The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

Virtanen's 168 takeaways in his 291 game career leads the team over that period.

He lead the team (by 20) in 2017/18 with 51.

He lead the team in 2018/19 with 46.

He did so playing 11:59 and 14:49 minutes those seasons.

Last year he was 3rd on the team with 37, playing 13:05/game.  Miller lead the team with 52, Myers was 2nd with 42.

This season he is 3rd with 8 (in 12 games) - Hoglander leads the team with 12, Schmidt has 9.

Virtanen leads the team this season with 1.3 on ice goals against per 60.

Last season he was second among forwards at 2.6 on ice ga/60 (Sutter lead F at 2.2).

Two years ago he was 3rd among forwards at 2.4 on ice ga/60 (Granlund at 2.0, Leivo at 2.2).

Virtanen leads the team this year with a .958 on ice save percentage.

Last year he was 3rd among forwards at .925.   (Sutter lead at .933, Beagle was 2nd at .927)

Virtanen lead the team in the playoffs at .963

Two years ago Virtanen was 2nd among forwards with a .924 on ice sv% (Granlund lead with .931)

Virtanen is 5th on the team with 28 hits (in 12 games).

Last year he was 4th with 102, playing 13:05 (Milller lead with 123, Motte 118, Edler 108)

Two  years ago he was 2nd with 156, playing 14:49 (Motte 200).

2017/18  he was 3rd with 156, 1st among forwards (again, playing 11:59/g).

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well I have been “beating the drum” on Ristoleinen for about 3 years.  Even suggesting Jake be traded for him.

If anyone thinks that we could get Risto for Jake now, they are smoking something amazing or have much more faith in Benning than I do.

Once they stopped playing Risto 26+ minutes a game he went back to being an excellent defender, like anticipated.  He is playing 23 minutes a game of all around minutes and is as good as Edler was in his prime.

We aren’t getting that for a benched 3rd line winger.

yawn.

of course 'we' aren't getting Ristolainen for Virtanen.

I'm pretty sure the proposal the poster made was Juolevi, Virtanen and Gaudette.

- and glad you enjoyed the post above.  

I couldn't find the "cost the team 30 goals against" metric.

Edited by oldnews

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen's 168 takeaways in his 291 game career leads the team over that period.

Last year he was 3rd on the team with 37, playing 13:05/game.  Miller lead the team with 52, Myers was 2nd with 42.

This season he is 3rd with 8 (in 12 games) - Hoglander leads the team with 12, Schmidt has 9.

Last season he was second among forwards at 2.6 on ice ga/60 (Sutter lead F at 2.2).

Two years ago he was 3rd among forwards at 2.4 on ice ga/60 (Granlund at 2.0, Leivo at 2.2).

Last year he was 3rd among forwards at .925.   (Sutter lead at .933, Beagle was 2nd at .927)

Two years ago Virtanen was 2nd among forwards with a .924 on ice sv% (Granlund lead with .931)

Last year he was 4th with 102, playing 13:05 (Milller lead with 123, Motte 118, Edler 108)

He is clearly almost as good as Gudbranson, Sutter, and Beagle... your normal player darlings.  :D

Too bad the actual hockey professionals think otherwise and have him stapled to the bench or press box regularly ... but you continue to be you and pretend you know more than the people who get paid to do it for a living...

One would think that being proven wrong by objective reality so often would temper your narcissism... but you seek impervious to it so far.

• Cheers 1

On 2/8/2021 at 6:59 PM, Outsiders said:

If this is the end for Virtanen here in Vancouver its for the best. It is on Jake at this point. Canucks have been patient for 6 years you don't have 10 years to put it together in the NHL. Hope they get a draft pick or young player back. All I know if I was 6'1 220 and played for my hometown team I grew up idolizing I would have done a lot more in the hitting, fighting and going to the net department. Especially if my O game didn't translate, Virtanen seemed to accept losing and pack in it mentality most nights

Can you imagine Virtanen with Stetcher's heart and work ethic? Oh my god that would be an incredible player.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen has 5 points in his last 35 games

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Can you imagine Virtanen with Stetcher's heart and work ethic? Oh my god that would be an incredible player.

