The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 minutes ago, tas said:

like I mentioned, it's easy for fans to see and accept that angle. for the players in the room though, they don't look at tanev and markstrom and think, "oh, these guys are 31, you can't afford to lock them up long term." they see two brothers who are beasts and in their primes and who were huge parts of the tightest group this organization has ever seen getting completely disrespected by management and/or ownership whoever is ultimately responsible for that decision. 

Like someone else said, though, if they’re intentionally throwing games as a temper tantrum for losing some players that’s pretty piss poor behaviour. 

Like, “I’m going to embarrass myself and let everyone down because I’m disappointed” usually isn’t the MO of top level athletes. They’d be letting down Green and the rest of the coaching staff too.  

Plus, Bo and Miller are still playing their tails off... really you’re just saying Pettersson is having a hissy fit.

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Like someone else said, though, if they’re intentionally throwing games as a temper tantrum for losing some players that’s pretty piss poor behaviour. 

Like, “I’m going to embarrass myself and let everyone down because I’m disappointed” usually isn’t the MO of top level athletes. They’d be letting down Green and the rest of the coaching staff too.  

Plus, Bo and Miller are still playing their tails off... really you’re just saying Pettersson is having a hissy fit.

I don't think they're throwing games by any means -- look at petey's frustration, slamming his stick, and the relief when he scored. look at the frustration on hughes's face on the bench, how distraught he looks with his play, while sutter is trying to reassure him and build him up. these guys still care. they're still pros, and they're still players who expect the best from themselves. but they're also, in my opinion, emotionally gutted and likely have a lot of conflicted emotions right now.

the most telling thing was petey saying, 3 games into the year, that he didn't have a lot of confidence. this is a guy whose confidence has never wavered seemingly even for a second to that point in his career. what could have gone so wrong in the first 3 games that it hurt his confidence more than anything that happened in the 2 years prior?

it really is the only answer as far as I can see. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think they're throwing games by any means -- look at petey's frustration, slamming his stick, and the relief when he scored. look at the frustration on hughes's face on the bench, how distraught he looks with his play, while sutter is trying to reassure him and build him up. these guys still care. they're still pros, and they're still players who expect the best from themselves. but they're also, in my opinion, emotionally gutted and likely have a lot of conflicted emotions right now.

the most telling thing was petey saying, 3 games into the year, that he didn't have a lot of confidence. this is a guy whose confidence has never wavered seemingly even for a second to that point in his career. what could have gone so wrong in the first 3 games that it hurt his confidence more than anything that happened in the 2 years prior?

If it is because he lost some buddies on the team than he is not the franchise player that he is billed to be. 

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

If it is because he lost some buddies on the team than he is not the franchise player that he is billed to be. 

Relax, he's only 22 and is in just his third year in the league. The first 2 years he was here there were no real roster changes and now it is his first time having to deal with the business side of the game. It takes a little getting used too, he is already adapting and will be just fine.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

the most telling thing was petey saying, 3 games into the year, that he didn't have a lot of confidence

Maybe he meant he no longer has confidence in management. The room has changed.

Petey's playing like he doesn't care much, maybe he (and Hughes) are emotionally gutted losing their mentors. I hope the team can rebound and start winning games, that should build some team confidence and then maybe they'll start having fun again. 

1 hour ago, VforVirtanen said:

JB is a tough negotiator and sticks to his guns by not re-signing players to a detrimental contract long term = bad GM

JB is a soft negotiator and signs players to a generous contract= bad GM

Glad folks are so consistent in this fan base. 

so what you are saying is Jim is a bad GM

Anyone believe in Canuckluck now....

I blame it on naming the original Vancouver hockey team the "Millionares"....really obnoxious name for a team...

Welcome to Canuckluck Oli....hits the post with a rocket of a shot that cleanly beat Price from well out...hustles his butt back up the ice to break up a rush and the puck goes in the net off of his stick...

just like Louie's first goal with us....the empty netter into our own goal...

Just like the 2-3 posts a game that EP has been hitting...

Just like the way EP can't seem to keep upright on his skates this year...

Last game we played rugby for the first period...that is all on Green....we played like we should be playing in the 2nd, but not much luck as usual...in the 3rd we played like an AHL team...

I am still thinking Green just isn't right for this team...the fact that he was a skill guy in junior but got told to be an energy/checker in the NHL if he wanted to stick around...

That just leaves him screwing around with our star players....if he turns EP into a checker...and doesn't let Hogs do his thing....Green has to go...

I don't think we have had a good coach for 30 years or so really....

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, VforVirtanen said:

So if that is the side you are coming down on, you agree with him walking away from long contracts for Tofolli, Markstrom and Tanev?

Not matching those contracts for Markstrom and Tanev made sense. Not having the room to match the contract MTL offer to Toffoli is poor planning and lack of creativity if you ask me.

28 minutes ago, lmm said:

so what you are saying is Jim is a bad GM

Definitely not what I am saying.

I think Jim has made the decisions on which contracts to sign in the long term interests of the team at the time they were signed.

All these folks are able to much so much better decisions with hindsight on their side!

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

Not matching those contracts for Markstrom and Tanev made sense. Not having the room to match the contract MTL offer to Toffoli is poor planning and lack of creativity if you ask me.

With the tremendous benefit of hindsight, I would generally agree! 

Look at it this way. If a player is excellent at face-offs they are winning a majority of face-offs, not 90 or 100% of face-offs.

Why is that standard not applied to GMs? If they are making more good decisions than bad, I am willing to excuse an inevitable mistake or two along the way.

Loui is an obvious example. In hindsight, Toffoli may have proven to be another, but we are still looking at a very small sample size.

49 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think they're throwing games by any means -- look at petey's frustration, slamming his stick, and the relief when he scored. look at the frustration on hughes's face on the bench, how distraught he looks with his play, while sutter is trying to reassure him and build him up. these guys still care. they're still pros, and they're still players who expect the best from themselves. but they're also, in my opinions emotionally gutted and likely have a lot of conflicted emotions right now.

Yeah - I think there’s a leadership void for sure and maybe some ripple effects from the shake up in the room.  

We’re definitely not as cohesive as we looked last year. 

I also think losing your MVP goalie and best defensive d man explains a lot of what we’ve seen early, psychology aside.

Hopefully this is a learning situation as we work through it!

Edited by ilduce39