The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

I have a few questions or thoughts. Are test given out freely? Or only to people that are sick already and to those known to be in contact?

I ask this because there a positive tests in Europe from apparently healthy people and those that are symptomatic for only 24 hours like the NBA player.

Is it true that the virus can live for up to 9 days on a surface? That is one I can't find any reputable references for, like it is a secret or something.

Do you why Canada is not screening people at the airport or border crossings? Do you think they should?

The information, while pertinent like wash your hands, is not complete. How many people could have the virus and are just staying home or spreading it, I don't see police officers doing anything special to not contract it.

I wonder how many people actually have it in Canada that have only mild symptoms? Why would there be an alert to not go to old folks homes if you feel healthy or are without symptoms if this thing is more insidious than just being obvious.

Quite awhile ago I went to work sick and it ended up I had diphtheria, a couple of guys died of it, later I got one of the super flu's and went to work, my boss almost died and told me to never come to work sick again, that is one reason I ask about the testing, I have had some very bad things and "bulled" my way through and continued doing whatever I wanted which did end up with dire consequences so I am careful now but need to know because I can get these very bad things and continue to function almost totally normally, just take aspirin for the fever and a decongestant for breathing, which I am doing already, been 3 weeks now, one of the worst I have had, BTW I did visit the US a month ago.

Virus was living for a couple days outside the body, which is unusual. Also, was in lower temperatures.

Now that the temps are rising in China, the infection rates (if you can believe them at all) are going down.

48F seems to be the limit to where this virus can live outside the body.

21 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I work in a hospital, dip$&!#.. and am well-experienced in working in isolation with infectious diseases. FFS, get your head out of your ass and give it a shake. I'm a member of the group who will most likely be looking after the assholes like you who minimize the danger...or I'll be looking after the child or the 40 year old or maybe your grandmother or a parent that you have so casually passed the virus on to. It's people like you who will be responsible for someone dying because you know, you just had a cold.... and went to work...the grocery store...to visit an elderly relative on their birthday.... Reality is going to be a real kick in the nads for you.

Your a doctor/nurse and your attacking my character because I'm saying your overreacting to the virus.

Listen here "dip$#!+"

Saying you are overreacting and going and being reckless getting people sick are 2 totally different things and I'd love to know how you came up with that. 

Dont attack someone's character and make false accusations because they hurt your feelings with an opinion. Smart enough to be a doctor/nurse but not smart enough to read. Only in Canada

Edited by Brock Botanen
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

They didn't know crap about SARS, or swine flu, or chicken flu, and this has all the same hallmarks. Ridiculous hype and fear. This has more to do with control than anything, in the end.

Wash your hands and don't meet in big groups and you're doing your part to save lives.  18 percent death rate for the elderly. That's all you gotta do partner.  That and tell others to do the same. Thx.

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

You're getting there my friend. Washing hands and not meeting in big groups slows transmission and saves lives. Particularly for the elderly.

Now just take one more step. With unprecedented actions by governments all over the world, this one is worse than the others.  We haven't seen the shutting down of economies travel and sports etc before. Its not panic.  It's a measured planned response by governments businesses and sports around the globe.  These steps will slow the spread. 

Canada better step it up because not screening people is a disaster in the waiting. This is much worse for those they list as particularity susceptible.

Is there anything that says you can't catch it twice? Or that it won't mutate like what is happening to the "Italian" strain? That is their distinction not mine.

8 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I feel the need to get some facts straight about this virus. Not trying to cause panic or fear monger but people should take this serious and be sufficiently worried enough to take the proper precautions. 

As of right now the WHO has a mortality rating of 3.4 percent https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#who-03-03-20.

Which it’s early but as that stands is a mortality rate significantly higher than the flu which is around 0.01 average. 

The basic reproduction number (R0) of Covid-19 is 2.2. In comparison the flu hovers around 1.3. Any number over 2 causes the capability of exponential growth. 

We have no vaccine and according to experts a vaccine is likely 12-18 months out and that alone would be break records for the speed of a vaccine being developed . The traditional speed for a vaccine development is 15-20 years. 

