The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You read the quotes and you don't realize they're google translated into somehing else than original content? Ok ;-)

LIsten - I'm not defending LE or his contract, just saying

1) If you say that there are 31 teams in the league who has 12 better forwards I'll leave that up to everybody to judge for themselves

2) LE has a kind of hovering presence (like Mats Sunding for instance) but he's always been like that, I'm pretty sure he gives 100% on each shift and as someone said during the playoffs when it matters he plays "big boy hockey"

4 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Listen Einstein... 

You're the one who was knocking two guys in one thread, especially regarding Green knowing who to put in and who to take out. Yeah, you're on a roll. The reality is... these guys do have an ego, and if you think "it's not the way it is", good luck with that. Stop being a brown noser and pay attention to the reality that's happening, especially the subtext that's happening behind the scenes.

If players are upset where theyre playing in the line up given how God awful the team has been doing, then yeah, there definitely is a problem behind the scenes.  

Green is trying to make adjustments and when I hear we should start feeling pitty for a player for DEAR LORD playing on a different line then yeah, I'm going to speak my mind about that.  

I've already stated what I think about line up decisions.  I don't think players are nearly as self centered and have as fragile egos as you seem to think.  I think that's a bad take and you can certainly disagree with mine.

9 minutes ago, J-P said:

That's just so lame. Watch the games. Granted, LE has no offense anymore but he sure is a defensively responsible forward who has caused like zero turnovers per game in x number of seasons which is what we need right now. LE is not living up to his contract and he doesn't do anything physically- and yes, this is a problem no denying that - but to say he's a floater when he's always giving his everything when he's on the ice just shows you don't watch/understand the games. Compare him with Virtanen and at this stage of their careers you get Virts with higher offensive upside but LE with the consistent effort. And then consider what brings most upside to the roster over a full season. Again, not defending LE, it would be best for everyone if he just retired, but so say that no NHL coach should play LE is just so dumb.

He isn't an NHL quality player, and that's why - despite still paying him 6 million freaking dollars - he's watched every game this season.

Maybe your clouding 'defensively responsible' with too slow to make it out of his own zone before the other team brings the puck back in.

I'm with Heffy, that lazy floater shouldn't wear the jersey this year. I've been done with the little things experiment for years.

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

If players are upset where theyre playing in the line up given how God awful the team has been doing, then yeah, there definitely is a problem behind the scenes.  

Green is trying to make adjustments and when I hear we should start feeling pitty for a player for DEAR LORD playing on a different line then yeah, I'm going to speak my mind about that.  

I've already stated what I think about line up decisions.  I don't think players are nearly as self centered and have as fragile egos as you seem to think.  I think that's a bad take and you can certainly disagree with mine.

Then you have no clue.

25 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Man some posters  just want people on hear to pretend like everything is fine. Posters are allowed to point out the things wrong with this team. It doesn’t mean they are giving up or should or they are not a true fan. People don’t want to read negative comments, well then don’t. The way this team has been built in 7 years is not good enough to contend and it should be. Posters are pointing that out. It’s obvious how bad we are right now because of the goals against and Benning saying comments such as I ran out of time. It just makes the organization look incompetent. Fans have a right to feel embarassed and voice their displeasure. It says Canucks talk, it doesn’t say Canucks talk only if you are positive and want to paint everything with rose coloured glasses on.

Dude it has nothing to do with being negative right now. The guy has never said one good thing ever and always post crap Twitter updates. Sorry dude but there’s always negative stuff surrounding the team but to compound it to the point where there’s nothing left. That my beef 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Davathor said:

He isn't an NHL quality player, and that's why - despite still paying him 6 million freaking dollars - he's watched every game this season.

Maybe your clouding 'defensively responsible' with too slow to make it out of his own zone before the other team brings the puck back in.

I'm with Heffy, that lazy floater shouldn't wear the jersey this year. I've been done with the little things experiment for years.

Not saying he should be in the lineup, that's debatable, but you did watch the playoffs when Horvat/Pearson/LE dominated right? And you realized that LE had a big part in that?

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not saying he should be in the lineup, that's debatable, but you did watch the playoffs when Horvat/Pearson/LE dominated right? And you realized that LE had a big part in that?

I'll admit, when that line took off and Bo took the reins... I was actually pretty impressed with Loui.

I mean being part of the teams best line for 10 playoff games and not even getting a pity assist. That's insane.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

I'll admit, when that line took off and Bo took the reins... I was actually pretty impressed with Loui.

