The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators interested in Adam Gaudette

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think he is a cap dump... but he doesn’t seem to be a great fit with the makeup of the team as it stands.  

He has really been sheltered, playing 4th line minutes... and still getting exposed defensively a lot.  The more he gets sheltered, the more Horvat has to take up the slack. 

Ot doesn’t hurt to keep him as a 13th forward for the time being, but not a big enough loss to worry about if we can use him as a sweetener to dump some cap or get a more useful asset back.

I suppose most any player is up for grabs if it improves the team. Trading AG, for what little return he would garner, seems silly. Rather see how his next couple years go. Better yet, would rather see how any of our players develop and play under a new coach. I guess what I'm saying is leave the roster as is, play the year out. This team is not making the playoffs anyways. Edit, save for dumping players on expiring contracts for picks. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

After Jake/Gaudette I think if we are to have 2 youngsters on the same line they have to have a center that’s good with them. Someone that would be an upgrade on Sutter. 

If we clear cap maybe an Adam Lowry or maybe a trade for a Chris Tierney-type.

Exactly... those I think are exactly the types of guys we need in that spot.  I had thought Tierney was a great target in the offseason if we could have given some assets to them as a sweetener to dump a little cap apse and get Tierney back.  

Of course if we end up with another 2C as BPA out of this draft instead of a D, having Horvat in that 3rd line spot would mean we are a really hard team to match up against.  Really easy to integrate young wingers with centre depth like that.

38 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

That’s a bit of an overreaction. Hoglander and Podkolzin are relentless forecheckers. Having 2 young guys on the same line isn’t ideal but I don’t think it deserves this reaction because of how good both these guys are on their 200 foot game.

1 hour ago, billabong said:

don't get too hung up on line combinations.

This team needs scoring depth and insulating these rookies is key for their development. 

Forget salary, who would you want for the bottom 6 late in game.

Let's say Miller Pettersson Boeser Horvat Jarnkrok Johansson don't get the heavy checking minutes as they are mostly offensive minded.

That leaves (sutter is magically gone, pearson too) Motte Beagle Macewan Podkolzin Hoglander Hawryluk as none of those players are top 6.

Hoglander = Jarnkrok 

Hoglander 26gp 4g 6a 10pts as a rookie for 900k

Jarnkrok 16gp 5g 2a for  7pts 2million signed for one more season.

Johansson =:sick: 14gp zero goals, 5 assists non roster as per cap friendly with 4 years left @ 8 million per.

Virtanen 1g in 21gp:bigblush: 2.25m 

Gaudette 22gp 2g 2a 4pts 950k

Roussel 25gp 1g 2a 3pts 3mil

Eriksson 5gp 1a 6million

Now I get to yell.

JAKE VIRTANEN HAS MORE GOALS THAN RYAN JOHANSSON, JAKE VIRTANEN.

THAT REALLY DOES NOT HELP WITH GOAL SCORING, DOES IT+?!

CALLE "SWEDY HONEY BADGER' JARNKROK 

16 GOALS IS HIS HIGHEST TOTAL, JAKE VIRTANEN HAD 18 IN SHORTENED SEASON LAST YEAR.

LET'S ALSO NOT FORGET THAT ANYWHERE  JOHANSSON GOES, THE TEAM BOMBS.

WHERE DOES THE CAP COME FROM TO MAGICALLY RESIGN HUGHES PETEY BROCK BO MILLER PODZ HOGLANDER DEMKO COMES FROM? 8 MILLION ON RYJO FOR WHAT 40-60 pts?

I didn't need to do that either, don't tell me how to live:frantic:

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Exactly... those I think are exactly the types of guys we need in that spot.  I had thought Tierney was a great target in the offseason if we could have given some assets to them as a sweetener to dump a little cap apse and get Tierney back.  

Of course if we end up with another 2C as BPA out of this draft instead of a D, having Horvat in that 3rd line spot would mean we are a really hard team to match up against.  Really easy to integrate young wingers with centre depth like that.

I think if we draft another C it is to play with Petey.  Petey probably converts to wing full time. 

Johnson and Beniers are the only good Cs if we draft top 10. Local kid Johnsonis a flashy offensive player while the American Beniers is more of a complete player.  Both play on the same team in Michigan with Owen Powers this year and Luke Hughes next year. 

I don’t mind Horvat as 2nd C. He has a lot of good intangibles you want as a matchup C and is clutch in the playoffs. 

Finding a good 3rd C won’t be hard to find once we get cap space when Eriksson(and the other guys) expire. We only should be spending money on RD partner for Hughes borderline 2nd C(for 3rd C) and maybe a top 6 RW.

