The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I say Seattle is "Frothing at the Mouth" to get Lucky Loui !  (He's a Bulldog !!!!)

image.jpeg.71837234c47ac8330e10b9a933e57afd.jpeg

It's incredible how that one infamous picture (in the middle there) perfectly sums up his time as a Canuck. :lol:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Because it's unlikely he would be picked, and Vancouver is probably going to be a better team over the next two seasons. It is more likely Seattle either picks Holtby as a proven starter or one of the younger players that we can't protect. Just because the Canucks expose him doesn't mean he'll get taken.

I agree with that part but if I was him I'd sign three days later.

Not so sure Seattle will be worse than Vancouver....see Vegas haha.

I think they take Holtby. 

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I agree with that part but if I was him I'd sign three days later.

Not so sure Seattle will be worse than Vancouver....see Vegas haha.

I think they take Holtby. 

I think Vegas was kind of a one-off. They did a fantastic job finding under used players ready to break out like Karlson. Also with limited AHL play and limited travel, Seattle won't have as good of a view into the better players teams have in the minors.

18 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I think Vegas was kind of a one-off. They did a fantastic job finding under used players ready to break out like Karlson. Also with limited AHL play and limited travel, Seattle won't have as good of a view into the better players teams have in the minors.

Who do you think is a better GM Francis or McPhee?

I think McPhee but not 100% convinced.

The big thing is the NHL will let Seattle succeed because it's good for business.

I'd take $650M/30 to let Seattle succeed.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Seattle is going to have a MAF/Holtby tandem. They're already better than half the league.

True, but they might also opt to take a young goalie like Laurent Brossoit as one of their goalies.  I would. 

Jake Allen is another good option.  They will no doubt have a good goalie tandem whichever goalies they take.

Based on the links below, the way I read this is that it doesn't matter how many AHL pro games a young prospect has played; as first and second year NHL players are exempt.  Here is a link to the Kraken Expansion Draft rules:

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-kraken-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

Also, here is a quote from DK Pittsburgh Sports (from March 31, 2020):

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/03/31/nhl-expansion-draft-seattle-rules-format-vegas-tlh:

"prospects who have yet to make their NHL debuts at this point are exempt from being selected in the draft and do not have to be protected. Since first- and second-year players are exempt, that won't change if a prospect makes his NHL debut in the next year."

The way I read this is that Lind, Dipietro, Rathbone, Gadjovich, Jasek, Focht, Woo, etc would be exempt from the ED and would not need protection because they can't be selected.  Hoglander would also be exempt because this is his first NHL season.  According to the above, as this is Hughes' and OJ's second NHL season, they should also be exempt (I'm not sure if OJ's playoff games count).  I think MacEwan won't be exempt because this is his third season (he played 4 NHL games in 2018-19).  I'm not sure about Tryamkin if we re-signed him but I think he would be exempt from selection (i.e. wouldn't need protection) because he hasn't played any NHL games for at least three seasons.

Edited by sockeye

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Who do you think is a better GM Francis or McPhee?

I think McPhee but not 100% convinced.

The big thing is the NHL will let Seattle succeed because it's good for business.

I'd take $650M/30 to let Seattle succeed.

I know Francis has put together an impressive team. I think teams learned from the Vegas draft and things will be a little different this time. We'll see.

1 hour ago, sockeye said:

Based on the links below, the way I read this is that it doesn't matter how many AHL pro games a young prospect has played; as first and second year NHL players are exempt.  Here is a link to the Kraken Expansion Draft rules:

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-kraken-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

Also, here is a quote from DK Pittsburgh Sports (from March 31, 2020):

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/03/31/nhl-expansion-draft-seattle-rules-format-vegas-tlh:

"prospects who have yet to make their NHL debuts at this point are exempt from being selected in the draft and do not have to be protected. Since first- and second-year players are exempt, that won't change if a prospect makes his NHL debut in the next year."

The way I read this is that Lind, Dipietro, Rathbone, Gadjovich, Jasek, Focht, Woo, etc would be exempt from the ED and would not need protection because they can't be selected.  Hoglander would also be exempt because this is their first NHL season.  According to the above, as this is Hughes' and OJ's second NHL season, they should also be exempt (I'm not sure if OJ's playoff games count).  I think MacEwan won't be exempt because this is his third season (he played 4 NHL games in 2018-19).  I'm not sure about Tryamkin if we re-signed him but I think he would be exempt from selection (i.e. wouldn't need protection) because he hasn't played any NHL games for at least three seasons.

It’s the same rules as Vegas.  The very first post of this thread has the list of all the players that are exposed taken from CapFriendly, that includes Lind, MacEwen, Gadjovich etc.

Players with more than 2 pro-seasons while signed to a NHL contract are exposed.  A pro-season as a teenager is 10 NHL games and only NHL games.  As of age 20 it’s 1 game in any top tier pro-league including AHL, SHL, etc.

For Vegas players who only played in the AHL were also exposed once they reached more than 2 pro-seasons.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/vegas

I still don’t understand why Capfriendly shows games remaining for player to be exposed/protected. Right now it shows OJ has 12 games remaining before he has to be protected or exposed.
Why we worried about playing Hughes playing so many games in his first year. Someone needs to fully explain this to me. I read through the first 4 pages of this thread and there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer 

11 hours ago, Laoag said:

Just posted this I agree completely. Myers is a good piece, he will be claimed.

my thinking is... if management is serious about going for the cup starting in 2 years, we need to rip the bandaid off and let Seattle take him, create the cap flexibility. on the flip side... if the are going to spend assets to get better for next year and be more "competitive" NEXT year... we can't afford to lose him.

the real question on what to do on the back end is: is there actually a real plan and are they going to stick to their guns?

