The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Teams Calling on Schmidt and Motte

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-eichel-injury-latest-bad-news-sabres-cursed-year/

Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts has some Canucks in the article.

image.png.a73a582990de34fc61012badf7b573bc.png

image.png.8692539e0ec5fe06b2c68391f087fd19.png

I'd be interested to see what the market sees in value of Motte, Schmidt, and Hamonic.

First inclination is nah I wouldn't dare trade the 3 right now, but its not hurt to explore what teams would be willing to shell out for these guys.

Tampa Bay last year traded 1st round picks to acquire Barclay Goodrow and Blake Coleman who are considered bottom six players and with friendly deals. Not saying Motte gets that but what is a team willing to offer? Certainly worth exploring.

Motte's the MVP of the bottom-6 and it isn't particularly close IMO (HM should be MacEwen).

Virtanen and Roussel take lazy penalties and aren't scoring.  Gaudette's numbers are down, Sutter doesn't really fit on his current line... Beagle is a placeholder since no one will take him... MacEwen/ Hawryluk/ Michaelis are still non-factors (no consistent runs of effectiveness)... Baertschi/ Loui-- thanks for showing up at the stadium.  Motte's smart, hustles and is showing emerging offensive touch.

Agreed that if we are to move Motte, then nothing less than a 2nd.  Also hope they strike a wise balance and trade any of Benn/ Sutter/ Pearson/ Hamonic/ Edler if they see that they may want to leave.  No more letting assets walk.  

Edited by Phil_314

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO even then I don’t feel a late 2nd would be enough. Not saying he’s worth a 1st but many teams would kill to draft a Motte even as a late 2nd round pick. 

IMO it would have to be a 2nd and another pick or prospect. He’s at a team friendly cap hit as is worth much more than what he’s being paid. 

I agree, but I wouldn't even listen if the offer was less.  He's the heart and soul of our bottom 6.

• Cheers 1

Straight up, our bottom six is a lot less impressive without Motte in it. Is it really worth flipping him for a second if we wanna compete next season? I don't think so. Yeah, you can sign guys via free agency but having a known quantity who's a heart and soul guy on the cheap vs signing a guy and hoping he works out are two different things. This is particularly true imo if we're getting the pick from someone with playoff aspirations, it ain't likely to be a high to middle second and that matters.

I'd prefer to retain Hamonic if he can maintain his level of play for the rest of the season, he's an easy solution to who partners with Hughes and all he'd cost is money as a short-term stopgap. Much cheaper than trying to acquire an RD from someone else, hoping he'd mesh with Quinn. 

Schmidt's improved as time goes on, I say he stays. Our D looks to finally have some quality depth. 

Pearson, Benn, and Sutter (if they decide they aren't going to retain him) are fair game though. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I agree, but I wouldn't even listen if the offer was less.  He's the heart and soul of our bottom 6.

If it’s a early 2nd(32-40) I would maybe do that  since we’ve struck gold in that area but when you get to the 50-64(will it end at 64 next year?) it isn’t as good of a 2nd. I don’t think many playoff teams will have other teams early 2nd round picks. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Straight up, our bottom six is a lot less impressive without Motte in it. Is it really worth flipping him for a second if we wanna compete next season? I don't think so. Yeah, you can sign guys via free agency but having a known quantity who's a heart and soul guy on the cheap vs signing a guy and hoping he works out are two different things.

I'd prefer to retain Hamonic if he can maintain his level of play for the rest of the season, he's an easy solution to who partners with Hughes and all he'd cost is money as a short-term stopgap. Much cheaper than trying to acquire an RD from someone else, hoping he'd mesh with Quinn. 

Schmidt's improved as time goes on, I say he stays. Our D looks to finally have some quality depth. 

Pearson, Benn, and Sutter (if they decide they aren't going to retain him) are fair game though. 

We're 2 years away, according to the GM.  Why not try to capitalize on some of these players if that's the truth?  After all, many on this board claim the GM is an alleged draft expert, so with all these picks he could just draft the next Motte or Schmidt or Hamonic if he wanted to (if those fans are to be believed).

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

We're 2 years away, according to the GM.  Why not try to capitalize on some of these players if that's the truth?  After all, many on this board claim the GM is an alleged draft expert, so with all these picks he could just draft the next Motte or Schmidt or Hamonic if he wanted to (if those fans are to be believed).

Even if we are, that puts Motte at 28 which should be a prime age for him, it's not as if he won't still be useful during now and then 

Nothing wrong with capitalizing on assets, but there are decisions to be made regarding who's worth keeping and I feel the players I mentioned are 

The problem with drafting is also the development time required for prospects to transition into players who even remotely resemble the guys we've traded away

You can have the best scouting crew in the league but a lottery ticket is still a lottery ticket

Stocking the cupboards while trying to compete is about balance, not shipping everyone out the moment the playoffs appear to be in doubt

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1