The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

New York gave up on Bertuzzi at age 22.  Yes by 24 he became a stud.  Virtanen is already 24, turning 25 in the summer.  Bertuzzi didn’t need to have too much of a defensive game as he played with 2 defensively responsible players.  His job was to play as a true power forward and use his size and physicality to change the pace of the game.  He did his job very well.  Virtanen has similar tools to Bertuzzi but for whatever reason has not used them to his advantage up to this point.  

I would say at age 25 it doesn’t look good for Virtanen being anything more than a 3rd line winger...

"Stud" is a stretch imo - at 24 he was +7 goals and +7 assists over Virtanen's last season - and still a completely vacant player without the puck.

Keeping in mind that 25/25 in the waning days of pond hockey isn't as impressive as it may seem (relative to 18/18 playing 13:05 a night on the Canucks 3rd line).

Naslund, Cassels, Mogiliny, Captain dipcrap - there were a few decent linemates to help Bert produce....

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Your point?

he uses high flex, which is fine 

we always test our flex 

play much?

Yeah and I can tell what your role was dusty.

Kid has a fine shot don’t fix what’s not broken.

Just now, JoshuaGuy said:

Virtanen better defensively, can stay on his feet and gets shots on PP2. Gaudette ... I don't know what he does. 

Jake shoots and that’s about it. He doesn’t engage in the play, he floats and watches board battles and never finishes a check.