The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - worst defensive team in the NHL?

Rate this topic

Quinn Skates

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I was looking at 5v5 only.

Regardless, what exactly is your point lol?

You said the worst, I showed you were wrong, now you say you were talking about 5v5.

Goal post moving, for the win.

Edited by gurn

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

You said the worst, I showed you were wrong, now you say you were talking about 5v5, so now you got it right.

Even at 5v5 I'm "wrong" because Ottawa allows 0.1 GA/G at 5v5.

Except it doesn't really matter because it's a neglible amount when you consider our scoring chances and expected goals against (which I've already pointed out are the worst).

Like I said, statistically, we're lucky right now to be slightly better than the Ottawa Senators in the goals against column.

So, I don't see how I'm wrong :P

e/ and 5v5 numbers are typically used as they provide a larger/significant sample size.

Edited by kanucks25

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Even at 5v5 I'm "wrong" because Ottawa allows 0.1 GA/G at 5v5.

Except it doesn't really matter because it's a neglible amount when you consider our scoring chances and expected goals against (which I've already pointed out are the worst).

Like I said, statistically, we're lucky right now to be slightly better than the Ottawa Senators in the goals against column.

So, I don't see how I'm wrong :P

e/ and 5v5 numbers are typically used as they provide a larger/significant sample size.

maybe try being right, or using the right stats.

It would save us both time?

lol

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Marky has had similar stats for five years. 

How many of those years did we have a bad defence? 

Pouliot, Gudbranson comes to mind... 

Has Marky been elite for at least 4 of those 5 year? 

One thing we don't know is what Green thinks

He let Hughes attack a lot. So it might be a purpose behind it all. 

No, he wasn't. It was a year and half ago when he turned his career around. You could always count on Marky to let in that soft, easy one early in the game. It wasn't until Clark started working with him that he improved significantly. 

• Upvote 1

If defence is only measured by what players you put on the ice then what is the purpose of having a coach behind the bench?  Isn't defence the responsibility of all the players on the ice, not just the defencemen?  Right now it seems to be a systems problem, not a player problem.  We shouldn't be the worst in the league.  The way this team plays as a whole needs to change.  Also, it looks like some players have either lost confidence in themselves or have quit on the coach.  Pettersson looks like a 7th round draft pick out there.  Is that because he is so pissed that Marky isn't around?  Or maybe Green has lost the room.  Take your pick.

what would a new gm and coach and you do to make this a winning team? what would their magic wand do? would they be able to move louie and rid the world of covid and only make good trades and draft only superstars? if they can, then i say okay. i'ld rather see them try and get the team turned around this year,  then if they can't, get rid of them all or move the franchise to quebec.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

No, he wasn't. It was a year and half ago when he turned his career around. You could always count on Marky to let in that soft, easy one early in the game. It wasn't until Clark started working with him that he improved significantly. 

I argue that the easy goals you talk about is due to exposure he shouldn't have had. 

It is probably a myth because Marky has the same stats during these five years and he used to have Pouliot and Gudbranson in front of him.

It was close to the same talk about him when I started watching and Marky was amazing. 

Have you seen the in depth statistic over the five years I talk about? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what would a new gm and coach and you do to make this a winning team? what would their magic wand do? would they be able to move louie and rid the world of covid and only make good trades and draft only superstars? if they can, then i say okay. i'ld rather see them try and get the team turned around this year,  then if they can't, get rid of them all or move the franchise to quebec.

Well, the Blues were at the bottom of the league standings around Christmas in 2018/2019, gassed Mike Yeo, promoted Berube, went on a tear and won the cup. Now I'm not making any comparisons to that Blues team and this Canuck team, but sometimes change is needed in order to right the ship. I don't think the Canucks are a very balanced team and have a lot of deficiencies but I refuse to believe they are as bad as they are showing. 

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The players are fine.   Coaching and Systems are at fault.   Put Edler with Schmidt, keep the Horvat, Pearson, Eriksson line together to shut down. 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Sutter-Hoglander

Motte-Beagle-Virtanen (or MacEwen)

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Benn

Juolevi-Myers

Use Sutter as part of a load management strategy so that he stays healthy.  Alternate him with Gaudette.  

That’s very similar to the line-up that started the year 9-3-3 last season.

The other idea is to stack one line so that it gets the team going. 

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Sutter-Miller

Hoglander-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Schmidt 

Edler-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Funny how “Canucks fans” at HF along with the toxic media members in this city point to the “fact” that we were only good because of Markstrom last year and yet have zero issue in praising guys like Pettersson, Hughes, and Miller when they see fit.       

No one seemed to complain back in 2006-2007 that Luongo carried the team into the 2nd round that year.  Why?  Because - it was widely understood that our window was still a little down the road.   

I would like to believe that our media and fan base hasn’t become progressively stupider over time, but I’m finding it difficult to defend them here.

I agree for the the most part but no more Loui at all plz.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

I agree for the the most part but no more Loui at all plz.

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson was our best match ups line last season.  No coincidence at all that Greener had them on the ice when we were trying to protect leads.    Eriksson is overpaid and an offensive black hole, but he knows how to play smart, high percentage, defensive hockey.

3 hours ago, Quinn Skates said:

Markstrom bailed them out too many times last year, and we lost him and Tanev (plus Stecher). 

We DID?!

I thought Markstrom just changed his number to 49?

Get me GMJB on the phone, pronto!! I have a few things to say about my opinion on this, and HE'S GONNA LISTEN!!

3 hours ago, Pickly said:

Funny how there are posters clamoring that Benning has done a good enough job throughout his tenure trying to improve the D and its progressively gotten worse with each passing year. 

No kidding! We need to bring back Hutton, Pouliot, Gudbranson, Biega, and Del Zotto!

Edited by ImConfused

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If defence is only measured by what players you put on the ice then what is the purpose of having a coach behind the bench?  Isn't defence the responsibility of all the players on the ice, not just the defencemen?  Right now it seems to be a systems problem, not a player problem.  We shouldn't be the worst in the league.  The way this team plays as a whole needs to change.  Also, it looks like some players have either lost confidence in themselves or have quit on the coach.  Pettersson looks like a 7th round draft pick out there.  Is that because he is so pissed that Marky isn't around?  Or maybe Green has lost the room.  Take your pick.

You know things have gotten dark when Petey's up here on the forums calling himself a 7th round draft pick lol :(