The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The whole thing is a "tough look".

I'm not surprised that you're defending it though....<_<

I'm all for equal rights etc for trans people, supporting them and reducing stigma etc around it.

I get real iffy in when it comes to giving hormones, meds and surgeries to minors though. And especially with kids these days almost seem pushed towards it vs. Accepting? Sure. Encouraged to?... That's a tough one for people who's brains aren't fully developed and emotional state is in constant turmoil due to surging hormones (never mind any other issues they might be going through in their life).

Do you think people should be making permanent, life altering decisions about their bodies as teenagers? I sure don't. 

That said, the rest of that story is :picard:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Right. The bit about "gender neutral" was just conversation.....:rolleyes:

Here it is: I think ideologically possessed parents shouldn't be drilling this into children, just like they shouldn't be drilling religion into children.

If they feel that way naturally, by all means provide the support they need. That community has its issues with suicide so the less deaths the better.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'm all for equal rights etc for trans people, supporting them and reducing stigma etc around it.

I get real iffy in when it comes to giving hormones, meds and surgeries to minors though. And especially with kids these days almost seem pushed towards it vs. Accepting? Sure. Encouraged to?... That's a tough one for people who's brains aren't fully developed and emotional state is in constant turmoil due to surging hormones (never mind any other issues they might be going through in their life).

Do you think people should be making permanent, life altering decisions about their bodies as teenagers? I sure don't. 

I don't buy into the narrative that kids are being "forced", or even encouraged into a Trans lifestyle out of the blue. i know it makes for a good conservative talking point, but it's ridiculous to believe that parents would advocate a prohibitively expensive and time consuming process on their kids, just because the parents "want" it.

It's like "voter fraud"......a manufactured "problem" that doesn't need fixing.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Here it is: I think ideologically possessed parents shouldn't be drilling this into children, just like they shouldn't be drilling religion into children.

If they feel that way naturally, by all means provide the support they need. That community has its issues with suicide so the less deaths the better.

As I pointed out below, I think the idea that parents are "drilling" these ideas into their kids is a myth.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Those people are obviously dumb and should be ticketed but most photos I’ve seen people are at least 6 feet apart. Just looks bad when there’s hundreds of people.

They are dumb but they weren't.  Birthday party with 20+ people, watched groups come in and leave and no way were they the same family or group of people.

But meh, nothing says mothers day like potentially infecting your elderly mom

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, gurn said:

I've been watching Canada's mortality rate, and for about 2 weeks,  it has hovered in the 6-7% range.

I am aware that simply doing more tests will lower than number, yet it is a troubling development. :(

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

death

cases        new cases                                                    deaths      new deaths                  recovered                  critical    cases/mill  per/mill

Canada ca.png 69,907 (arrow_upward1,059) 4,992 (arrow_upward121) 32,650 7.1% 502 1,845

remove Quebec from the calc's and its a much different picture. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't buy into the narrative that kids are being "forced", or even encouraged into a Trans lifestyle out of the blue. i know it makes for a good conservative talking point, but it's ridiculous to believe that parents would advocate a prohibitively expensive and time consuming process on their kids, just because the parents "want" it.

Forced is a bit strong. Hence why I said encouraged.

They're certainly being encouraged though, and not just by parents. Some out of ideology and some out of fear of not appearing to be 'progressive enough' or labeled and attacked as hate filled 'trans-phobics'.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just received this in a post:

The UK Covid story so far. (How we came to find ourselves with the 2nd highest death toll in the world and the importance of competent governance)

December 31st China alerts WHO to new virus.

January 23rd Study reveals a third of China’s patients require intensive care.

January 24th Boris Johnson misses first Cobra meeting.

January 29th Boris Johnson misses second Cobra meeting.

January 31st The NHS declares first ever ‘Level 4 critical incident’ Meanwhile, the government declines to join European scheme to source PPE.

February 5th Boris Johnson misses third Cobra meeting.

February 12th Boris Johnson misses fourth Cobra meeting. Exeter University published study warning Coronavirus could infect 45 million people in the UK if left unchallenged.

