The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

This. Virtanen is not as good or bad as most of CDC makes him out to be. I would be pleased for him to move on for his own sake and for a little peace and quiet...sick of hearing about it!

I think a lot of this is based on unrealistic expectations of Jake, probably because of where he was drafted. 

From watching how he has been deployed, it looks like he has been used as a swiss army knife and deployed on every line on this club and played with pretty much every player on this team. No chance for chemistry or to get used of any one players tendancies. 

By now, you would think that the coach would know what his capabilities are and pair him on a line in which he can be successful, and leave him there.

From what I have noticed, his assets are his speed, ability to get the puck in the attacking zone, forecheck, quality passes, goes to the net on occasion and can stand in front of the net and cause some havic. He has a good shot which I think needs to be utilized more. He is a big , strong body who can stand up to aggresive play by the opposition. This is much needed on this team with the small, non-aggressive players we have.

So basically this is what he is going to give you and thats it. Its the coaches responsibility to deploy him in which he can be successful and helpful to this club. I don't think his main asset is his ability to produce points more then he is a compliment to players that will produce.

I think once those that critisize him, realize his capabilities, the expectations of him will come back down to reality. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the phrase that keeps pooping into my head is "peak Jake" - as in I think we've seen it. He's a capable top 9, scores in streaks sometimes. Thats about it.

Flip it around, would he be a guy we'd be targeting, or would we be saying nah, lets see if we can get a covid bargain instead? 

I think he's worth picking up, but only for the team that he's not already on. He's a great candidate for a reclamation project, as he's ripe for a change of scenery. I would do Jake V for Jake DB straight up, and I think it's a great win-win for both players and teams, as they're in the exact same situation. 

I think if Jake goes to the Panthers he could thrive there. Way less media scrutiny and Queenville is a legendary bench boss who could unleash the beast that is JV!!

Whatever happens, wish him the best but if he doesn't get moved this year, we will all have 1 more year to speculate if "this is the year" he breaks out with us and gets moved to another team.

• Like 1

No matter whether he remains here or not we need to ensure this type of player still needs to be in our line up. 

A young, tough, gritty player with size,who could contribute offensively on occasion, is needed on a team with mostly smaller non-aggressive players such as Petey, Boeser, Bo, Hughes, Gaudette and OJ etc. 

We are nearing our end of the veteran presence players such as Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Edler. 

Without players such as Jake, we are going to continue to be "1 and out" playoff contenders who do not have enough grit to compete with some of the better playoff teams.

Many on CDC believe "offense" is everything that a team needs and 2011 showed what happens to our offensive stars when they don't have supporting players around them. Character and Grit players are overlooked much of the time it seems.

I don't have any expectation that Jake will "make or break" this team but he does fit as a piece to the puzzle overall, I believe, moving forward. 

35 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

No matter whether he remains here or not we need to ensure this type of player still needs to be in our line up. 

A young, tough, gritty player with size,who could contribute offensively on occasion, is needed on a team with mostly smaller non-aggressive players such as Petey, Boeser, Bo, Hughes, Gaudette and OJ etc. 

We are nearing our end of the veteran presence players such as Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Edler. 

Without players such as Jake, we are going to continue to be "1 and out" playoff contenders who do not have enough grit to compete with some of the better playoff teams.

Many on CDC believe "offense" is everything that a team needs and 2011 showed what happens to our offensive stars when they don't have supporting players around them. Character and Grit players are overlooked much of the time it seems.

I don't have any expectation that Jake will "make or break" this team but he does fit as a piece to the puzzle overall, I believe, moving forward. 

First :

tenor.gif

Second:

Virtanen doesn't really do the things you listed.

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Danton Heineken removed from the protocol list, Debrusk still on it.

We’ll see if either of those rumors pick up traction soon.

That depends on how close Elliotte Freidman is to publishing his next 31 Thoughts article. 

• Haha 1