Not as many holes on the roster that can’t be filled with youngsters so we should only spend on key positions. A lot of youngsters can compete for the bottom 6 wing spots and 4th C if we don’t want to find a cheap one(we should for depth purposes).  

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Forget salary, who would you want for the bottom 6 late in game.

Let's say Miller Pettersson Boeser Horvat Jarnkrok Johansson don't get the heavy checking minutes as they are mostly offensive minded.

That leaves (sutter is magically gone, pearson too) Motte Beagle Macewan Podkolzin Hoglander Hawryluk as none of those players are top 6.

Hoglander = Jarnkrok 

Hoglander 26gp 4g 6a 10pts as a rookie for 900k

Jarnkrok 16gp 5g 2a for  7pts 2million signed for one more season.

Johansson =:sick: 14gp zero goals, 5 assists non roster as per cap friendly with 4 years left @ 8 million per.

Virtanen 1g in 21gp:bigblush: 2.25m 

Gaudette 22gp 2g 2a 4pts 950k

Roussel 25gp 1g 2a 3pts 3mil

Eriksson 5gp 1a 6million

Now I get to yell.

JAKE VIRTANEN HAS MORE GOALS THAN RYAN JOHANSSON, JAKE VIRTANEN.

THAT REALLY DOES NOT HELP WITH GOAL SCORING, DOES IT+?!

CALLE "SWEDY HONEY BADGER' JARNKROK 

16 GOALS IS HIS HIGHEST TOTAL, JAKE VIRTANEN HAD 18 IN SHORTENED SEASON LAST YEAR.

LET'S ALSO NOT FORGET THAT ANYWHERE  JOHANSSON GOES, THE TEAM BOMBS.

WHERE DOES THE CAP COME FROM TO MAGICALLY RESIGN HUGHES PETEY BROCK BO MILLER PODZ HOGLANDER DEMKO COMES FROM? 8 MILLION ON RYJO FOR WHAT 40-60 pts?

I didn't need to do that either, don't tell me how to live:frantic:

You’re really forcing those guys are more of a offensive threat than Johansson and jarnkrok.

I’d be betting on Johansen getting back on track and I like jarnkrok because he’s a consistent 15G/30 point guy who can play all 3 forward positions.

To your point, I crunched the numbers with petey(9.5m) and hughes (8.5) on long term deals and we can’t make the money work and improve the D unless holtby goes to Seattle so you win :P

2 hours ago, billabong said:

You’re really forcing those guys are more of a offensive threat than Johansson and jarnkrok.

I’d be betting on Johansen getting back on track and I like jarnkrok because he’s a consistent 15G/30 point guy who can play all 3 forward positions.

To your point, I crunched the numbers with petey(9.5m) and hughes (8.5) on long term deals and we can’t make the money work and improve the D unless holtby goes to Seattle so you win :P

Not forcing anyone, as of now the forward group looks like

Miller.     Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Roussel Sutter Gaudette 

Motte Beagle Macewan

Hawryluk Virtanen 

Add Podkolzin.

Pearson, Sutter are UFA st seasons end, #3 center is needed. I'd like Sutter back but at a much lower cap hit.

Pearson however can goto UFA, Thx.

So next years forward group would look something like

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin 

Roussel Sutter? JV

Motte Beagle Macewan 

Gaudette, Hawryluk Eriksson 

Jarnkrok and Johansson are not #3 C

Hoglander & Podkolzin will be close to or more points then combined jarnkrok and Johansson.  For 1/5th the cap hit.

I'd like JV+AG for a better 3c or a legit 5-7 RH winger or a younger Rhd around the same age.

11 hours ago, billabong said:

Please tell me your being sarcastic on those long term deals?   Barzal is better then EP been over his ELC, that's for sure,  no way was he getting over 8 on a long term deal these days.    QHs....well unless his defense improves drastically he's Barrie 2.0, with a little more offense ... so 5-5.5 on a bridge - 6.75-7 for full term.  EP and QHs aren't going to break the bank on their next deals. 

• Cheers 2

Not sure I understand the push to trade younger players. Based off the minutes distributed each game i'd be looking at trading veteran pieces to playoff teams. They are equally to blame for a poor defensive season this year. It is a team game however, who's main role is it to stymie the offense of the opposition? Jake, Adam? I don't think a defensive game is their style or what they were brought in to do. I would like to see coach G embrace a less defensive system instead of holding on to the dying "trap game". (what do we have to lose by trying to make this transition now?)

