The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Lames | February 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Oli Juolevi. Kids a beauty :lol:

Sorry , but it was driving me nuts. I just thought that if you are going to be in love with the kid then you should get the spelling right. 

I missed the game but glad to hear the kid is playing well.

• Haha 1

Just now, Provost said:

He is a seriously good dude.  He is moving back to the Okanagan and teaching at an academy my nephew goes to.

He also gave a big chunk of change to a non profit I am involved with in the area.

He is equivalent to Linden for the Flames... mad respect for the guy even though I hated our team playing against him.

IMO he is the epitome of what young players with leadership qualities and ambitions should strive to be. I can’t say enough good things about him. He could score 40 in a season but could change momentum with a big hit, a memorable shift, a fight,  and had that classy type aura like the Sedins possessed which is so rare with today’s young talent.The league needs more players like Jerome Iginla. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I hear what you're saying - and kudos for identifying two of worse moments this game - but I think you're being overly generous in your description of the "other than that".

He generally does get to the right areas of the ice and read the play well - but he's also too aloof at times, particularly in the dzone, where he just doesn't get to the puck battles, doesn't do the necessary grinding, particularly on those long shifts where he's hemmed in - just too finesse for me.  The difference between that line with Motte and that line with Eriksson - is massive.   LE just doesn't attack the play - positioning is great, but if it's too passive it's annoying af.  I'm glad they're able to hard reduce at least with him in the lineup - but I'd say there were more like a half dozen annoying incidents - not just the two obvious miscues.

His play is generally more subtle and certainly less robust than a typical 4th liner. I agree, he is rarely ever “dogged” in his pursuit of the puck and tends to never commit himself physically but I don’t find his gaffes particularly more annoying than a dozen other players on this team. Perhaps I’m just the ultimate apologist.

I won’t miss him when he’s gone, though, and do believe if it weren’t for injuries he likely wouldn’t be suiting up. I also recognize that the coach, a legitimate, at least journeyman NHL coach and ex NHL player has confidence in him and even elevated his status during the playoffs last year.

But this might just be the ultimate condemnation of Coach Green in some people’s eyes.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

even though i hate tkachuk, completely different styles at the game

That’s true. Hoglander is a total team player and most likely very well liked in the dressing room. Tkachuk on the other hand is a dirty piece of sh## whereby only his family members will allow him at the dinner table. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, brownky said:

I love making that sound.

Because goalies know. They know they 'shoulda had it' if it was on the ice and makes that noise.

Guys who go bar down are 'impressive' but it doesn't mess with a goalie's head the way a muffin through the wickets does. The difference between a perfect shot (like Miller's or Brock's on that 4-1) vs Benn's from my own limited goaltending perspective is night and day. It's easy to shake off the perfect shots, you have to play the angles and percentages, sometimes you just get beat. But if you hear that light little "Thunpft" against the padding on the bottom of the net... yeah... that sucks.

I openly admit I'm not a good or particularly experienced goalie, but that's my experience so far.

So as a result when I shoot, you better believe I try to make that sound hahaha.

I’m a goalie and I can tell you that sound sucks haha. But when I hear it in the NHL it cracks me up because you are right on point. A Ting is a much suitable sound when you’re the goaltender. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

His play is generally more subtle and certainly less robust than a typical 4th liner. I agree, he is rarely ever “dogged” in his pursuit of the puck and tends to never commit himself physically but I don’t find his gaffes particularly more annoying than a dozen other players on this team. Perhaps I’m just the ultimate apologist.

I won’t miss him when he’s gone, though, and do believe if it weren’t for injuries he likely wouldn’t be suiting up. I also recognize that the coach, a legitimate, at least journeyman NHL coach and ex NHL player has confidence in him and even elevated his status during the playoffs last year.

But this might just be the ultimate condemnation of Coach Green in some people’s eyes.

I don't think it's a condemnation of Green at all - I agree - there have been circumstances where their best chances of winning are with LE in the lineup (they're generally M.A.S.H. circumstances, but at least he's a solid 14thish forward).   When you need to shut down a pair of opposition lines sometimes it's enough to simply neutralize - and certainly when you're on a Beagle line getting 25% ozone starts - breaking even is actually a considerable 'gain', particularly if the top 6 take advantage of their opportunities...So he doesn't 'hurt' the team, but I just want to see more engagement beyond positioning at times.

• Cheers 1

Interesting to see Hughes mintes down inside the stratosphere - and OJ playing a larger chunk than him for the first time.

One thing is for certain - whatever minutes Juolevi has played - he's handled them exceptionally well - and if anything, there has been a real correlation between him and results (some of that is obviously 'coincidental' - but at the same time I think he brings a level-headedness that almost compensates for the loss of Tanev's hockey intelligence).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

54 minutes ago, oldnews said:

courtesy of the GDT over at calgarypuck....

Oh man, I almost feel bad for them. But nahh, screw Calgary!

48 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Did you catch the post game with him?  He was cracking up....Marky was yelling through the door at them (he and Bo).  

I'm trying to find it.

Marky's heart is still in Vancouver. It atleast will be especially in 3 years when we're cup contenders and the Lames are a steaming pile of poopookaka.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers had a solid game as most of our guys tonight. 

Serious question. Which 3 dmen do we protect in the entry draft and who is exempt? 

Hughes is exempt

I think we will protect Juolevi, Schmidt and Myers even though some on here want to expose Myers to get rid of his 

contract but he's actually earning it and we need him imo.

The only problem is that we HAVE to expose 1 defensemen who meets the requirement (certain amount of NHL games played 

within the last 2 seasons AND under contract for 2021/22). As of now only Schmidt and Myers meet the requirements.

We could extend Benn before the ED and expose him or extend Chatfield but he needs to play 18 more games this season

to meet the requirements.. or trade for a depth D who meets the requirements but we definitely have to do something here.

Signing Benn for 1 more year at 1-1.5 might be our best shot, I would imagine he wouldn't hesitate to extend his contract 

sooner than later unless he wants to retire.

• Vintage 2

Just now, oldnews said:

Interesting to see Hughes mintes down inside the stratosphere - and OJ playing a larger chunk than him for the first time.

One thing is for certain - whatever minutes Juolevi has played - he's handled them exceptionally well - and if anything, there has been a real correlation between him and results (some of that is obviously 'coincidental' - but at the same time I think he brings a level-headedness that almost compensates for the loss of Tanev's hockey intelligence.

Green managed minutes really well tonight. Hughes playing less is primarily due to us having the lead all game. He’s played heavy minutes this year cause we’ve typically been trailing games. It’s nice to see that change tonight. And imagine that he was plus 2.

I’m very pleasantly surprised with Joulevi’s game. I figured he would decent for us this year but I didn’t expect this and especially the physicality part. He’s playing even better then before he sat out. Great to see especially for us waiting for him to arrive 

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What the heck was Green thinking playing Chatfield over Juolevi?  Was he absent for all the practices they had?  Just mind boggling really. 

Nah... EP i think OJ is just growing so fast as a player its hitting everyone like a pleasant surprise. 

Including JB, Green, Players, media, fans

OJ has been very good.  2 solid rookies on this team. Hogz and OJ.

Love it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1