The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

I think firing Green would be a terrible mistake. The Canucks may see a mass exodus of the young guys, because Green is a young players coach. Green relates well to the players and they really like him.

The person responsible for putting them in this Cap mess, which in turn eventually caused the team to lose their MVP and a Top 6 scorer., should be held accountable. VAN is stuck with several contracts to aging bottom 6 vets they can't trade. And the bottom 6 sucks. The team is losing and playing poorly, the star players appear unhappy, the new guys must be thinking, "What the heck is going on here? I thought VAN was a good team?"  Well, they were a few short months ago.

Looking at the shots Markstrom faced every night for the past 2 years, 40+ usually, he kept them in games and won them a bunch. It wasn't because Myers and Edler and Hughes were amazing at D. Rule #1 should be: Keep your best goalie.  He rolled the dice on Demko, but he sure doesn't look very good. He's trying to cut further costs by inserting inexperienced Euros (Hoglander and Juolevi) into tough roles in their rookie season.  Thankfully Hogz has risen to the occasion, and Juolevi has looked pretty decent.. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I hope not.. those guys are leaders and pretty mature. They can be disappointed but still do their jobs.  

Guys like Schmidt, Holtby and Hamonic are pretty well regarded too - not like JB gutted the team and left them completely hanging.

if we had somehow kept Markstrom and Tanev and gave them what Calgary gave them. then probably in a few years everyone would be blaming JB for signing them for long contracts. lets face it , last season Tanev played without an injury which was about time since almost every year he got injured. as for Marky, he he could only play so many games in a row and then he was tired and then he played awful or he got injured, look at the playoffs , he got injured and Demko took over, he was the best goalie in the nhl. many on here wanted Markstrom gone because of that. give Demko a chance! and the team

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Burrows - Sedin vibes? 

Motte-Petey-Miller could be an excellent line

and where would you put Boeser? i would trade Motte with Pearson a few shifts to see what happens. but the players need to gel with each other now and changing lines might be a great idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think firing Green would be a terrible mistake. The Canucks may see a mass exodus of the young guys, because Green is a young players coach. Green relates well to the players and they really like him.

The person responsible for putting them in this Cap mess, which in turn eventually caused the team to lose their MVP and a Top 6 scorer., should be held accountable. VAN is stuck with several contracts to aging bottom 6 vets they can't trade. And the bottom 6 sucks. The team is losing and playing poorly, the star players appear unhappy, the new guys must be thinking, "What the heck is going on here? I thought VAN was a good team?"  Well, they were a few short months ago.

Looking at the shots Markstrom faced every night for the past 2 years, 40+ usually, he kept them in games and won them a bunch. It wasn't because Myers and Edler and Hughes were amazing at D. Rule #1 should be: Keep your best goalie.  He rolled the dice on Demko, but he sure doesn't look very good. He's trying to cut further costs by inserting inexperienced Euros (Hoglander and Juolevi) into tough roles in their rookie season.  Thankfully Hogz has risen to the occasion, and Juolevi has looked pretty decent.. 

With hindsight, JB definitely shot himself in the foot with his past signing - hopefully he has learned something and the only way to find out is what he will do moving forward.  IMO, any more roster tinkering cannot fix the structure and strategy being employed by the team on ice cause even the new players are struggling and CT (as one example) seems to had integrated himself well in Calgarys’ system - imo.

Just now, VforVirtanen said:

With the tremendous benefit of hindsight, I would generally agree! 

Look at it this way. If a player is excellent at face-offs they are winning a majority of face-offs, not 90 or 100% of face-offs.

Why is that standard not applied to GMs? If they are making more good decisions than bad, I am willing to excuse an inevitable mistake or two along the way.

Loui is an obvious example. In hindsight, Toffoli may have proven to be another, but we are still looking at a very small sample size.

Eriksson signing as bad as it is, I won't criticize him for giving him that term and money. At the time of the signing, Eriksson cam off of a 30 goal and 60+ points season. That's the price you pay to acquire someone like him in the UFA market. Whether or not the Canucks should've made that move is on another topic. At the time, I wasn't upset about that signing and as much as I hate that signing now, I don't blame Benning for making that move.

Beagle and Roussel signings however, were absolutely bad and doesn't make sense if you ask me. He gave them too much money and too much term (there are not sugar coating it) even if it is pre-covid. Yes, Beagle brings faceoff and veteran leadership, so does Brad Richardson and Nate Thompson. Case and point is that if Benning had just re-signed Richardson at just slightly more than $2 million per in the summer of 2015, IMO, we won't even need to bring in Jay Beagle. If Benning gave Beagle $3 million per for 2 years, then I can still live with it as it is on a shorter term deal. The fact that he got $3 million per for 4 years + he couldn't move on from that contract once the team gets competitive shows lack of planning, foresight and creativity.