As of right now this virus has a mortality rating higher in all age groups than any influenza virus we currently deal with so any comparison to the average flu is wrong. 
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/.

As China and South Korea has shown this virus is containable, but the measures China took simply won’t work in any western country because we don’t live under a authoritative regime with circumstances being vastly different. What can work is the measures we’re already seeing take place in harsh lock downs and public gatherings being postponed or cancelled completely. 

This new study released yesterday shows that the virus can live in the air for up to 3 hours, it also shows the longevity of the virus on other surfaces as well. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

Now keep in mind that this is an early report so it’s not 100% confirmed yet. 

Those comparing this to SARS are actually closer to being right than the people comparing it to the flu because Covid-19 is actually a part of the SARS family not the influenza family. 

Anyways that’s all for now. Be careful, think of those around you and don’t panic. 

What's the mortality rate of under 40 vs 40 and over? 3% is very low as is but that number is mainly the elderly and people with health conplications.

If your a young healthy person you have nothing to worry about. You wont die. It's not going to be the end of the world. Unless Kim Jung Un catches it

You're right that it's like the SARS as they're both coronavirus'. However, the death rate (3%) is closer to influenza (.01%) than it is SARS (10%). 

Edited by Brock Botanen

4 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

What's the mortality rate of under 40 vs 40 and over? 3% is very low as is but that number is mainly the elderly and people with health conplications.

If your a young healthy person you have nothing to worry about. You wont die. It's not going to be the end of the world. Unless Kim Jung Un catches it

3% is incredibly high man, and when the dust settles, these insanely high numbers being tossed around by the professional liars, aka, the media, will turn out to be way way under 1%.

12 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

As China and South Korea has shown this virus is containable, but the measures China took simply won’t work in any western country because we don’t live under a authoritative regime with circumstances being vastly different. What can work is the measures we’re already seeing take place in harsh lock downs and public gatherings being postponed or cancelled completely. 

Maybe Justin should take a page from his dad, while not totally the same it was what he did.;

https://youtu.be/XfUq9b1XTa0?t=332

Not the same but this is worse, an enemy that will not surrender it must be eradicated.

Edited by Lazurus

2 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I have a few questions or thoughts. Are test given out freely? Or only to people that are sick already and to those known to be in contact?

I ask this because there a positive tests in Europe from apparently healthy people and those that are symptomatic for only 24 hours like the NBA player.

Is it true that the virus can live for up to 9 days on a surface? That is one I can't find any reputable references for, like it is a secret or something.

Do you why Canada is not screening people at the airport or border crossings? Do you think they should?

The information, while pertinent like wash your hands, is not complete. How many people could have the virus and are just staying home or spreading it, I don't see police officers doing anything special to not contract it.

I wonder how many people actually have it in Canada that have only mild symptoms? Why would there be an alert to not go to old folks homes if you feel healthy or are without symptoms if this thing is more insidious than just being obvious.

Quite awhile ago I went to work sick and it ended up I had diphtheria, a couple of guys died of it, later I got one of the super flu's and went to work, my boss almost died and told me to never come to work sick again, that is one reason I ask about the testing, I have had some very bad things and "bulled" my way through and continued doing whatever I wanted which did end up with dire consequences so I am careful now but need to know because I can get these very bad things and continue to function almost totally normally, just take aspirin for the fever and a decongestant for breathing, which I am doing already, been 3 weeks now, one of the worst I have had, BTW I did visit the US a month ago.

Well, number one that just jumped out at me is that if you have a fever, you SHOULD NOT be out and about.

I would suggest you call your doctor, describe your symptoms and the fact that you were in the US a month ago and where in the US you were and your method of transportation. The office will then direct you on what to do next regarding testing. Or, you can call your Emergency Ward or in-hospital clinic if you have one where you live. You can also call the BC Nurses Line and they will direct you as to what to do next.

We are still in the early stages of this pandemic. I do not know why people are not being checked at airports. That's exactly where we may end up if this virus morphs out of control.

