The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Season Prediction Thread

Rate this topic

-AJ-

The whole league underestimates this team and they finish the season top 3 in their division.

There is another goalie controversy as both goalies play well.

Jake is again relegated to the 3rd and 4th lines and he requests to be traded. 

Petey and Hughes continue on and improve over last year.

Boeser improves over last year but is still inconsistent. He gets shuffled to different lines again, as does Gaudette.

OJ surprises and begins his NHL career as a legit eventual top 4 dman.

A winger is added at the trade deadline.

We make it past the first round again. 

Here goes...

As a team Vancouver “surprises” much like last year. Top three in the North and get to the second (possibly further with some luck) round again. 
Goaltending will be critical and I suspect a slight regression from the numbers Marky put up last year but bolstered by a stronger defence. 
Jake turns into a legit third line speedy forchecking machine. He isn’t going to make it on the top 6 because...

Hoglander is the sweet spot this year. He is going to fill in perfectly for Toffoli. 

This team is really coming together amd should be ready to truly compete in the next 2-3 years as the less useful vets fall off. I don’t think we will win the cup (ok I always think they will win the cup but wouldn’t bet a lot of money on it) but are not going to take the steps back that have been predicted elsewhere. This season will look a lot like last season but with better D, younger again and heading towards a more balanced cap situation in the near future. 

1. Canucks finish 1st in the North Division: 39-14-3.

2. We are going to dominate most games from start to finish. By the time the our opponents take 

us seriously we will be well seated in a playoff spot.

3. Hoglander plays select games and wows us in a few.

4. OJ has a slow start but gains momentum and is huge for us in the playoffs.

5. Demko makes us forget about Marky. Holtby has some off games but shines in most.

6. Miller/Pettersson/Boeser continue to grow. 

7. Virtanen stays even with his point production last year but is huge for us with the hits.

Lastly we win the cup vs the Islanders.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Canucks finish 4th in the CDN division MTL, TOR and 1 Alberta team finishes ahead

Demko proves he is the #1 (even tho I think he proved that in the playoffs, my opinion)

Hoglander makes team, plays well. Fades out mid/late season has he has already played 23 games in Sweden. 

Juolevi plays steady and improves. Nothing flashy, just smart hockey good on PK

MacEwen has solid offensive season 10+ goals playing on third line with Roussel and Gaudette

Make playoffs and are the last standing team in Canada. Going to say Canucks vs MTL in the CDN final. 

Really hope we can stay healthy this season. In such a short heavy schedule, I hope they aren't afraid to rest guys here and there against teams like OTT and WPG. IMO every player should get 5 games off, its just too much hockey. We saw what happened in the bubble when they played every 2nd night. Canucks had nothing left. They were done. We need to keep guys fresh so they don't get hurt. Our taxi squad gonna be huge for us. Wouldn't be surprised to see load management like the NBA lol

We will miss the post season we took a step back which is actually ok when a team is nearing the end of a rebuild and still has old slow remnants of the previous era signing more recycled vets or other teams scraps doesn’t make us the same or even better. 
The more youth we move into our line up the quicker we’ll go from wild card hopefully to cup contender. 
the d is still going to be a problem(and it won’t be the youth that struggles)  as is only having 4 top six forwards (Again) the biggest difference is markstrom won’t be here to bail out the team every night like he did last season.And yes he did. 

i like that we moved to demko and have hotby but asking them if even markstrom to repeat What the goaltender did  last season Is unrealistic. 

There are two keys for me in how our season goes:

1.  If Hoglander can actually be for real (and there are still a lot of questions... remember Shirokov was an elite all-star in pre-season?)... then not only does that add a 2nd scoring line, but also improves our bottom 6 by having someone else like Virtanen pushed down onto one of those lines.

2.  Goaltending.  As much as I am hopeful, Markstrom alone was the difference between us being a playoff bubble team and a bottom 5 team last season.  Statistically if we took out his top 5 numbers and replaced them with just league average goaltending, we would have been a lottery team with a good chance of getting the top pick.

The lesser extra variable is how Hamonic and Schmidt can help keep the puck out of our net... can Hamonic match Tanev and with Schmidt do we have better defence simply because we have the puck in the other zone more?

• Cheers 1

On 12/31/2020 at 3:25 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

I predict that if Green gets fired by game 30 this will be the shot in the arm (get it? COVID joke) the ‘Nucks need to win the Cup.

If not, just another mediocre year, maybe 4th, maybe 5th and out in first round if we make it.

I also predict canuck73 will spend most of the season once again confused.

EDIT: after someone pointed out the inter division play will be like original 6 if Green survives the season I predict a 6th pace finish, we might get off to a good start first dozen games but it’ll quickly go down hill as the intensity goes up. 

