The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

On 2/11/2021 at 7:03 AM, oldnews said:

why is Zboril worth that?

He's a former 13th overall pick playing around 15 minutes a night and looks solid both ways, looks like he's going to be a consistent top 4 defenceman for Virtanen and Gaudette who are right now both 13th forwards and Chatfield who has looked good but is hard to guage how good he'll be, doesn't have as high a ceiling.

If that's too high then just Virtanen + Chatfield for Zboril, use Virtanen to basically upgrade Chatfield. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's a former 13th overall pick playing around 15 minutes a night and looks solid both ways, looks like he's going to be a consistent top 4 defenceman for Virtanen and Gaudette who are right now both 13th forwards and Chatfield who has looked good but is hard to guage how good he'll be, doesn't have as high a ceiling.

If that's too high then just Virtanen + Chatfield for Zboril, use Virtanen to basically upgrade Chatfield. 

Where he was selected in the draft is no more relevent at this point than Virtanen's draft position (who, btw is a far, far more proven NHL player than Zboril - 291 NHL games to 14 (I find it ironic that there's no "sample size" objections to your claims lol).

I think your radically revised value is more 'reasonable' - but again, I'm not sure what you're relying on to make the assumptions you are.  Former 13th overall with a small sample is not enough...certainly not for Virtanen, Gaudette, Chatfield and a 2nd....

How Virtanen and Gaudette could both be the 13th forward also makes little sense.

And Zboril is another LHD - not really a need.

The idea that he looks like he's going to be a 'consistent' top 4 is premature - based on a tiny sample of a 14 game NHL 'career'.

He's getting 62.6% ozone starts in those games - the highest on Boston's blueline - has two points - playing with a veteran (fairly prototypical sheltered rookie minutes)...a bit over a minute of powerplay ice time...

There is nothing particularly special about Zboril's small sample - so you'd have to have a considerable eye test - of having seen enough of the player to convince you that he's  tracking to be a 'consistent top 4' - which I doubt you have.  His AHL outcomes aren't particularly impressive either.

He might make a reasonable hockey trade for a Gaudette - but his draft position means nothing - and he'd be the higher risk - whereas Gaudette has 143 NHL games to assess. 

But the bottom line for me - is that a LHD is not really a need - you'd be dealing from the position the team arguably has the most young depth at - RW - to another position the team doesn't really need.

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Where he was selected in the draft is no more relevent at this point than Virtanen's draft position (who, btw is a far, far more proven NHL player than Zboril - 291 NHL games to 14 (I find it ironic that there's no "sample size" objections to your claims lol).

I think your radically revised value is more 'reasonable' - but again, I'm not sure what you're relying on to make the assumptions you are.  Former 13th overall with a small sample is not enough...certainly not for Virtanen, Gaudette, Chatfield and a 2nd....

How Virtanen and Gaudette could both be the 13th forward also makes little sense.

And Zboril is another LHD - not really a need.

The idea that he looks like he's going to be a 'consistent' top 4 is premature - based on a tiny sample of a 14 game NHL 'career'.

He's getting 62.6% ozone starts in those games - the highest on Boston's blueline - has two points - playing with a veteran (fairly prototypical sheltered rookie minutes)...a bit over a minute of powerplay ice time...

There is nothing particularly special about Zboril's small sample - so you'd have to have a considerable eye test - of having seen enough of the player to convince you that he's  tracking to be a 'consistent top 4' - which I doubt you have.  His AHL outcomes aren't particularly impressive either.

He might make a reasonable hockey trade for a Gaudette - but his draft position means nothing - and he'd be the higher risk - whereas Gaudette has 143 NHL games to assess. 

But the bottom line for me - is that a LHD is not really a need - you'd be dealing from the position the team arguably has the most young depth at - RW - to another position the team doesn't really need.

yeah. Zboril to me is like having Virtanen on defense. Sooo, no thanks. 