February 13th Boris Johnson misses conference call with European leaders.

February 14th Boris Johnson goes away on holiday. Aides are told keeps Johnson’s briefing notes short or he will not read them.

February 18th Johnson misses fifth cobra meeting.

February 26th Boris Johnson announces ‘Herd Immunity’ strategy, announcing some people will lose loved ones. Government document is leaked, predicting half a million Brits could die in ‘worse case scenario’

February 29th Boris Johnson retreats to his country manor. NHS warns of ‘PPE shortage nightmare’ Stockpiles have dwindled or expired after years of austerity cuts.

March 2nd Boris Johnson attends his first Cobra meeting, declining another opportunity to join European PPE scheme. Government’s own scientists say over half a million Brit’s could die if virus left unrestrained. Johnson tells country “We are very, very well prepared.”

March 3rd Scientists urge Government to advise public not to shake hands. Boris Johnson brags about shaking hands of Coronavirus patients.

March 4th Government stops providing daily updates on virus following a 70% spike in UK cases. They will later U-turn on this amid accusations they are withholding vital information.

March 5th Boris Johnson tells public to ‘wash their hands and business as usual’

March 7th Boris Johnson joins 82,000 people at Six Nations match.

March 9th After Ireland cancels St Patrick’s day parades, the government says there’s “No Rationale” for cancelling sporting events.

March 10th - 13th Cheltenham takes place, more than a quarter of a million people attend.

March 11th 3,000 Atletico Madrid fans fly to Liverpool.

March 12th Boris Johnson states banning events such as Cheltenham will have little effect. The Imperial College study finds the government’s plan is projected to kill half a million people.

March 13th The FA suspends the Premier League, citing an absence of Government guidance. Britain is invited to join European scheme for joint purchase of ventilators, and refuses. Boris Johnson lifts restrictions of those arriving from Coronavirus hot spots.

March 14th Government is still allowing mass gatherings, as Stereophonics play to 5,000 people in Cardiff.

March 16th Boris Johnson asks Britons not to go to pubs, but allows them to stay open. During a conference call, Johnson jokes that push to build new ventilators should be called ‘Operation Last Gasp’

March 19th Hospital patients with Coronavirus are returned to care homes in a bid to free up hospital space. What follows is a boom of virus cases in care homes.

March 20th The Government states that PPE shortage crisis is “Completely resolved” Less than two weeks later, the British Medical Association reports an acute shortage in PPE.

March 23rd UK goes into lockdown.

March 26th Boris Johnson is accused of putting ‘Brexit over Breathing’ by not joining EU ventilator scheme. The government then state they had not joined the scheme because they had ‘missed the email’

April 1st The Evening Standard publishes that just 0.17% of NHS staff have been tested for the virus.

April 3rd The UK death toll overtakes China.

April 5th 17.5 million Antibody tests, ordered by the government and described by Boris Johnson as a ‘game changer’ are found to be a failure.

April 7th Boris Johnson is moved to intensive care with Coronavirus.

April 16th Flights bring 15,000 people a day into the UK - without virus testing.

April 17th Health Secretary Matt Hancock says “I would love to be able to wave a magic wand and have PPE fall from the sky.” The UK has now missed four opportunities to join the EU’s PPE scheme.

April 21st The Government fails to reach its target of face masks for the NHS, as it is revealed manufactures offers of help were met with silence. Instead millions of pieces of PPE are being shipped from the UK to Europe.

April 23rd - 24th Government announces testing kits for 10 million key workers. Orders run out within minutes as only 5,000 are made available.

April 25th UK death toll from Coronavirus overtakes that of The Blitz.

April 30th Boris Johnson announces the UK has succeeded in avoiding a tragedy that had engulfed other parts of the world - At this point, The UK has the 3rd highest death toll in the world.

May 1st The Government announces it has reached its target of 100,000 tests - They haven’t conducted the tests, but posted the testing kits.

May 5th The UK death toll becomes the highest in Europe.

