The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting Married at a BC Park?

superstacker009

Hello everyone!

My partner and I are evil, so we plan to use COVID-19 as an excuse for a small and quick wedding. :)

We are also very broke, so we wanted to get married at a BC Park.

For the marriage ceremony, would a BC Park do, or do we need a rented out venue (aka legal address) for the paperwork?

If we use a BC Park, do we need a permit for the ceremony?

Thanks to everyone for their insights!

Edited by superstacker009

Congratulations!  Some welcome good news.

Just remember that until January 8/21 gatherings in parks are prohibited.  So maybe wait until after then?  Depending on who would be attending...if it's just you and your partner, I'd imagine it would be fine.  But invited guests would not be.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-bc-update-december-7-2020-1.5831343

1 hour ago, superstacker009 said:

Hello everyone!

My partner and I are evil, so we plan to use COVID-19 as an excuse for a small and quick wedding. :)

For the marriage ceremony, would a BC Park do, or do we need a rented out venue (aka legal address) for the paperwork?

Large weddings are silly anyway. Most are a waste of money imo. 

...as long as your wedding is one of the few things that happens to be small and quick, you'll have a great future. :P

Congrats.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I attended a wedding in a park in Abbotsford. It was actually a very nice wedding.

Good luck. Treat each other with dignity and respect.

Calm down before discussing (arguing about) important things. It's hard to listen to your heart when your mind is angry.

• Like 1

You can get married anywhere you want, by anyone you want in a "Ceremony". The legal part of it can be done before or after for convenience. For instance, a couple of friends I knew who got married wanted to get married in Hawaii. They had the ceremony perfomed in Hawaii by a friend of theirs and then went on their honeymoon. Then when they got back to BC they had a marriage commissoner come to their house a couple weeks later and they signed a piece of paper in front of two witnessess and they were legally married. Anyone can get married in their jeans or jogging pants if they want in their own home for a super cheap fee in BC. No ceremony needed. So go get married and then do whatever ceremony you want performed by Mickey Mouse if you want.

By the way don't fall for the whole wedding scam thing or diamond rings. All just a huge rip off and the biggest scheme going. Diamonds are a waste of money and are not rare, nor are they that special and they certainly dont increase in value. Remember someone is getting super rich off these "traditions" and it isn't you!

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

By the way don't fall for the whole wedding scam thing or diamond rings. All just a huge rip off and the biggest scheme going. Diamonds are a waste of money and are not rare, nor are they that special and they certainly dont increase in value. Remember someone is getting super rich off these "traditions" and it isn't you!

Having the bling is nice.  Sends a message.  I gave my wife on our wedding day a set that was made in the 1940s. It looked amazing.  But for her, she has a lot of pride in my gift to her.  We have been married 22 years and sincerely love each other.  And that ring on her finger is a symbol of that love.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, superstacker009 said:

Hello everyone!

You can get married any where, even in front of a fire hydrant if you wanted to! Defintely a cheaper route. All you need is of course the marriage license and pay the municipality fee (if you're getting married at a burnaby park, for example, you'll have to go to city hall of burnaby to buy the permit which isn't expensive)

3 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

i like ice and gold  it has value   u can find your own diamonds if u want even. Debeers isa scam  they should all be shot. they ripped my grand father off in east africa back in the day  but back then diamonds were the property of the queen. 

Have the ceremony and wedding you want not what other want. My wife and I had a ceremony with just us the registrar and two witnesses in a lovely country inn in New England. 

We had a small reception for family when we came back but we had a wedding and a 10 day honeymoon for less than what most people would spend on a long holiday. (It also helps my wife used to run a travel agents so had contacts but even so) 

if you are legally allowed to be in the parks (not sure what the COVID restrictions are in BC) then by all means go for it. 

im pretty sure when you look back you won’t regret having a small intimate wedding whereas a lot of people I know come to resent the large wedding and costs of them down the line and wish it was smaller and more personal. 

Plus it would be a good way to make a good memory during these times which are few and far between. 

if you decide later you wanted something more lavish you could always on the 1st anniversary do a rededication ceremony with friends and family. 

9 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I totally agree with this. I used to be the superficial type..had to have the latest everything.

But, what does that really do for me?, Instead invest your money, save your money or put it towards your mortgage, honeymoon.

A piece of jewellery doesn't mean squat when yo die but memories last forever, Glad my gf thinks alike.

19 hours ago, superstacker009 said:

Hello everyone!

Congrats.

I would ensure if an area is desired to use then to make sure you have the space and time designated by any authority.

A couple years back a high traffic area of beach with park land was taped off and the people at the wedding had their day destroyed by trying to " on their own " tape off a busy beach and park spot for the ceremony. They claimed to have called the Parks department and were told their ceremony was fine but I guess nobody thought to go further into it.

Beachgoers, dog walkers, families with coolers and inflatables etc pushing tape and walking through...a beautiful day but no permits or documents in hand and no enforcement.

• Vintage 1

This was a friend's uncle....she was at this wedding.  If the park has events booked there (or in the vicinity) it could really impact things.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/munson-mountain-wedding-woes-for-couple-after-it-collides-with-penticton-multisport-event/it45473

PENTICTON - A Summerland bride and groom’s big day was derailed by the seemingly inexplicable behaviour of Penticton ITU Multisport Festival volunteers near Munson Mountain last weekend.

Guests were delayed, forced to walk in dress clothes to the Munson Mountain park for the wedding and a key guest couldn't get to the event, all after an apparent communications glitch between Multisport organizers and volunteers over road closure procedures in the area.

Ray and Laurel Mantha’s plan for a wedding atop Munson Mountain began last year when Ray applied to the City of Penticton for a permit for the ceremony. He waited until January of this year to receive confirmation, and was never informed about the Multisport event and road closures scheduled around Munson Mountain on Saturday, Aug. 19, the same day as the wedding.

“We thought we were fine. We wanted our guests to come along the City's lakeshore, to see how beautiful Penticton is, but when we looked at the road closures, we thought, no, this isn’t going to work,” Laurel says.

Instead, they routed their guests through back roads, getting them to the intersection of Middle Bench Road and Tupper Avenue, a stone's throw away from the entrance to Munson Mountain.

But that short section of road was closed and manned by flaggers, as were other access routes to the mountain....

You can use the parks for free if you like.   
if you want it more private and want to actually set stuff up and have people, a lot of parks have bookable areas that you can access on the city websites.  

If it’s just you two, the person doing the ceremony, and maybe some parents, just go to your favourite spot and bang it out quick.  Maybe get a friend to come and keep the crowd away for 10 minutes (depending on the park).  
If done right, it’s FREE!

Followed by a nice dinner out, boom!  Wedding for under 500$

obviously don’t set up a wedding ceremony at a multi sports plex.   What a stupid idea. Hahah. “I wonder if this soccer field, baseball diamond, running track, playground and dog park will be busy....”.  Hahahah.  

PM me if you want.   We considered doing just this, and I have been to damn near every park in the lower mainland.  

Edited by drummerboy