Why lose a young player now for next to nothing, when during the off-season there is a strong likelihood of a decent return should we need to lose a younger player for some reason. Keep in mind the cap hits are low on younger players and they often have more flexible contracts.  I have watched Jake play and man it is sad to watch for sure, I think Hockey IQ in JV is pretty low and playing him at wing makes him a non-factor each night. During juniors I seem to recall him playing Center ice, I know this sounds crazy (based of his defensive abilities) but do you think putting him in the center ice role (perhaps just occasionally) would engage him in the game more? At his price we can afford to have Jake in the press-box there really is very little to lose (or gain) by keeping JV and Guadette. Not sure a trade of these players makes sense but we will see... 

53 minutes ago, TripleSedins said:

Not sure I understand the push to trade younger players. Based off the minutes distributed each game i'd be looking at trading veteran pieces to playoff teams. They are equally to blame for a poor defensive season this year. It is a team game however, who's main role is it to stymie the offense of the opposition? Jake, Adam? I don't think a defensive game is their style or what they were brought in to do. I would like to see coach G embrace a less defensive system instead of holding on to the dying "trap game". (what do we have to lose by trying to make this transition now?)

Why lose a young player now for next to nothing, when during the off-season there is a strong likelihood of a decent return should we need to lose a younger player for some reason. Keep in mind the cap hits are low on younger players and they often have more flexible contracts.  I have watched Jake play and man it is sad to watch for sure, I think Hockey IQ in JV is pretty low and playing him at wing makes him a non-factor each night. During juniors I seem to recall him playing Center ice, I know this sounds crazy (based of his defensive abilities) but do you think putting him in the center ice role (perhaps just occasionally) would engage him in the game more? At his price we can afford to have Jake in the press-box there really is very little to lose (or gain) by keeping JV and Guadette. Not sure a trade of these players makes sense but we will see... 

Well, from what I can make it, players like Virtanen and Gaudette aren't at a stage of development which it is believed they should be at (and the opinion from the brain trust is that they won't ever get any better). Therefore, these guys should be traded for picks of a lower value than that at which they were drafted because that it good asset management, and the approx $3.5(ish) million in savings allows for huge contracts to be signed by other young players who are popular... or something like that.

regards,  G.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Please tell me your being sarcastic on those long term deals?   Barzal is better then EP been over his ELC, that's for sure,  no way was he getting over 8 on a long term deal these days.    QHs....well unless his defense improves drastically he's Barrie 2.0, with a little more offense ... so 5-5.5 on a bridge - 6.75-7 for full term.  EP and QHs aren't going to break the bank on their next deals. 

It’s just max term money they’re probably gonna get 

A bridge is possible and going 8 years is gonna cost the Canucks 

I think Jim should call Kekalainen in order to discuss if there is a fit for both teams:

Blue Jackets looking for help at center

Sportsnet: Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said that they are looking to acquire a center, but they aren’t easy to find.

“It’s a challenge because (centres are) just not available via trade so you usually have to draft and develop one and I think we did that very well with one player and now he’s not here so we have to get back into our hunt finding a centreman through draft or trade,” Kekalainen said Tuesday.

“There could be some available in the free agent market next summer, but I can assure you we understand the importance of the centre ice position and that’s why we did a lot of the different moves we tried to do in the off-season to strengthen that position and it hasn’t exactly gone as planned. We’ll keep searching and doing our job and building the team.

“I think we have some very good potential centre icemen growing into that role within our team, but we’re also going to look for ways to strengthen that position from the outside.”

1 hour ago, billabong said:

It’s just max term money they’re probably gonna get 

A bridge is possible and going 8 years is gonna cost the Canucks 

Big money is only supposed to happen if your top level elite like McDavid or Crosby.   EP is it worth 3/4 of McDavid, we'd be betting on potential at 9 million. What we see now, might be the best we ever see and paying more then others who have done better recently doesn't make much sense to me at least.   CAP flat for sure makes a difference.   At this point a deal not much more then BB makes sense on a bridge.    Taresenko type deal on the long term... yes it's older, but he also produced more too - EP C role has been sheltered with Miller - Barzal so far, has earned more then EP.   A killer second half - or more of what we saw his first 15 games could change that ...i remember when that kid from Alaska won the Calder Gomez - had a career year, and didn't ever get to where he was projected - same with quite a few other guys over the years.   Including our very own Tyler Myers.   I'd be ok with EP on a long term deal - but i don't like paying players for what they haven't done yet either.    QHs too.     QHs is playing like Barrie did.   IMO - a 5-6 million guy on a bridge.   At most 7 x 8 for  both these guys on a long term deal.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Big money is only supposed to happen if your top level elite like McDavid or Crosby.   EP is it worth 3/4 of McDavid, we'd be betting on potential at 9 million. What we see now, might be the best we ever see and paying more then others who have done better recently doesn't make much sense to me at least.   CAP flat for sure makes a difference.   At this point a deal not much more then BB makes sense on a bridge.    Taresenko type deal on the long term... yes it's older, but he also produced more too - EP C role has been sheltered with Miller - Barzal so far, has earned more then EP.   A killer second half - or more of what we saw his first 15 games could change that ...i remember when that kid from Alaska won the Calder Gomez - had a career year, and didn't ever get to where he was projected - same with quite a few other guys over the years.   Including our very own Tyler Myers.   I'd be ok with EP on a long term deal - but i don't like paying players for what they haven't done yet either.    QHs too.     QHs is playing like Barrie did.   IMO - a 5-6 million guy on a bridge.   At most 7 x 8 for  both these guys on a long term deal.   

