The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I was meh on Myers until the series against St. Louis. After Myers went down, the next 4 goals St. Louis scored were zone entries on his side of the D zone, and the Blues out-muscling Stetcher to free up the puck and make a play. It was glarring how much the team missed him.

That's very insightful.   It wasn't talked about much on the site - but it was the case.   For me at least he's a D that had size and another gear.   Seems like a great teammate - and for sure isn't a chump on either side of the puck.   Had the worst start since somebody points out - the limited coach 80's start Pride Hustle or whatever..: yet he's top 26th in scoring, plus minus zero - plays more minutes then anyone except Hughes who's only played this much because so often we are behind and trying to even it up etc - against top competition.   And on both special teams.   Just for a subtle reminder - when we were even better but still really bad a few years ago during the rebuild (which is still happening), Edler led the league in minus one year.    AND he's a coveted RHD.    Hamonic can't do what he can, neither can Chatfielfd.  One game of Rafferty - and look what Myers did as a rookie.   Hasn't stopped. 

Edit:  when is said even better - that's purely standings wise - we of course are much better as a team now then back then.   Edler bashers seem to be switching over to Myers which is also a subtle point.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Travis Hamonic is growing on me. Played a solid game last night.

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Agreed. He was a disaster early in the season but has been much better since returning from injury. I didn't notice many defensive gaffs and certainly noticed him getting in the face of a few Jetts after whistles.

He's a legit D.

Hasn't played for almost a year, on a new team, with new team mates, coaches and systems and the one practice he was supposed to get in the 'preseason' :rolleyes: got cancelled due to Covid protocols. Then we had a track meet for a schedule and he promptly (unsurprisingly) got hurt.

That was never going to look pretty initially.

• Vintage 3

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's a legit D.

Hasn't played for almost a year, on a new team, with new team mates, coaches and systems and the one practice he was supposed to get in the 'preseason' :rolleyes: got cancelled due to Covid protocols. Then we had a track meet for a schedule and he promptly (unsurprisingly) got hurt.

That was never going to look pretty initially.

Sure he’s not what he once was.  But if he was, his price tag would be tons more.  He’s on a cheap *ONE* year deal.  I don’t know what people expect from a bargain priced depth defenseman on an expiring contract.  Bobby Orr?:lol:

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sure he’s not what he once was.  But if he was, his price tag would be tons more.  He’s on a cheap *ONE* year deal.  I don’t know what people expect from a bargain priced depth defenseman on an expiring contract.  Bobby Orr?:lol:

The biggest reason he was as cheap as he is was because he only wanted to play in Western Canada. When you limit your teams that much it massively effects your leverage/bargaining power. Is he as good as he was... 5 years ago...? Probably not. But he's still an entirely respectable '2nd pair' level D and on an open market, with 31 team availability, is worth FAR more than the $1.2m he signed for. Think Tanev contract.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

REFEREES

Marc Joannette #25
MJ25.jpg
Kendrick Nicholson #30
KN30.jpg
Games ’20-21 19 19
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 8 62 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1381 / 168 334 / 0
First NHL Game 10/1/99 1/17/15
Birthplace Verdun, QC Milverton, ON

LINESMEN

Scott Cherrey #50
SC50.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’20-21 20 19
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 19 64 / 17
Career Games (Reg/PO) 910 / 107 558 / 34
First NHL Game 10/6/07 1/21/13
Birthplace Drayton, ON Cloverdale, BC
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

REFEREES

Marc Joannette #25
MJ25.jpg
Kendrick Nicholson #30
KN30.jpg
Games ’20-21 19 19
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 8 62 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1381 / 168 334 / 0
First NHL Game 10/1/99 1/17/15
Birthplace Verdun, QC Milverton, ON

LINESMEN

Scott Cherrey #50
SC50.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’20-21 20 19
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 19 64 / 17
Career Games (Reg/PO) 910 / 107 558 / 34
First NHL Game 10/6/07 1/21/13
Birthplace Drayton, ON Cloverdale, BC

Same four morons who were in last game. Which one of these mental defects saw Stastny trip Hughes and ignored it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Big win streak coming

That would be great. Build off of the confidence that the last game gave them. Keep the foot on the pedal and only take it off to crush the Jets collective windpipe when they try to claw their way back into the game. 

The Canucks have nothing to fear with the Jets from a physical perspective. Byfulgien is cleansing himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka, Myers is a Canuck, and Trouba is a Ranger (and and injured one at that). In fact, the Canucks have a more physically imposing defense with the aforementioned Myers, Benn, Hamonic, Edler, and Schmidt. 