Same goes for Roussel, 2 too many years and too much money.

In the summer of 2018, what the Canucks should've done was with the $14 million off the books from the Sedins retiring, they should weaponize the cap by pick up other team's expiring bad contracts and gaining extra draft picks. Those players on bad contract would only be here for a year, and they could still be veteran/leadership that they are looking for.

Or they should not bring in someone for the sake of bringing in someone. Case and point, the Montreal Canadiens have had extra cap space for years, they don't use it to pick up a player unless it is a player they really want and in a reasonable cost. They chose the perfect year to weaponize their cap and built up a solid team for a good run at the cup (at least for this year).

This is not me speaking with hindsight, it is just planning. He should've known the consequence these signing could bring and not go head over heals to try and acquire players for the sake of acquiring players.

Yes, those players bring intangible like "leadership" and "veteran presence." Yet, when talking about leaders in the room last year, the young guys favourite veteran was by far Chris Tanev. If you are going to pay up for that intangible, atleast use that money on him.

Case and point is, with or without hindsight, with or without COVID, those signings were not a smart decision.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Burrows - Sedin vibes? 

Motte-Petey-Miller could be an excellent line

I would hope putting 4th liners on the top line died in the age of Vey, Megna and Chaput. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I have always been a Benning/Green supporter. In hind sight there are some moves that Benning has made that I haven't liked  starting with LE - and sometimes I wonder who really wanted him signed to pay with the Sedins - Jim? Trevor? Frankie?  We will never know.   Beagle - Rousell.- Sutter will soon be gone. (Maybe not soon enough for some)

But looking at the  picture as a whole - we have so much talent  coming up through the pipeline and Green seems to be able to get the best out of our young players. We still need at least 2 - 3 years  to be a contender for the cup.

I think we find the team will pull it together here quickly - new vets and kids will become more versed with the systems.

The biggest upgrade I would like to see is a new PP coach and maybe a Baumer replacement. The rest I would let ride for the season. 

Now I'm willing to bet lots will disagree  and that's all good.  We are all still cheering for the same team.

Enjoy the game tonight

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bree2 said:

if we had somehow kept Markstrom and Tanev and gave them what Calgary gave them. then probably in a few years everyone would be blaming JB for signing them for long contracts. lets face it , last season Tanev played without an injury which was about time since almost every year he got injured. as for Marky, he he could only play so many games in a row and then he was tired and then he played awful or he got injured, look at the playoffs , he got injured and Demko took over, he was the best goalie in the nhl. many on here wanted Markstrom gone because of that. give Demko a chance! and the team

JB has himself only to blame but letting CT and JM go at those prices is the right move long term.  Choosing a cheaper but unproven Demko carries a lot of risk but the only way to find out if he is a keeper or not is to just play him now in this shorten season and the same goes for the prospects.  Currently, the season seems like a wash and would probably be prudent to play these rookies to see if there is something there or move on and replenish the prospect cupboard.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chanmanx007 said:

Hi all, first time poster here.. currently in Seattle but decided to dip into the NHL fan base and get excited for our own team! Learning hockey through Canucks!

Welcome! Don't be put off by the negativity right now. It will all hopefully change to delirious joy in a couple games time. 

1 minute ago, Chanmanx007 said:

Hi all, first time poster here.. currently in Seattle but decided to dip into the NHL fan base and get excited for our own team! Learning hockey through Canucks!

Welcome to our dysfunctional and bipolar fanbase :)

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Chanmanx007 said:

Welcome! We will be enemies soon :towel:lol

but seriously, I'm looking forward to many years of good competition between VAN and SEA. 

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

JB has himself only to blame but letting CT and JM go at those prices is the right move long term.  Choosing a cheaper but unproven Demko carries a lot of risk but the only way to find out if he is a keeper or not is to just play him now in this shorten season and the same goes for the prospects.  Currently, the season seems like a wash and would probably be prudent to play these rookies to see if there is something there or move on and replenish the prospect cupboard.  

luongo on the books was not JB fault , 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Chanmanx007 said:

Welcome.

"We" are not a good benchmark for fandom. On a scale of 'the sky is falling' to 'leafs fan in February' we are firmly in the middle of those two. And yes, the scale starts out at 'past worst case scenario' as you've seen. Every move criticized regardless of it being hindsight or not and people who have never played any level of hockey except on Playstation deciding they know better than people who played pro.

Don't be like "us". You can be so much more. Also don't be like those smarmy spoiled Vegas fans.

• Like 1