The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They like Jake on the point for the slapper and his speed for when Myers gives up a  breakaway ... also Hogs is twice the battler that Jake is. I bet he does better there than Jake would.

My money is on the unicycle juggler for a few tip-ins

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

you remember Derek Forbort, right?

He of 3 cross checks and a couple of swings at Hoglander.

remember also that Zack fought Forbort and then the Jest laid a beating on Hoggy and no one stood up for him

now we are putting Hoggy in the middle of 4 defenders

I could work

He would take a lot of shots, there's no doubt about that... there's obviously no argument that Jake has the body much more suited to play that spot. problem is he won't fight for loose pucks, won't retrieve pucks quick enough, doesn't understand the timing behind screening a goalie, etc...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

In other words, he is stating the truth: we are definitely not playing to our potential right now. This team may not be a playoff team in the North Division, but it should not be in the basement. Something is got to give by the end of all this.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah the (mostly unbalanced) deployment and game day roster are still based on the coaching staff.

No OJ or rookie in the D core tonight; I wonder who sits when they struggle tonight.

......or what period the "Mish Mash" of lines gets deployed. 

7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

In other words, he is stating the truth: we are definitely not playing to our potential right now. This team may not be a playoff team in the North Division, but it should not be in the basement. Something is got to give by the end of all this.

I wonder why this is?...........Its probably Jakes fault. ::D

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Do you need to be "Better" and need to "Hustle" to be able to plant your behind in front of the net?

If better means using your brain to anticipate when to actually fight in front of the net, when to go to the side of the net, when to help out a teammate behind the net, when to move out of space and then move back in so you have body position and a chance to get a stick on the puck. Then yeah, being better and hustling has a lot more to do with net presence as compared to the biggest teammate you have planting his butt there. That in itself is not very effective.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

And there it is!!! He has been given certain opportunites because thats what the coaches think. The struggling PP remains the same because thats what the coaches think. I am seeing a pattern here. ::D

Yes, unfortunately as a coach you pretty much have to go with what you think. If you're doing stuff you think is wrong you shouldn't be there. :lol:

At the end of the day 21 other players haven't gotten that chance. I mean Myers, Edler, Hamonic, Beagle, Pearson, Mac, Roussel, and Motte, have all been shafted too. Does that mean the coach is missing out on these great players too as a net front presence. 

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

If better means using your brain to anticipate when to actually fight in front of the net, when to go to the side of the net, when to help out a teammate behind the net, when to move out of space and then move back in so you have body position and a chance to get a stick on the puck. Then yeah, being better and hustling has a lot more to do with net presence as compared to the biggest teammate you have planting his butt there. That in itself is not very effective.

I guess we have different impressions on what would be effective or not. I see a PP which is very easy to defend and if we don't get that perfect shot we are not going to be successful. If Bo doesn't get his shot or Petey, we aren't scoring. 

Very rarely do we get traffic in front of the net and when we do, its usually one of our smaller players standing BESIDE the goalie trying to tip it in. Our biggest sniper on the team(other then Petey) is Boeser , yet I rarely see him get good quality shots on net. 

I just see a player like Jake as a player who could run interference so our younger smaller players can perform. I don't think it takes much skill to cause havoc in front of the net. He can do the same thing along the boards with a team that is more aggressive on the forecheck. 

Just like our top 6, our #1 PP is just too "one dimensional" which makes them easier to defend against. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes, unfortunately as a coach you pretty much have to go with what you think. If you're doing stuff you think is wrong you shouldn't be there. :lol:

At the end of the day 21 other players haven't gotten that chance. I mean Myers, Edler, Hamonic, Beagle, Pearson, Mac, Roussel, and Motte, have all been shafted too. Does that mean the coach is missing out on these great players too as a net front presence. 

I fully agree, I would love to see Myers stand in front of the net and see the goalie struggle to see around him for a full 2 minutes, that would be quite entertaining. The question is why hasn't there been any changes to the struggling PP or something like that attempted? 

I remember the days when things didn't go well, the team went back to the basics. I guess we don't see that as a valid strategy on this team. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I guess we have different impressions on what would be effective or not. I see a PP which is very easy to defend and if we don't get that perfect shot we are not going to be successful. If Bo doesn't get his shot or Petey, we aren't scoring. 

Very rarely do we get traffic in front of the net and when we do, its usually one of our smaller players standing BESIDE the goalie trying to tip it in. Our biggest sniper on the team(other then Petey) is Boeser , yet I rarely see him get good quality shots on net. 

I just see a player like Jake as a player who could run interference so our younger smaller players can perform. I don't think it takes much skill to cause havoc in front of the net. He can do the same thing along the boards with a team that is more aggressive on the forecheck. 

Just like our top 6, our #1 PP is just too "one dimensional" which makes them easier to defend against. 

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you're wrong just saying what I believe to be the case behind the scenes. To be honest, this team is absolutely nauseating to watch in any capacity and the PP is no different. In reality I have no problem planting Jake there and seeing what he can do ... I just have more faith in Hogs in any situation if I had to choose, especially one like this where quick thinking and creativity is necessary. To be honest I see Hogs as being tougher and creating more trouble for the opposition on the PP, even though I've yet to see either one play that spot.

More importantly they are both on the PP and should be able to contribute if doing the job properly wherever they are, after all it's a man advantage everywhere. My only concern with Jake is that he may be smart enough to run interference on some level, but is he intelligent enough to also jump on a free rebound, or create a smart hockey play with a teammate ... we may never know ... lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

They like Jake on the point for the slapper and his speed for when Myers gives up a  breakaway ... also Hogs is twice the battler that Jake is. I bet he does better there than Jake would.

Hogs has incredible hand-eye coordination as well

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I fully agree, I would love to see Myers stand in front of the net and see the goalie struggle to see around him for a full 2 minutes, that would be quite entertaining. The question is why hasn't there been any changes to the struggling PP or something like that attempted? 

I remember the days when things didn't go well, the team went back to the basics. I guess we don't see that as a valid strategy on this team. 

Great post. I agree it would be entertaining to see Myers causing havoc out there. This PP will never get back to basics if they can't teach Petterson and Miller to shoot the puck, the whole exercise/2 minutes is basically useless besides giving up shorties.  Our PP coach is a maroon.

I would even go so far as to take Hughes off the first unit. I'm sure the second unit guys would love to get those beauty passes and might actually take a shot on net with an open one timer from 8 feet out. Just put all the ego maniacs on one line and try to score goals with the second unit, if we can get the first off the ice. I mean imagine Petey, Miller, and Bo/Boeser, just unleashing shots from Hughes every play with Myers in front. FUN!

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

GAD

• Cheers 1