May 6th Boris Johnson announces the UK could start to lift lockdown restrictions by next week.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

They're certainly being encouraged though, and not just by parents. Some out of ideology and some out of fear of not appearing to be 'progressive enough' or labeled and attacked as hate filled 'trans-phobics'.

Let me put it this way....

I'd bet the mortgage that the number of kids who are encouraged against transitioning, far outstrips the number that are encouraged to transition. That being said, I'd be interested to see the statistics (if they exist) on how many kids are being "encouraged" to take hormones and have surgery....

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Only a parent suffering from Munchausen by proxy would force a kid to make such a choice. Nobody, even in todays much more tolerant times, would choose to be GBLTQ.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I guess some parents might do that, but how does that explain the trans kids that get kicked out of the house when the parents cant handle it? 

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Putting the "Wack" in Chilliwack <_<:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/bc-school-trustee-blasted-for-transgender-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-attacking-dr-theresa-tam/ar-BB13SSkc?li=AAggNb9

This is the kind of stuff that happens when you allow religion to make inroads into public policy....

I don't care what evangelicals want to believe, heck even go full Mormon and get the special underwear. 

But don't tell anyone else how to live their lives. Your beliefs don't grant you that right. I wish these people would mind their own gardens. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Only a parent suffering from Munchausen by proxy would force a kid to make such a choice. Nobody, even in todays much more tolerant times, would choose to be GBLTQ.

As I said, I think it's a ridiculous assumption. Parents might support a child who feels strongly about something like this, (there are statistics that show a high rate of attempted suicide by these kids) but anyone who believes that they would push their child into it, either doesn't, or shouldn't have children.

it would be child abuse, in an absolutely reprehensible form.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

More anti-lockdown protesters "peacefully" carrying around the biggest guns they can find:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/anti-lockdown-protesters-carry-weapons-into-north-carolina-sandwich-shop/ar-BB13VEKx?li=AAggNb9

Where have the police been during these demonstrations with armed individuals? I'm sure storming a state government building with guns visible us illegal?! Why were those people not arrested?

1 minute ago, Fan since 82 said:

Where have the police been during these demonstrations with armed individuals? I'm sure storming a state government building with guns visible us illegal?! Why were those people not arrested?

I can only surmise that a rocket launcher is not a prohibited weapon in NC? :unsure:

I guess the good news is that you probably couldn't carry a bunch of extra rounds in your packet.....

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Let me put it this way....

I'd bet the mortgage that the number of kids who are encouraged against transitioning, far outstrips the number that are encouraged to transition. That being said, I'd be interested to see the statistics (if they exist) on how many kids are being "encouraged" to take hormones and have surgery....

No idea where one would even hope to find such data.

And I never suggested the bolded nor am I promoting it. Let's not red herring.

I think it's a bit naive to think in today's political and social media climates that people wouldn't be fearful to act against being anything but encouraging. Or that there are certainly a number of ideologically driven people, particularly in the education and psychology fields who would indeed encourage such.

Anecdotal, but I personally know two parents who have had to fight against that very thing. And they were very encouraging of the child, just not permanent medical procedures at a young age. They weren't 'trans-phobic'.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

I've been watching Canada's mortality rate, and for about 2 weeks,  it has hovered in the 6-7% range.

I am aware that simply doing more tests will lower than number, yet it is a troubling development. :(

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

death

cases        new cases                                                    deaths      new deaths                  recovered                  critical    cases/mill  per/mill

Canada ca.png 69,907 (arrow_upward1,059) 4,992 (arrow_upward121) 32,650 7.1% 502 1,845

I'm guessing a good number came from assisted care facilities/nursing homes (which reveals the problems in our country on how we treat our elderly).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess some parents might do that, but how does that explain the trans kids that get kicked out of the house when the parents cant handle it? 

A-holes?

Again, red herring. I'm in no way arguing for those people or against trans people. I don't think we should be medically, permanently, transitioning children. It's irresponsible and dangerous. As adults, by all means.