this from a very reliable source who is working the front lines. 

However, I do disclaim again that this is not public news so believe it or not.

There's a fairly large community outbreak in North Van among the Iranian population. Lions Gate has set up a satellite site strictly for this community and anyone that's been in contact with them. 

True or not (heard it from someone assigned to work at this site) it's great to hear some quick, proactive measures being taken. 

It wouldn’t surprise me whatsoever.   Some of the first cases were from people flying in from Iran and North Vanc has a huge Iranian population.

3 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I was thinking, it would be a great idea if stores would hand them out/sell them at the entrances.

I would really like to buy some gloves but, besides being in self isolation, I would need to go to a store to buy some....bit of a catch -22

you can always use regular gloves, just wash or disinfect them when you get home. 

Disinfecting is really easy if you have regular household bleach, you can make up a quality solution very easily: https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.html  

You could even fill a spray bottle with this and clean the cart handle on your own if you were desperate to get out and need to shop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s what they’re projecting for infections, in the State of California, in the next 8 weeks. :( 

It'll get uglier than that I'm afraid.  Just look at how many homeless there on in LA's skid row.  HUGE gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots'.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I loudly, with my kids standing with me explained why I was using one of their free disinfectant wipes to clean the handles of the basket I grabbed at Safeway.

I loudly and very poignantly pointed out that the older couple who came in directly behind me didn't and why it was important too.

I then loudly pointed out that said couple was standing way to close to my kids in the self check out line and that people selfish enough to not even wipe the handles on their baskets shouldn't be standing near my children let alone other people.

Honestly, oldnews is right.  It's folks like that in grocery stores that will screw us all and I've no issues in calling them out

Perhaps you should just stay home.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Just found an interesting Q & A with Dennis Carroll, an expert in Zoonotic Spillover, ie the transmission of viruses from animals to humans. There's a fair amount about COVID-19 in there, but it's more about understanding  how these types of viruses work. (Hint: It's not so much because someone ate a bat, but because someone slaughtered and cooked a bat)

It's a bit long, so I'm just posting the link (along with a paragraph that I felt was on point):

http://nautil.us/issue/83/intelligence/the-man-who-saw-the-pandemic-coming?utm_source=pocket-newtab

In 2005, during the avian influenza, George W. Bush was on the phone routinely with leaders around the world about how to coordinate a global response. Barack Obama did the same in 2009 for the second H1N1 pandemic and in 2014 for the Ebola epidemic. You saw presidential leadership step up and act as a catalyst for forging a global way forward for a global problem. It has been absolute silence in this White House. I think the only reason the White House is even paying any lip service to this is because the stock market has gone into a free fall. So they’re trying to figure out what are the words they need to say to placate the stock market.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually, I’m glad Hippy said something.  We should all remind each other of proper safety measures.  

Remind is not what she/he is doing. That is call-out culture or shaming.  Not to mention passive aggressive behavior.  Would he/she act that way to a person if he was 6'3 with tats - no.  No need to shame elderly people.  If that scared, stay home and defo don't bring your kids.  Or look them in the face and politely say.  'Sorry I am really nervous about this could we have some more space'.  That is the Canadian way.    You don't need to wearing glove or wiping down everything or using sanitizer so you don't have the right to ask people.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

projections are just projections.  They announce this so it doesn't become reality.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I loudly, with my kids standing with me explained why I was using one of their free disinfectant wipes to clean the handles of the basket I grabbed at Safeway.

I loudly and very poignantly pointed out that the older couple who came in directly behind me didn't and why it was important too.

I then loudly pointed out that said couple was standing way to close to my kids in the self check out line and that people selfish enough to not even wipe the handles on their baskets shouldn't be standing near my children let alone other people.

Honestly, oldnews is right.  It's folks like that in grocery stores that will screw us all and I've no issues in calling them out

Old people have "Never" liked to be t"old" how to do things, so no surprise their "Stubbornness" has shown up in times like this as well. They are the most vulnerable so you would "Think" they would be the most cautious AND take advantage of the 1hr earlier opening and be at home before the regular store hours happen!

Even my 90 year old stubborn Italian Nona realizes she should stay home more and avoid crowds etc...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, samurai said:

yeah nothing brings people together like rudeness.  

we weren't there in the present to hear the tone in how it was said. Sounds like he was teaching his kids to listen to what the government said in regards for all of our well being.

It is ignorant for anyone person of any race or age to ignore those statements and not try to protect themselves or others during this time

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

It wouldn’t surprise me whatsoever.   Some of the first cases were from people flying in from Iran and North Vanc has a huge Iranian population.

I was reading a article early on when there was maybe 40 people infected in BC and it listed how each person got infected and about 85+% of them were people flying from Iran. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, EmilyM said:

We don't need to be together, we need to be apart ::D

No but seriously I have to agree with @King Heffy. The same way society should deal with racists, harassers, and any other person who acts in disregard for the populace. These people have to be shown that their behaviour is not acceptable in today's society and I don't care if someone has to be a little rude in doing it. At this point, you'd have to be a person with complete disregard for what we're being instructed to do if you're not following protocol. 

What you are talking about is violence or aggression as a legitimate form of self-defense.   Perhaps their disregard stems from a misunderstanding or not knowing.  I doubt they are doing it deliberately.  That is just demonizing people.  But according to you because they don't know then it is okay for you to be rude to them.  By the way you do not have to wear gloves to be safe - that is just extreme behavior.