Maybe he turns out to be a pretty good defenseman, but isn't he around the same age as Juolevi? So essentially, we already have a player like Zboril on our blueline. Tell me why we need another player like that? If anything, we need a RHD. Those are rare commodities, yes, but if we have to add, might as well in a lost season like this one. 

Personally I would like to see Virtanen get traded he has had had more than enough time to figure it out and he just hasn't been able to.

If he  could return a right hand d man the Canucks should pull the trigger.

At this point I would be willing to take a guy like Kevan Miller on d in Buffalo RHD who can play either side of the ice.

Ideally a third pair guy who can play and fill in top 4 minutes if necessary due to injury.

• Like 1

Benning let too many players walk at free agency. He should have traded Virtanen and Stecher at the draft for a early second rounder or late first rounder and resigned Toffoli. We probably wouldn't have been able to trade for Schmidt, but then we would have about 4 million to sign a FA defenceman and we would have kept our 3rd round pick. Now, we need a player back for Virtanen, and that is going to be tough to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Personally I would like to see Virtanen get traded he has had had more than enough time to figure it out and he just hasn't been able to.

If he  could return a right hand d man the Canucks should pull the trigger.

At this point I would be willing to take a guy like Kevan Miller on d in Buffalo RHD who can play either side of the ice.

Ideally a third pair guy who can play and fill in top 4 minutes if necessary due to injury.

Colin Miller? Rather us just get a pick/prospect back, bigger contract with holes in his game. Buffalo is deep at RHD tho: Ristolainen, Miller, Montour, Jokiharu, Borgen,  Fitzgerald and Laaksonen.

Buffalo would be a good trade option for the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Battlemonger said:

Benning let too many players walk at free agency. He should have traded Virtanen and Stecher at the draft for a early second rounder or late first rounder and resigned Toffoli. We probably wouldn't have been able to trade for Schmidt, but then we would have about 4 million to sign a FA defenceman and we would have kept our 3rd round pick. Now, we need a player back for Virtanen, and that is going to be tough to do.

Lot of hindsite and presumptions there.

• Cheers 1

Canucks looking for a young forward in return for Virtanen

TSN: Darren Dreger said that there is still interest in Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen despite only have one goal this season. The Canucks are looking for a young forward in return for Virtanen. Teams are paying attention to his ice-time and one Monday he played just under seven minutes.

“Keep in mind though that Jake Virtanen has another year left on his deal at $2.55 million and why that is important is because of that flat salary cap of $81.5 million, but it’s also important to the Vancouver Canucks for a cap perspective and a cash standpoint. There has to be the right financial fit for the Vancouver Canucks to make this deal happen. Now Vancouver also wants a young forward in return, so we’ll keep this one on the watch list.”

On 2/14/2021 at 1:28 PM, canuck73_3 said:

I miss the days of grit that weren’t fake tough guys. 

On 2/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Trade him to NYR for Lemieux and ottawa's 2021 4th round pick.

Need some grit in the bottom 6 

Lias Anderson, Peteys Best friend?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, oldnews said:

Jake is a better bottom six forward that Gaudette.

Which is why I'd prefer they move Gaudette - who probably has a bit more lustre / might have more relative trade value presently.

I'm not sure I see a path to staying on this roster for Gaudette - the team is just too rich at young RW - and Gaudette is not really tracking as a capable NHL center.

So I'd move Gaudette before I'd move Virtanen - because I like what I've seen out of the Beagle and Sutter lines with Virtanen on the wing.  Virtanen has proven more versatile than Gaudette - and in spite of his scoring drought, we've seen he's capable of scoring, even in shutdown minutes...

If Gaudette could bring back a Nick Paul or Trenin....I'd probably make that kind of deal.

In another thread, you mentioned how well Motte, Beagle and Virtanen were playing, and I agree. There's a crowd of posters on this forum who are totally bent on moving Jake, who are constantly trashing him. But the reality is, he's a much better than most give him credit for. Sure, he's not poppin' in the goals, but he plays a really solid game, and in most cases, doesn't panic and makes the right play. I would keep Virtanen over Gaudette every day. Now watch, Gaudette score a hattrick tonight! Haha!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1