I think they should try some creative tactics with Virtanen.

Ie - I don't recall which game it was - a few games ago - but someone hit him in the first shift and he proceeded to crank a couple guys in succession.

I think I'd have a designated Virtanen agitator.

Someone on the team that is authorized to just slap him, squirt water on him, backhand him, poke him with a stick, whatever - just basically agitate him on a regular basis....

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

True - the production has not been there - in the playoffs or this season.  Why that's the case would be interesting to know considering the rest of his game has been quite respectable - which usually leads to production. 

One concern would be that he has only taken 19 shots this year - I think he needs to feel free to just rip it - but he's taking a cue from a long tradition of pass first, pass second, pass pass pass.....(Sedin osmosis-effect)....

Regardless, the idea that he's a vacant defensive player who lacks the intelligence to read or respond to the play - is unfounded.

7 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Sush you!  He is a foundational player and if it weren’t for Green, Benning, Willie Desjardins, the Clintons, and George Soros... he would be a 1st line player.

Really it is just that the brass are trying to lose, so are keeping one of our top players off the ice.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Sush you!  He is a foundational player and if it weren’t for Green, Benning, Willie Desjardins, the Clintons, and George Soros... he would be a 1st line player.

Really it is just that the brass are trying to lose, so are keeping one of our top players off the ice.

Just stop.

(Weak) sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. 

It's merely misdirection - that is not going to compensate for your lack of analysis.

Edited by oldnews
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ie - I don't recall which game it was - a few games ago - but someone hit him in the first shift and he proceeded to crank a couple guys in succession.

Someone on the team that is authorized to just slap him, squirt water on him, backhand him, poke him with a stick, whatever - just basically agitate him on a regular basis....

I remember that too. I volunteer Miller, he has some frustration to release anyways.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

I think at this point we should ride it out with who we have. If we can't get it together in the next few games against the Flames, then we know it wasn't fatigue. I think at that point, we need a new coaching staff. At THAT point if Virtanen hasn't figured it out, then trade him. I see no point in it now, timing's all wrong. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen is just not the type of player we want on this team. He was a different player before the draft and our scouting team fell for it. They should have gotten Ehlers but we cant go back in time unfortunately.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That’s Gold

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Virtanen is just not the type of player we want on this team. He was a different player before the draft and our scouting team fell for it. They should have gotten Ehlers but we cant go back in time unfortunately.

Should've gotten Nylander. 

But yeah, spilled milk at this point. 

If we can get Virtanen for DeBrusk - I'd be happy. What kind of player is DeBrusk compared to Virtanen? 

this is his rookie season highlight package. he hasn't matched these numbers but envision him playing with Petey.

looks like a natural fit and he would get a ton of tip chances lol. similar speed to boeser too which could be good. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

this is his rookie season highlight package. he hasn't matched these numbers but envision him playing with Petey.

looks like a natural fit and he would get a ton of tip chances lol. similar speed to boeser too which could be good. 

Seems to have a knack for being in front of the net. Something we would need. I'm not sure if he'll ever get back to 27 goals, but if he can be a consistent 20 goal man in exchange for Virtanen, that would be a huge win already. He seems to have a pretty good hockey IQ, and seems to be driven too. Things that Virtanen doesn't seem to have (at the moment). 

Same age. Why would Boston trade DeBrusk though? Wouldn't he be a part of their up and coming core? 

2 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

I feel like because the team is struggling big time, Virtanen hasn't been the beneficiary of that. He's never been a player that drives play, always benefits from better line mates. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

His rookie season was in 2017-18 when he had 16 goals and 27 assists making for 43 points in 70 games.

For a guy who's not overly big(6' 188lbs) he has a good nose for the net.

Edited by Junkyard Dog