The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Part of me is wondering if there are just too many humans on earth and this pandemic was bound to happen sooner or later? 

As much as we try to reduce our environmental impact, our mass numbers are just so damaging on the environment around us. 

Perhaps we will need some form of global population control? 

Way too many people on the planet. 

Yeah im looking at you china and india. 

3 hours ago, samurai said:

Interesting video, and I have a few thoughts in response:

- I don't think anyone is/would disagree with his premise that we need reliable data; however,

- he uses Iceland as an example to compare the data to that of the flu, but Iceland as an entire country has a population that is basically the exact same size of Greater Victoria, where I live, so wouldn't it be much more likely to be able to keep the infection rate very low? Wouldn't Iceland be an outlier? 

- He then uses Italy as an example of how bad it can get, but that Italy is an outlier due to their demographics. (Again, wouldn't Iceland be an outlier as well?) He loves his data but then throws out a correction rate of a factor of 100 for Italy, which would bring the data to that of the flu. Where does this correction rate of 100 come from?

- He at one point also mentions how if the US does nothing and there ends up being a death count of 10,000 that no one would even notice. This made me check when this video was posted, which was over a week ago, which means it's possible that he made this comment maybe a week prior to that, or more (I'm unsure) and a lot has happened since then. The US has already taken lots of action with this and already is getting close to 10,000 deaths. 

- It's true that we need reliable data and not to create panic, but I think the "panic" that has been created is to try and get the message through to people that social distancing and proper hygiene, etc., measures need to be widely accepted and used in order to flatten the curve. When you have countries across the globe who haven't had to go through a pandemic like this in modern times, the response is obviously heightened when, yes, we do not yet have reliable data that can calm the mind. This is also why having reliable data from countries such as China and Japan would be nice, but the secrecy and ostensible lying makes the panic and response worse for the rest of the world.

- As he says, there are outliers in any crisis, which leads me to say that you can always find outlier opinions as well, such as those who say climate change isn't real. I agree with him that reliable data is absolutely vital, but he sounds like he's speaking from a stance of prevention or hindsight, when the reality is that this pandemic is happening right now. We cannot just sit back and do little until we have all this reliable data he speaks of. The data is being collected, and measures are being taken as data comes in. As a society and world that is in the heart of a novel virus pandemic we have to do what we can with the data we have, update our responses as we go as new data comes in, and do our best along the way. Granted, this may turn out to be a massive overreaction, but I, personally, think it's better to side with the majority of medical pundits and the WHO and others rather than the contrarian outlier positions such as his. The reaction may also turn out that it wasn't an overreaction: I prefer an over than under. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Well find out the longer isolation continues and the more freedoms are reduced and penalties increased.

32 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Interesting video, and I have a few thoughts in response:

- I don't think anyone is/would disagree with his premise that we need reliable data; however,

- he uses Iceland as an example to compare the data to that of the flu, but Iceland as an entire country has a population that is basically the exact same size of Greater Victoria, where I live, so wouldn't it be much more likely to be able to keep the infection rate very low? Wouldn't Iceland be an outlier? 

- He then uses Italy as an example of how bad it can get, but that Italy is an outlier due to their demographics. (Again, wouldn't Iceland be an outlier as well?) He loves his data but then throws out a correction rate of a factor of 100 for Italy, which would bring the data to that of the flu. Where does this correction rate of 100 come from?

- He at one point also mentions how if the US does nothing and there ends up being a death count of 10,000 that no one would even notice. This made me check when this video was posted, which was over a week ago, which means it's possible that he made this comment maybe a week prior to that, or more (I'm unsure) and a lot has happened since then. The US has already taken lots of action with this and already is getting close to 10,000 deaths. 

- It's true that we need reliable data and not to create panic, but I think the "panic" that has been created is to try and get the message through to people that social distancing and proper hygiene, etc., measures need to be widely accepted and used in order to flatten the curve. When you have countries across the globe who haven't had to go through a pandemic like this in modern times, the response is obviously heightened when, yes, we do not yet have reliable data that can calm the mind. This is also why having reliable data from countries such as China and Japan would be nice, but the secrecy and ostensible lying makes the panic and response worse for the rest of the world.

- As he says, there are outliers in any crisis, which leads me to say that you can always find outlier opinions as well, such as those who say climate change isn't real. I agree with him that reliable data is absolutely vital, but he sounds like he's speaking from a stance of prevention or hindsight, when the reality is that this pandemic is happening right now. We cannot just sit back and do little until we have all this reliable data he speaks of. The data is being collected, and measures are being taken as data comes in. As a society and world that is in the heart of a novel virus pandemic we have to do what we can with the data we have, update our responses as we go as new data comes in, and do our best along the way. Granted, this may turn out to be a massive overreaction, but I, personally, think it's better to side with the majority of medical pundits and the WHO and others rather than the contrarian outlier positions such as his. The reaction may also turn out that it wasn't an overreaction: I prefer an over than under. 

Testing Problem #3: The WHO & world governments have completefaith in these clearly inaccurate tests

Even though the tests are clearly not reliable, the WHO and governments around the world seem to be taking their results at face value, a fact that

https://theemfguy.com/blog/coronavirus/

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Testing Problem #3: The WHO & world governments have completefaith in these clearly inaccurate tests

Even though the tests are clearly not reliable, the WHO and governments around the world seem to be taking their results at face value, a fact that

https://theemfguy.com/blog/coronavirus/

Do they have complete faith, or are they exercising the overreaction vs underreaction mentality? 

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Do they have complete faith, or are they exercising the overreaction vs underreaction mentality? 

I encourage you to read the article as I did.  

warning it’s 47 pages but the info is impressive 

I only highlighted that as it’s just a small detail within volumes of examples of inconclusive science as sourced from numerous leading scientists specializing in these fields.

17 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Really this doesn’t even apply to what I posted 

there is none of either

its a presentation of actual fact