To a certain degree if Myers was left handed. He’s right handed and we have none of those. Joulevi is going to replace Edler eventually. We don’t really have a replacement for Myers and he’s done a great job with OJ when he was in. He’s also a leader on the team. Watch him after a win. Check out the reply when the Canucks won there first game in 7 games. Myers lead the team like he did last night. Leadership is also important. Look at the start we had this year after we lost some leaders

Protect Myers 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I still don’t understand why Capfriendly shows games remaining for player to be exposed/protected. Right now it shows OJ has 12 games remaining before he has to be protected or exposed.
Why we worried about playing Hughes playing so many games in his first year. Someone needs to fully explain this to me. I read through the first 4 pages of this thread and there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer 

It’s not protected/exposed games.  Juolevi is exposed.  It’s games to meet the minimum exposure requirement at the team level.  Every team has to leave exposed at least 2 forwards and 1 D with 27 games played this season or 54 over 2 seasons and who are still under contract in 2021/22.

Juolevi, if not protected, is exposed but can’t be used to meet that requirement and another D who does will need to be exposed.  The Canucks only have Myers and Schmidt that meet the requirement.  CapFriendly conveniently marks players who qualify in green.  So at least 2 Fs and 1 D shown in green will have to be left exposed along with the others.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, mll said:

It’s not protected/exposed games.  Juolevi is exposed.  It’s games to meet the minimum exposure requirement at the team level.  Every team has to leave exposed at least 2 forwards and 1 D with 27 games played this season or 54 over 2 seasons and who are still under contract in 2021/22.

Juolevi, if not protected, is exposed but can’t be used to meet that requirement and another D who does will need to be exposed.  The Canucks only have Myers and Schmidt that meet the requirement.  CapFriendly conveniently marks players who qualify in green.  So at least 2 Fs and 1 D shown in green will have to be left exposed along with the others.

So essentially JB has to sign a player or 2 before the expansion 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So essentially JB has to sign a player or 2 before the expansion 

They are set at forward - Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle qualify.  On D they will need to choose between Myers or Schmidt, unless they extend Benn, Hamonic or Edler to be exposed - not sure any of the 3 would agree though.

There are not many trade options as some teams are also missing that D to expose or only have 1 that qualifies.  Some Ds that could be available also don’t have cheap contracts. 

• Thanks 1

Wonder if any team makes a deal with Seattle where they sign a UFA just to have Seattle take them in the expansion draft (for example, a player like Benn). The player would be on it, as well.

Curious how a deal like that would work and if the NHL would even allow it.

Edited by kanucks25

53 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Wonder if any team makes a deal with Seattle where they sign a UFA just to have Seattle take them in the expansion draft (for example, a player like Benn). The player would be on it, as well.

Curious how a deal like that would work and if the NHL would even allow it.

Engelland was a UFA when chosen as Calgary’s pick.  Seattle, like Vegas at the time, will have a few days to talk to UFAs/RFAs that have been left exposed by their teams and agree on a contract.

Seattle have 30 players to select and there are some constraints on number of players at each position to select, contract situation and overall cap.  Having more flexibility is better for them.  If they agree to take a signed Benn, it allows to protect both Myers and Schmidt.  However it removes flexibility for Seattle, who otherwise could talk to Benn as UFA or select Myers/Schmidt.

Edited by mll

9 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

It's incredible how that one infamous picture (in the middle there) perfectly sums up his time as a Canuck. :lol:

Yea and his first goal too.  The one on his own net !!!   I was there and never laughed so hard in my life.   A total Goof play!

On 3/15/2021 at 7:46 PM, mll said:

They are set at forward - Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle qualify.  On D they will need to choose between Myers or Schmidt, unless they extend Benn, Hamonic or Edler to be exposed - not sure any of the 3 would agree though.

There are not many trade options as some teams are also missing that D to expose or only have 1 that qualifies.  Some Ds that could be available also don’t have cheap contracts. 

I suppose it depends on whether JB intends to expose Myers with a fair chance that he is selected, or whether he really wants to make some moves to protect Myers.

Matthew Benning is an obvious guy that:

1) Meets the exposure requirements,

2) Is signed for next season,

3) Hasn't really worked out in Nashville as their 3rd pairing guy, 

4) Is on a $1m contract so could be waived in VAN and leave no cap foot print,

5) Is a RHD and could provide depth for VAN at that position next year at worst case.

What would it cost to get M Benning out of Nashville? Maybe a late round pick or maybe some potential options for their RHD 3rd pairing next season alongside Borowiecki? Perhaps trade Benn (50% retained to match MB's salary this year) as a guy they can try out this season as a vet on their 3rd pairing with a view to resigning next season to a low cost contract? Or maybe a Rafferty or Chatfield as a younger RHD with potential upside, both pending UFAs but gives Nashville a chance to try them and resign them if they like?

Nashville presumably will protect Josi, Ellis, Fabbro. Try to trade Ekholm this TDL or he might be exposed. Even if they trade Ekholm they still have Borowiecki on contract to meet exposure requirements for Seattle.