I 100% agree with your logic, I’m just betting on the over right now.

hughes isn’t offer sheet eligible so he doesn’t have much leverage so I could see him do a bridge around werenski money 

pettersson is offer sheet bait and I could see him getting Aho money

BUT we live in a Covid world so everything we know up to this point in comparables has to be taken with a grain of salt 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, billabong said:

I 100% agree with your logic, I’m just betting on the over right now.

hughes isn’t offer sheet eligible so he doesn’t have much leverage so I could see him do a bridge around werenski money 

pettersson is offer sheet bait and I could see him getting Aho money

BUT we live in a Covid world so everything we know up to this point in comparables has to be taken with a grain of salt 

Covid just means flat cap.   So AHO for sure is a decent comp given the age difference.   Im sure CAR fans also think AHO will suddenly win the Art Ross too. As a direct comp AHO is better (statically over the same time period).    His upside is also very high is where i'm going.   Thing i don't like about these deals is they end up becoming 3rd contract type money too often.   Agree, QHs is a Werenski type deal - was even thinking about that when replying to your post.    He's got uber offensive upside.   But his D is not nearly or even close to NHL all around NHL caliber.   Times are changing.   A decade or so ago, there were absolutely guys in this league that would knock him out of a series with a hit.   20 years ago i'd worry about him ever playing a full season.   Even today it's somewhat miraculous.    Imagine pre instigator lol.   When Orr and Clark were playing - as soon as they realized he was a threat....ouch.   Wasn't that long ago (yet) that players wouldn't care about bullying folks if it meant they'd win a game - let alone a series, even if that player was "cute" and all you wanted to do was "hug them like a teddy bear".   Fearsome right?    Have to wonder what the old baby bomber and even gen x guys feel about that.    Babych made it pretty clear last season - and QHs showed heart during "Hudson Bay" rules (didnt really see that either but Vegas was close) but was almost completely out of the series with the exception of 5-7 minutes one game which turned out to be enough.     IF we are going to win a cup - QHs needs a big brother - and one that can play great D like Mitchell, or for the time Murzyn, and needs to outscore his opposition - simple as that.  QHs can break all the records he wants - but if he's not scoring 50 points and 20 goals on the PP,  he better be at least a zero plus minus 5 x 5 guy to get 8-9... If I was JB id offer him 5 x 3 not a cent more, that's what he's earned - which is still a lot of money, that said it's all about scoring too - and he's the motor that drives our offense - it's a rare commodity given it's not like he's playing in WSH and has the same weapons to dish out like Carlson has the past two years is it?  So i'm expecting both him and EP to get identical deals - as the new highest paid players on the team - at around 6.5 x 3 each.  

Edited by IBatch

Gaudette, Rafferty and 2 or 3 for ekholm.

ekhold is 30 which isn’t ideal but his cap hit(3.75)and position(D) are. 

With our cap restraints a high impact low cap hot player is ideal.  We can recoup the pick by trading Pearson who we won’t have cap space to sign.  This also puts pressure on Edler to sign for a hometown discount.

id protect Schmidt ekholm and Juolevi in the expansion draft and expose Myers.  I’m not a Myers hater but in this flat cap environment we could easily replace him with a better D for his 6 million or use that money else where. 

ekholm schmidt

Hughes Hamonic?

edler Juolevi 

it would be more ideal if he was right handed and or played the right side but I wouldn’t pass on him because of it. 

out Myers Gaudette Pearson 11+ million

in ekholm 3.75m

Cap space is needed for Hughes Demko and Petey 

The need to stop going backward in their own end.  If you can't move forward, off the glass and out.  If it's an icing, at least you get a reset. I don't get why the no change rule has discouraged players from icing the puck when they are in trouble as they used to.  Sure, you can't change, but you get a whistle and a do-over.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 9:54 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think Jim should call Kekalainen in order to discuss if there is a fit for both teams:

Blue Jackets looking for help at center

Sportsnet: Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said that they are looking to acquire a center, but they aren’t easy to find.