I mean being part of the teams best line for 10 playoff games and not even getting a pity assist. That's insane.

He was doing a lot of little things very well from a defensive standpoint.   He’s not named “little things” Loui for nothing.   If people can ignore the fact that he’s grossly overpaid, they’ll realize that he’s easily one of our best defensive players.

5 minutes ago, Joe Blough said:

Oh my gerd! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!:frantic:

Sell the team! Fire the front office and coaches and trade all the players for picks!

Is any journey in life a straight line? Any at all? Or is it progress at all costs? Regression is forbidden? Doesn't seem like a very realistic perspective to me.

This season has a pile of extenuating circumstances that make performance at a high level difficult. I would suspect that not getting off to a good start exacerbates it. They have by far the most games played in the league; very little time off to rest, review performances, practice.... Being in a funk and not being able to come together to be with each other outside the rink, as teammates, as people, to support each other to get through it has a major impact I’m sure. Lots of stuff going on that is probably contributing to the effort we’re seeing.

I think patience is a virtue this season. Give them some latitude. If they suck this season, it’s a good season to suck. They will learn and grow from it.

Go Canucks go! I have a feeling they’re going to play hard and disciplined and win tonight! :towel:

My thoughts exactly. Tampa and Colorado have had their share of ups and downs since 2008, but Tampa reached the pinnacle last year and I won't be surprised if the Avs do as well in the next couple of years. Our rebuild started in 2013 with the drafting of Horvat, and although we have the foundation laid out for a beauty of a core, we're not quite there yet. A lot of what I'm saying mirrors@DarkIndianRises' post, but looking at the big picture, I believe that that's what we should be expecting here. 

Who knows...? Maybe Benning gets let go much like Hextall did (another candidate for the GM position that Linden really liked after Gillis' firing), but like Hextall, Benning set the foundation for this team to have a very bright future, but another guy comes in (like, in Philly's case, Chuck Fletcher) to build the team into a contender. I don't know if something like this will happen, but it's a possibility.

I, like many of you, am disappointed with how the season has started, but that, I feel, is just part of the process here. And sure, it doesn't make me feel any better that Toffoli has embarrased us a month into the season and Marky shut us out in his first game against us, but it is what it is. Stand tall, everyone. By the time we're allowed to have fans back in the building, we'll be ready to compete with the big dogs. I'd say 2022-2023 is a realistic expectation. Just enjoy the ride, folks!

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

He was doing a lot of little things very well from a defensive standpoint.   He’s not named “little things” Loui for nothing.   If people can ignore the fact that he’s grossly overpaid, they’ll realize that he’s easily one of our best defensive players.

It is what it is, I just hope he comes in motivated and elevates his game to the likes of a young Jan Bulis

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Borderline Canuck said:

Glad to see LE back in the lineup.  He may not score a lot but his defense is excellent and we need that.  And as far as no offense, he consistently digs the puck out of the corners and gets it back to the point.  And Bo loves playing with him.

that loser won't be going into corners when Simmonds is ready to lay a guy out like he did on Hughes. LE is a waste of space, guy playing won't magically mean we allow 4 less goals against per game on his own...The TEAM has to be better as a whole! Might start if the coach tightened up their playing style to try and help the D out but players also have to stop handing it over like its a hot potato and their hands are gonna get burnt if they hold onto it for half a second longer

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

When Benning comes out and says they ran out of time, it shows incompetence. He had plenty of time to get rid of money and couldn’t which also shows he doesn’t have the ability to shed money when they have to. He should have never handed out contracts to players like Baertchi, Sutter, roussel, Beagle, and he should have done more investigating into Ferland’s situation. Having 20 million spent on our bottom forwards is bad compared to the rest of the league. He gave contract extensions to Newell Brown and Baumgartner in the middle of the season last year when it wasn’t needed. I don’t get the Baumgartner extension as the team defence has been brutal. Markstrom was a big reason why our GAA was respectable. The shot totals were bad last year too. So yes I do think he has shown incompetence. He has wasted a lot of money.

"Get rid of money" isn't a one sided deal though.   Someone has to "take" what you want to "give".  If we don't want players what makes them attractive to other teams?  

How do you do "more investigating" into Ferland?  Bottom line is it took him fighting to get us to where we are...he tried.  We needed what he potentially was going to bring.  Concussions aren't all the same OR predictable.  Sven too.  

Some of what you're saying - sure.  But it's also easier to use hindsight in a current situation that really doesn't offer a lot of that.