I hope the team shows a renewed and invigorated sense of purpose for themselves, first and foremost. For me, the dip in performance has been hard to take because the team is capable of much better than they're showing. The chemistry and heart of the team has been inconsistent, and when that's off, all the skill in the world won't save it. 

end rant...or whatever those three paragraphs above are........:lol:

• Cheers 3

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nice, gotta keep some semblance of a rotation to keep guys fresh and sharp. I understand why some would advocate for the hot hand, but the reality is we're not going to have a chance at the playoffs if both goaltenders aren't getting games and playing well. Practice is one thing, but guys need reps. 

Myers brings a variety of dimensions to the ice, the only other guy in our D core who brings similar versatility is Edler. Both have respectable size, both are capable of playing physical, both can be trusted with heavy minutes and important assignments, both can produce offense while playing respectable D. 

I like Hamonic, I hope he plays well so we can justify retaining him. But he doesn't bring the offense Myers does, though he does everything else I've mentioned. Hughes skates better than all of them and brings a fantastic offensive game, he's not capable of the physicality the others are though. This is why I'm uncertain about exposing Myers in the expansion draft, he will be missed if he's taken. Building a balanced D core isn't as simple as punting all your battle worn vets for shiny young D. 

His absence really stood out, Stecher having a hard time against St. Louis and Vegas was what made me okay with our letting him walk. Love the guy, he played hard and loved being a Canuck, but you can only have so many smaller D. As it looks Hughes and perhaps Rathbone will be our smaller guys down the road, the rest of our guys need to have respectable size. 

Agreed.   Personally i like big punishing D's from top to bottom - so i'm not too excited about Rathbone but the league is changing so maybe it will work.   In a different thread Deb i think  posted a picture of Lumme, Gino, Odjick  Captain Kirk, Ronning etc - somewhat  recent photo in the Skate uni's...When all your D is 6'2-6"3 and filled out... not that easy to battle infront of your own net.  Add Diduck (a warrior in his own right), Brown, Hedican... well not pint sized right?  Lumme looks to have shrunk the least lol... As of now only Myers and Edler really do a good job infront of our own net.  Hamonic maybe he will too - a little early to tell but he looks to have the chops too.   OJ has some size so not concerned about him.   A sub six foot d better have a lot to offer is all i'm saying.   Stecher did - and still does, but i'm not sure we can expect OJ to replace Edler, QHs to move up, and Rathbone (stecher 2.0?) to be an elite left side either.   For sure we'd need to muscle up the R side - Schmidt is at best average size, Myers obviously is giant sized, Tree is monster sized - maybe that could work who knows.   That said id take a mobile large overall D over a mix,  if Tree comes back and is like Mitchell then for sure - give Rathbone a chance.   To me he's trade bait.  The left side is deep. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Looks like Tram is ramping up his play to come to North America.  Let's hope he finally comes back. He is having a monster year IMO. 

We could use more of this in our lineup as well as everything else he brings. 

Big right hand there love it hope he’s back with us soon

37 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Benn and Hamonic actually have a lot in common.  Both guys are for sure NHL D's - both we signed at good deals.   Ugh.   Yet complainers expect so much more then what reality actually is.   I'm sure it's also frustrations.   Even without the way things are going folks have a ton to be frustrated these days and it's way too easy to project that onto the CDC.   Benn, BTW - out of all the deals he made that year - from an expert  media viewpoint, was considered possibly the best one (he also wanted to play in Vancouver - like Myers)...

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nice, gotta keep some semblance of a rotation to keep guys fresh and sharp. I understand why some would advocate for the hot hand, but the reality is we're not going to have a chance at the playoffs if both goaltenders aren't getting games and playing well. Practice is one thing, but guys need reps. 

Myers brings a variety of dimensions to the ice, the only other guy in our D core who brings similar versatility is Edler. Both have respectable size, both are capable of playing physical, both can be trusted with heavy minutes and important assignments, both can produce offense while playing respectable D. 

I like Hamonic, I hope he plays well so we can justify retaining him. But he doesn't bring the offense Myers does, though he does everything else I've mentioned. Hughes skates better than all of them and brings a fantastic offensive game, he's not capable of the physicality the others are though. This is why I'm uncertain about exposing Myers in the expansion draft, he will be missed if he's taken. Building a balanced D core isn't as simple as punting all your battle worn vets for shiny young D. 

His absence really stood out, Stecher having a hard time against St. Louis and Vegas was what made me okay with our letting him walk. Love the guy, he played hard and loved being a Canuck, but you can only have so many smaller D. As it looks Hughes and perhaps Rathbone will be our smaller guys down the road, the rest of our guys need to have respectable size. 

To me Myers IS the heir apparent to Edler veteran presence and having two of them can't hurt.   And OJ is Tanev - they just switched sides.    We for sure - will have a huge hole if he's picked up.