“It’s a challenge because (centres are) just not available via trade so you usually have to draft and develop one and I think we did that very well with one player and now he’s not here so we have to get back into our hunt finding a centreman through draft or trade,” Kekalainen said Tuesday.

“There could be some available in the free agent market next summer, but I can assure you we understand the importance of the centre ice position and that’s why we did a lot of the different moves we tried to do in the off-season to strengthen that position and it hasn’t exactly gone as planned. We’ll keep searching and doing our job and building the team.

“I think we have some very good potential centre icemen growing into that role within our team, but we’re also going to look for ways to strengthen that position from the outside.”

From what I make of the quote from Kekalainen, it sounds like he's talking about a 1C, not a potential 3C (ie Gaudette),, but I could be wrong. :)

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, brian42 said:

With our cap restraints a high impact low cap hot player is ideal.  We can recoup the pick by trading Pearson who we won’t have cap space to sign.  This also puts pressure on Edler to sign for a hometown discount.

id protect Schmidt ekholm and Juolevi in the expansion draft and expose Myers.  I’m not a Myers hater but in this flat cap environment we could easily replace him with a better D for his 6 million or use that money else where. 

ekholm schmidt

Hughes Hamonic?

edler Juolevi 

it would be more ideal if he was right handed and or played the right side but I wouldn’t pass on him because of it. 

in ekholm 3.75m

There's a lot of assumptions here.

Okay, so let's say your trade for Ekholm happens. The Canucks have him for one season. Nice, but not great for term, for what was moved out. The Canucks' cap goes up by around $2.75+ million for next year (Ekholm in, Gaudette out). 

I don't see how you can include Pearson being moved at the TDL as part of the "+" for your cap calculations savings of $11+ million since he would be a UFA for next season (and probably gone) regardless of any trade. Further, I'm not as optimistic as some who say that the Canucks could get as high as a 2nd for Pearson, assuming he is traded. I'd assume a 3rd at most, but yeah, a 2nd would be great... just one more 2nd for Benning to "give away like candy".  :P

Ekholm being here for one year might put pressure on Edler to sign a hometown discount contract with Vancouver,, but I suspect he was already going in that direction. I'm not suggesting that Edler would demand/get $6 million per and term, however I also would be surprised if he signed for substantially less than something around $4 million, and maybe two years at most (35+ contract concerns). Edler could also just go somewhere else, likely for more money (if that was an issue for him), or, perhaps he just hangs 'em up (much to the dismay of people on both sides of the "How do you feel about Alex Edler?" question). In any event, you do not take the possibility of Edler re-signing here in your calculations when showing pairings, assuming these reflect next season rather than the remainder of the current season. (Your "hometown discount" comment suggests that you are thinking of next season.)

I've speculated that Myers would be left exposed in the draft, and he might well be taken were that to happen. Others suggest that age (31?) and contract term would perhaps give Seattle pause, and they would perhaps prefer someone else from the Canucks roster. If they did pass on Myers, what then the cap?

To re-cap: If Myers is still here then we're looking at his $6 million still being here, so the $11 million in savings is down to $5 million. Pearson's $3.75 million is not applicable, so we are left with $1.25 million, of which, almost $1 million is taken up by Gaudette's contract moved out to Nashville (pre-RFA ).  Add on Ekholm's $3.75 million for next year, and possibly an Edler "hometown discount" of (let's be generous) $3 million which is not considered, for a -$6.75 million.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

4 hours ago, brian42 said:

ekholm schmidt

Hughes Hamonic?

edler Juolevi 

in ekholm 3.75m

Ekholm costs at least a 1st round pick + 1 or 2 prospects per Friedman.  Winnipeg and Boston are interested per LeBrun.

Rafferty is 25 and not a lineup regular and he’ll be UFA.  Gaudette is no longer a prospect.  When the rumour started Nashville was still hoping to make the playoffs.  Gaudette was playing limited minutes (still does) and was being scratched at times.  Asking about a player in the dog house to take a bet and acquire him on the cheap is really not the same as being the principal in a deal for a top pairing D.

Would be surprised if Seattle takes Myers.  They are too invested into analytics.  Ownership even calls it a way of life.  They talk of wanting to be a team that knows how to evaluate players and their worth.  The analytics community didn’t seem to like the contract the moment it was signed.