It is my understanding that there are still questions about transmission of the virus....many rumours. So the best thing to do is follow the protocols as laid out at the moment and those will be upgraded once all forms of transmission have been confirmed. The learning curve is uphill all the way at warp speed on this! This is our 1918....and we are fortunate in that doctors and researchers around the world are working as fast as possible on a vaccine but as you know, there are 2 strains of Covid-19, not just one and that clinical trials take time.

And just a heads up...there are no medals for 'bulling' it through... nobody wants to become a Typhoid Mary... and trust me, you will not win any popularity contests (as you well know) for going in to work sick. :):P

Still unknown if you can catch it more than once. However the warm weather in Canada this spring/summer will bring about a retreat in the virus. Could it come back next winter yes. Could we have can effective vaccine by then also yes.  

So wash your hands and don't meet in big groups.  That will bring transmission rates down. Ignoring and bravado of I don't care will cause rates to increase.

This is not panic right now. It's a common sense approach.  Everyone should take a breath and get that.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xereau said:

3% is incredibly high man, and when the dust settles, these insanely high numbers being tossed around by the professional liars, aka, the media, will turn out to be way way under 1%.

Yea I know.

Global warming is going to kill us in 10 years too lol

I get a kick out of how easy people are sent into a panic nowadays lol

7 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

You're right that it's like the SARS as they're both coronavirus'. However, the death rate (3%) is closer to influenza (.01%) than it is SARS (10%). 

Until the hospital is overwhelmed and you can't get treated.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Still unknown if you can catch it more than once. However the warm weather in Canada this spring/summer will bring about a retreat in the virus. Could it come back next winter yes. Could we have can effective vaccine by then also yes.  

So wash your hands and don't meet in big groups.  That will bring transmission rates down. Ignoring and bravado of I don't care will cause rates to increase.

This is not panic right now. It's a common sense approach.  Everyone should take a breath and get that.  

You can catch it more than once 

Just now, Brock Botanen said:

3% is not low at all my friend, if 1 million people get infected 30 thousand die. If the numbers hit average yearly flu infections which is 26 million in the US alone that’s 780 thousand possible deaths. That’s not taking into account the probabilities and the consequences of the healthcare systems being overrun. It’s definitely not going to be the end of the world but it is dangerous. It doesn’t only affect older people it affects anyone with underlying conditions which especially in the US is a high number with their obesity affecting 45% of their population. The mortality rating of under 40 is around 0.02% and above 40 it climbs quite dramatically through the age groups. But the point isn’t that you won’t die if you’re under 40 it’s that you have a very strong possibility of transmitting it to someone you love. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Until the hospital is overwhelmed and you can't get treated.

I'm in NS. Our health care does more harm than good. I feel safer home than I would having our healthcare looking after me. Idk about the rest of Canada but the health care here probably has a higher death rate that the coronavirus 

15 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Your a doctor/nurse and your attacking my character because I'm saying your overreacting to the virus.

Listen here "dip$#!+"

Saying you are overreacting and going and being reckless getting people sick are 2 totally different things and I'd love to know how you came up with that. 

Dont attack someone's character and make false accusations because they hurt your feelings with an opinion. Smart enough to be a doctor/nurse but not smart enough to read. Only in Canada

:lol:

You didn't hurt my feelings...you are being reckless and are ill-informed. Tsk, tsk. I read exactly what you said...you seem a tad perturbed at being taken to task over your ill-informed 'opinion'.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Brock Botanen said:

I'm in NS. Our health care does more harm than good. I feel safer home than I would having our healthcare looking after me. Idk about the rest of Canada but the health care here probably has a higher death rate that the coronavirus 

Perfect.  Put your money where your mouth is if you catch it.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Cerridwen said:

:lol:

You didn't hurt my feelings...you are being reckless and are ill-informed. Tsk, tsk. I read exactly what you said...you seem a tad perturbed at being taken to task over your ill-informed 'opinion'.

So tell me genius. How is this going to play out. I want to be able to quote u in a few months and have a good laugh

• Haha 2