The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol he just resigned him this off season and it is already a bad contract.

Thank you Jim!!!!

They back loaded his deal so that he can easily be bought out. Now if he had a good year then next years price would be fine. I have been super hard on Jims contracts but this one actually makes sense to me. 

I think they did their due diligence to trade him last year but their was no takers. They tried before they resigned him.

If they buy him out in the off season it will put $50,000 against next year and $500,000 the next.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Coz this useless coach doesn't know how to make adjustments as shown in the bubble last year.. same plan every game and beat ur head at it hoping it works 

Coach already employs a pretty basic system, which is what you do when you have the lack of talent that this team has. There is not a lot of options - play systems that are more complex and we will really get shellacked....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

96B42CE6-C552-47B6-BCAD-DFE1E7086594.jpeg

Sooo... what your really saying ... is 742126 fans beat you to the ticket booth?  Lol...carry on Dumb Nuck - extra marks for consistency....My two cents?  TG is going to be the Nonis to MG era ... what he's managed with these kids - let's just say a lot - a very large number - or experienced vet coaches including Torts (we saw this while he was here and for sure had done it on other teams)  Julien (one of the heavy complaints was his relying on his vets and not playing the kids enough) and others is not normal operating procedure.   Now they are grooving in.  Someone else will enjoy that capital for sure. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sooo... what your really saying ... is 742126 fans beat you to the ticket booth?  Lol...carry on Dumb Nuck - extra marks for consistency....My two cents?  TG is going to be the Nonis to MG era ... what he's managed with these kids - let's just say a lot - a very large number - or experienced vet coaches including Torts (we saw this while he was here and for sure had done it on other teams)  Julien (one of the heavy complaints was his relying on his vets and not playing the kids enough) and others is not normal operating procedure.   Now they are grooving in.  Someone else will enjoy that capital for sure. 

Nope, that’s the next ticket to be issued by me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

They back loaded his deal so that he can easily be bought out. Now if he had a good year then next years price would be fine. I have been super hard on Jims contracts but this one actually makes sense to me. 

I think they did their due diligence to trade him last year but their was no takers. They tried before they resigned him.

If they buy him out in the off season it will put $50,000 against next year and $500,000 the next.  

It’s crazy to think that a 24 year old player coming off of a career year who’s trade value was at its highest at last years draft was instead re signed to a backloaded deal in case he needed to be bought out because of poor play. I know hindsight it always 20/20, but the writing has been on the wall with this player long enough yet Jim re signed him with the smidge of hope this would finally be the year he would break out. This is poor asset management 101.

2 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Coach already employs a pretty basic system, which is what you do when you have the lack of talent that this team has. There is not a lot of options - play systems that are more complex and we will really get shellacked....

Basics win games.  

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

giphy.gif

You just know that his Dad put him up to this - or an older brother ... 

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

It’s crazy to think that a 24 year old player coming off of a career year who’s trade value was at its highest at last years draft was instead re signed to a backloaded deal in case he needed to be bought out because of poor play. I know hindsight it always 20/20, but the writing has been on the wall with this player long enough yet Jim re signed him with the smidge of hope this would finally be the year he would break out. This is poor asset management 101.

Yes too bad he didn't not make it easy to buy him out. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes too bad he didn't not make it easy to buy him out. 

What bothers me more is now he is trying to basically give him away for whatever he can. Danton Heinen? Really? A player who doesn’t seem like he would have much of a role here none the less an RFA at seasons end. Mind boggling.

Edited by Pickly

I remember when he came out for the first basketball practice. The best "body" of any player in any of the sports I coached over 86 teams in rugby basketball and track. 6 foot 7 inches, ripped, right into his body, fluid in all movements, good shot, good low post moves, smart.  However he was a Jake Virtanin. I feel the coaches pain!

It would be great if we can turn it around. But if we can’t, then we need to consider selling players on expiring contracts. We saw what happen to Marky, Tanev, and Toffoli last offseason. Cant have a repeat of that. Need to capitalize on the value they have. Otherwise, cheers everyone. Enjoy the game! I’m looking forward to it. Maybe it’s a start of a turnaround

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

He scored 18 goals and 36 points. 2.55 for that is just fine. He struggled in the playoffs. I am sure they were hopping for him to continue to progress. Reasonable assumption.

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Basics win games.  

You just know that his Dad put him up to this - or an older brother ... 

There was audio in the video that I downloaded, and he just does it, though the mom who's taking the video doesn't say anything until he's bawling lol

Just think of all the waisted opportunity for Jimbo to acquire assets. Even last year. Players that they new they wouldn't resign. Tanev , Marky and Stetcher. 

Please don't try and sell me on how much the playoff experience help develop them. It didn't help this year. I think they have it or don't.  

Both Tanev and Marky would have scored a first.

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

He scored 18 goals and 36 points. 2.55 for that is just fine. He struggled in the playoffs. I am sure they were hopping for him to continue to progress. Reasonable assumption.

He tapered off towards the end of the season and was non existent in the playoffs save for a couple games against St Louis. Benning gambled, he’s losing, and now seems to be trying to get rid of the player by whatever means necessary when you could have sold high last offseason. It looks bad. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Standings not looking too good...

As for me, I like the team. I think we make playoffs and compete for the cup. 

We're gonna need to go streaking. Win 6 in a row. 

Your Optimism is admirable but definitely not based on facts....and they are definitely streaking to 6 losses in a row....