Travis Green was just predicted as the runner up this season for the Jack Adams, including 5 first place votes by the senior writers at NHL.com...have been saying for a couple years  now that THN thinks he’s got as much potential as our young core does...looks like they aren’t the only ones.    Our playoff success and out-coaching Berube and almost upsetting Vegas in sure had something to do with that prediction...not even considered a bold one anymore. 

Edited by IBatch

On 1/5/2021 at 10:58 AM, EdgarM said:

The whole league underestimates this team and they finish the season top 3 in their division.

There is another goalie controversy as both goalies play well.

Jake is again relegated to the 3rd and 4th lines and he requests to be traded. 

Petey and Hughes continue on and improve over last year.

Boeser improves over last year but is still inconsistent. He gets shuffled to different lines again, as does Gaudette.

OJ surprises and begins his NHL career as a legit eventual top 4 dman.

A winger is added at the trade deadline.

We make it past the first round again. 

i like this but change it to Boeser has a breakout season and smashes team and league records COME ON THINK POSITIVE!

On 1/5/2021 at 1:50 AM, kloubek said:

Fixed it for you. :)

I don't actually predict Vancouver will be first. I think it is possible, but every star would need to align for us. Otherwise, I feel this is a more accurate list. I'd love to look back at this post after next season to see how wrong I was.

I feel your fixed list is off but I wont "fix" anyones predictions because thats what they are. Their predictions. Thats just a trolling effort to start an argument. You dont back up your predictions with any facts. not sure why you chose to only fix my predictions ????

y opinion on the upcoming season is as stated with reasons. I Hope the Canucks finish first in the division. I know hope is not a strategy. Reality starts Jan 13. we will see who is closer to correct.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1

Love the changes we've made this year, but are we being overly optimistic this season, or is everyone else in the league just sleeping on us? Every stat/chart prediction thread outside of cdc has us middle-bottom-pack in standings. Some even have us pegged second last. Moneypuck has us at 47% at making the playoffs. Why? 

Consensus around the league: Toronto is best positioned to win the division. Canadians offseason adds put them 2nd. We've struggled to beat the jets time n time again in the reg season (1W in the last 5 years). Edm-Calgary is on par.

I hope we prove otherwise. Love it when I see "ya'll sleeping on Canucks" type comments when we clap cheeks, but hate it when we're not taken seriously around the as league. 

I would say the success this season means making the playoffs this year. 2nd round+. Beating Toronto a few times. And most importantly changing the way the league perceives us... a well rounded winning team w/the most young talent. 

Reg season:

1. Van

2  Edm

3. Tor

4. Cgy 

5. Wpg 

6. Mtl

7. Ott

Playoffs Van beats Marky and the Canuck cast always ... Edm beats Tor

Van beats Edm to win Division.  We win the next round. And the next to hoist first ever Stanley Cup!!!

Petey 71 points.

QH 55 pts.

Schmidt 50 pts 

Hog 38 pts tied for 3rd in Calder scoring 

I'll say the Canucks struggle with the high end talent in TO and Edmonton while struggling physically with Calgary and Winnipeg.

Winnipeg ends up doing them in and the Canucks go 2-7 against them.

Toronto 

Calgary 

Winnipeg 

Edmonton 

Vancouver 

Montreal 

Ottawa 

12 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I feel your fixed list is off but I wont "fix" anyones predictions because thats what they are. Their predictions. Thats just a trolling effort to start an argument. You dont back up your predictions with any facts. not sure why you chose to only fix my predictions ???

Simmer down, chap. I put a happy face in for a reason. Meant no offense - I just happened to feel like my opinions were quite different so I commented. This is a public forum, after all...

I do have my reasons for the list as I see it, though on ones where we were similar in thought, they tended to mimic your own reasons. I will concede my placement of Montreal so low is the one that might come back to bite me...

Petey 25g 37a 62p

Hughes 8g 50a 58p

Miller 24g 31a 55p

Boes 29g 22a 51p

Horvat 19g 25a 44p

Pears 17g 19a 36p

Schmidt 7g 29a 36p

Hog    15g  15a 30p

Canucks finish either first in the division or a close second behind Toronto.

I know this post looks homer as hell but I honestly think this team is being very slept on ahead of the season and I pride myself on being a realist.

They've actually taken a big step forward by making their defense A LOT better. 

Forward group essentially is the same if healthy as they rarely had both Boeser and Toffoli in the lineup together last year. And I think chemistry with the lotto line and natural progression among most of the group could make the top-six even more lethal than last year.

Biggest weakness will be the bottom six but hopefully Gaudette can take a step forward and help in that regard. Rous also looks primed for a comeback and as always who knows what Jake will do. 

I think Demko and Holtby will be a solid tandem, probably won't give the team Makrstrom level goaltending but they won't have to as the defense has improved so much. 

This team is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Book it.