The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

26 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

The one thing we do have going for us down here is our governors have more say over its constituents on matters of the state than the President.  And thankfully the governor of Illinois has already been calling out Trump as his b.s.

The governors have really stepped up for their people in the US. Cuomo, Inslee, Pritzker are showing their mettle and leadership more than ever. Good luck to you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I would rather live in Canada any day then have our country be run by Mr. Orange Man

I do like the US too and hope for the best for them. Like skolozsky mentioned, many of the governors are stepping up and leading. Thank goodness for them. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The governors have really stepped up for their people in the US. Cuomo, Inslee, Pritzker are showing their mettle and leadership more than ever. Good luck to you. 

Agreed. It's just too bad they have Bone Spurs working against them....

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Boy, We closed the CAN/USA border just in time.

Trump is a lunatic!

Americans will be coming up here in droves like the draft dodgers in the 60's

I used to work with one of those DD's about 10 years ago, when I was in construction....

Pure hippy and AFAIK, still drives around with Wyoming plates, decades after coming to Canada.....:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I read an article today talking about how Trump and the hardcore nut-huggers in his administration are "starting to lose patience" with Anthony Fauci...

Of course. When the almighty dollar is your only guiding principle, lives are nothing more than collateral. 

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

....you know, for telling the truth, when it doesn't align with what president Pinocchio is saying publicly. It must be just killing him to know that firing AF would be political suicide right now....

I hope it does.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I read an article today talking about how Trump and the hardcore nut-huggers in his administration are "starting to lose patience" with Anthony Fauci...

....you know, for telling the truth, when it doesn't align with what president Pinocchio is saying publicly. It must be just killing him to know that firing AF would be political suicide right now....

President Pinnochio...perfect

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. It's just too bad they have Bone Spurs working against them....

At some point they have to go back to work. How many cans of Pork n’ Beans do they have in the strategic reserve? The military must have studies somewhere telling government how long they can hunker down. Canada is impacted as well as much of our consumption is made in the USA. Push comes to shove and t he Americans will take care of themselves first. 

History will remember when the world stopped
And the flights stayed on the ground
And the cars parked in the street
And the trains didn't run

History will remember when the schools closed
And the children stayed indoors
And the medical staff walked towards the fire
And they didn't run

History will remember when the people sang
On their balconies, in isolation
But so very much together
In courage and song.

History will remember when the people fought
For their old and their weak
Protected the vulnerable
By doing nothing at all.

History will remember when the virus left
And the houses opened
And the people came out
And hugged and kissed
And started again

Kinder than before.

-Donna Ashworth

The "when the people fought" part got me through right to the core.  Cried.  Every time I read it - cry.

I am still emotional over having to fight for safety at work.  To demand it and have to leave to get it.  Not for me, for my family.

My boss is an ass...even though I'll remain an employee, that will never change in my mind from that point onward.  True colours stuff.  I will do the job, as usual, with the same integrity and drive as before because that's who I am.  But who he is became perfectly clear to me in that moment during crisis.  When the dust settles, it's time for me to ramble on.   For now, I shake my head at how much intolerance and impatience he's exercised in it all.  It's like we're in his way by trying to do what's right.  Sorry to inconvenience you but....your open mouth coughing through the office is a problem.  Not an "attitude being displayed" by us when we ask you not to.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I used to work with one of those DD's about 10 years ago, when I was in construction....

Pure hippy and AFAIK, still drives around with Wyoming plates, decades after coming to Canada.....:rolleyes:

Random off-topic story alert!

Did a road trip down to Nelson in 2003 and while using a payphone (yikes!) I was watching a gentleman crest the hill. He had a big beard, long ponytail, wearing a nice 3 piece suit, carrying a briefcase, and finally...it was all topped off with flip flops and extremely dirty feet.

I can still remember thinking to my 17 year old self "Where the hell am I?!"

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Mackcanuck said:

Mommy, What happened to Grandma?

Well it's like this honey,

The Dow Jones was plummeting and the President had to take care of the economy. 

spacer.png

"Our people"?  He thinks he's "our people" or can speak on their behalf?  

Watched over?   Like in a numbers count?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

When/if this blows over, do you think general practices will resume as they were. or to change temporarily or forever?

Afterall, The Asian flu, Sars, H7N9  never changed travel practices

I myself hope that tougher screening to countries like China will be kept, enforced and adhered too

Maybe airlines will need to have individual self contained breathing apparatus from now on?

I imagine travel will be more costly with less competition

I can't see any Government ever wanting to go through this again, and wonder how they will do things differently to lessen the odds of it happening

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Mommy, What happened to Grandma?

Well it's like this honey,

The Dow Jones was plummeting and the President had to take care of the economy. 

spacer.png

I guess when there isn't gonna be enough ICU beds and ventilators for the amount of people who are going to get sick, might as well just send them back to work, right Don.