Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jake Virtanen for Tony Deangelo

I totally understand what the Op is suggesting

I do not think he is the right player for us to add, but I get it

Turn over every rock........I agree OP

Personally, my POV is Benning needs to bite the bullet and go purchase Tryamkin

We need a RHD that can play with Hughes

Now when I say get Tryamkin

It only allows us 2 more options...............

Either playing Tryamkin or Schmidt along side Hughes

the other plays alongside Edler

Now, the 3rd thing is Chatfield needs to platoon with another Dman

and Juolevi needs ice time to develop

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nor do we need another defenceman who can't play defence. 

Ah yes so should we continue playing career AHL plugs like Chatfield who isn't really good at anything? I have to admit I'm hesitant about the idea of trading for DeAngelo for the reasons above, but honestly we're not particularly good at anything right now. Trading for him as controversial as it may be, would at least improve something perhaps? I don't know man. *shrugs*

No way in hell.

Nope.

Chatfield'll be fine...he's been thrust into a pretty daunting situation and this isn't the norm.  We're not doing anything very well and that's not a great way to start out.  I feel like it's unfair to judge him in this environment right now.  Give him a bit of time to figure it out.  At least he doesn't play "scared".

• Like 1

For all the hate on DeAngelo, there's also the fact that if Jake could be lazy and party too much in a mellower city like Vancouver, he's going to be so lost in the glitz and glamour of Broadway and Manhattan.  Sounds like a lose-lose (4th rounder ends up being the best value for us?)

41 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

For all the hate on DeAngelo, there's also the fact that if Jake could be lazy and party too much in a mellower city like Vancouver, he's going to be so lost in the glitz and glamour of Broadway and Manhattan.  Sounds like a lose-lose (4th rounder ends up being the best value for us?)

Good point.

Sticking to hockey; the problem with DeAngelo is his contract. 4.8 million for a guy who's defensive play simply hasn't been good enough.

While DeAngelo's skills could help us, and getting a pick along with the deal might be the saving grace, I'd prefer not to add more potential deadweight money to our cap. 

Not to mention the 'attitude' issues. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Good point.

Sticking to hockey; the problem with DeAngelo is his contract. 4.8 million for a guy who's defensive play simply hasn't been good enough.

While DeAngelo's skills could help us, and getting a pick along with the deal might be the saving grace, I'd prefer not to add more potential deadweight money to our cap. 

The OP said 25% retained = $3.6 million.  It's true though, if management hates him or he's just a floater then that would make our back end even more of a tire fire.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DanHamhoose said:

I don't think they would do that? Jake is a career 3rd line plug. We'd have to start at Hughes and honestly from what I've seen I think I'd take the gamble. Something's gotta give.

Why?  He was waived and nobody took him for free.   As of now NYR will have to pay a hefty price to free up that much cap space .... and unless he's repaired his reputation and done quite a lot of penance he's never playing another NHL game anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Good point.

The only deal that makes some sense for any team, is if NYR take on some cap just to jettison him and the team that takes him exiles him.   For us that would mean LE and they 50% retain .... they'd have to really hate the kid to do that to there club, but stranger things have happened.