The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

14 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

This would be an awesome add to our group (if he can ever get back on the ice and tracking the game and its speed is no longer an issue for him). I am personally of the opinion that he is done but we don't know much of anything about his health. I just hope he can have a good life whether he plays hockey or not-concussion/head trauma can truly ruin a life.

Agree, health is first and it's a longshot. The only small glimmer is I've heard his symptoms compared to sites where it's not so much the risk of sustaining another concussion rather just getting symptom free where the speed of the game no longer affects him and if he can get back to that level there's a good chance it wouldn't recur. But who knows if he can even get to that point.

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Agree, health is first and it's a longshot. The only small glimmer is I've heard his symptoms compared to sites where it's not so much the risk of sustaining another concussion rather just getting symptom free where the speed of the game no longer affects him and if he can get back to that level there's a good chance it wouldn't recur. But who knows if he can even get to that point.

I think it is highly unlikely  wishful thinking that Ferland will play again, just as much as Jake will morph into Neely

Remember Ferland is only effective being a physical player, look what happened to another far less physical player in Baer after his 

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2021 at 10:08 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

I think it is highly unlikely  wishful thinking that Ferland will play again, just as much as Jake will morph into Neely

Remember Ferland is only effective being a physical player, look what happened to another far less physical player in Baer after his 

Yeah. It’s too bad. The Virtanen era coming to an end. Don’t think Benning will get much for Jake. I’m prepared for a loss in a deal involving Virtanen. If by any chance we can get DeBrusk from Boston. I’d be flipping over the goddamn moon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. It’s too bad. The Virtanen era coming to an end. Don’t think Benning will get much for Jake. I’m prepared for a loss in a deal involving Virtanen. If by any chance we can get DeBrusk from Boston. I’d be flipping over the goddamn moon. 

shouldnt renew his contract.... during FA

On 3/25/2021 at 5:44 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd love to see that deal. I'd do Jake + AG for DeBrusk. 

then he will turn into a Cam Neely..... should of put that in the contract " IF JV Turns into a impact player this trade is nullified" put that in very very small writing in the corner somewhere

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 3/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, King Heffy said:

He'd have great chemistry with Eriksson in the press box.  Eriksson can take him under his wing and teach him how to be even lazier than he already is.  Jake's the first forward I scratch once guys start coming back.

should of sign JV league minimum per year till he grows up

All GM's Should put there foot down.. enough is enough, they should sign all players to 2 million per year... then once they hit there performance bonus it kicks in, so they can make up the difference... no lazy contract long term deal...

17 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

All GM's Should put there foot down.. enough is enough, they should sign all players to 2 million per year... then once they hit there performance bonus it kicks in, so they can make up the difference... no lazy contract long term deal...

Good luck with that 

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

then he will turn into a Cam Neely..... should of put that in the contract " IF JV Turns into a impact player this trade is nullified" put that in very very small writing in the corner somewhere

if Jake becomes Cam Neeley I'll eat my hat. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Wouldn't that be nice

Not only does the owner get hosed, but the team and the fans

Look what happened to Dipietro, Yashin, Lecavalier, Bryzgalov, Gomez, Louie, Lucic, Neal etc who never came close to their long term deals

Wouldn't it be nice to have a UFA cap that could include performance bonuses that teams add on instead, so they are not grotesquely overpaid if they do not perform as expected

Be better for the game, if the max contract signed is 4 years in UFA. 

I am not a fan of buying UFA, paying more than all the other teams 

9 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Wow. Let’s not trade Sutter either, he could be next Denis Savard and hell no to trading Benn, he could be the next Paul Coffey :picard:

• Haha 1

Given how things have been, it’s a total buyers market. I can’t see us getting more than a 3rd round pick for JV. At this point we should just hold him until the market changes,  perhaps next year but then his value could go even lower due to further poor production. 

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Given how things have been, it’s a total buyers market. I can’t see us getting more than a 3rd round pick for JV. At this point we should just hold him until the market changes,  perhaps next year but then his value could go even lower due to further poor production. 

Take that 3rd and run

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I’m not sure how you can play 32 games and not get a single assist?

JAKE IS AN ENGIMA!

Wrong time to sell.

Last Summer was the wrong time to buy.

This team has worse problems then Jake though.

This. I have been as critical of Jake as anyone but now is not the time. I would leave him exposed in the expansion draft as a lost leader, would rather protect Motte. Also, hopefully there is a new coach next year that may help Jake find his game, but that's a big if. I still think Jake can be a legit, quality, third liner with the right linemates. If he can get to a steady 10 to 15 goals, hit, gain the zone with speed, and continue to do well in the takeaway column he is worth keeping. I see no point in trading him, he has damn near negative value at this point. 

• Cheers 1