The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

20 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I suppose it depends on whether JB intends to expose Myers with a fair chance that he is selected, or whether he really wants to make some moves to protect Myers.

Matthew Benning is an obvious guy that:

1) Meets the exposure requirements,

2) Is signed for next season,

3) Hasn't really worked out in Nashville as their 3rd pairing guy, 

4) Is on a $1m contract so could be waived in VAN and leave no cap foot print,

5) Is a RHD and could provide depth for VAN at that position next year at worst case.

What would it cost to get M Benning out of Nashville? Maybe a late round pick or maybe some potential options for their RHD 3rd pairing next season alongside Borowiecki? Perhaps trade Benn (50% retained to match MB's salary this year) as a guy they can try out this season as a vet on their 3rd pairing with a view to resigning next season to a low cost contract? Or maybe a Rafferty or Chatfield as a younger RHD with potential upside, both pending UFAs but gives Nashville a chance to try them and resign them if they like?

Nashville presumably will protect Josi, Ellis, Fabbro. Try to trade Ekholm this TDL or he might be exposed. Even if they trade Ekholm they still have Borowiecki on contract to meet exposure requirements for Seattle.

They will likely protect 4 Ds if they don’t trade Ekholm at the TDL. Nashville doesn’t look to have 4 forwards worth protecting.  Johansen and Duchene are not worth their contracts and they’d probably be happy to lose one.

Doubt they see any use in a veteran D like Benn.  They have internal options for 3rd pairing D. It’s more beneficial to try and get their young players up to speed especially if next season is a retooling year.  Feels unlikely that they can turn things around that quickly and need young guys to step in rather then try again with vets. 

Rafferty and Chatfield are upcoming UFAs and already 25.  Nashville has D prospects of their own so doubt they’d be of interest.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, mll said:

They will likely protect 4 Ds if they don’t trade Ekholm at the TDL. Nashville doesn’t look to have 4 forwards worth protecting.  Johansen and Duchene are not worth their contracts and they’d probably be happy to lose one.

Doubt they see any use in a veteran D like Benn.  They have internal options for 3rd pairing D. It’s more beneficial to try and get their young players up to speed especially if next season is a retooling year.  Feels unlikely that they can turn things around that quickly and need young guys to step in rather then try again with vets. 

Rafferty and Chatfield are upcoming UFAs and already 25.  Nashville has D prospects of their own so doubt they’d be of interest.

You answered what they would not trade M Benning for...but not what it would take for the Canucks to get him prior to the ED. I am guessing a late round pick would be plenty, since he clearly has not worked out in Nashville and according to you they have internal options for their 3rd pairing...all suggesting he is unnecessary on their roster

19 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Woah.  Embarassing.

Totally. We had Baertchi, Granlund and Gudbranson protected. Was that the last season of the Sedins? That roster has nothing on it other then Horvat pretty much 

On 3/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, playboi19 said:

Seattle is going to have a MAF/Holtby tandem. They're already better than half the league.

I dont know about MAF, that would mean the Kraken would be committing almost 12 million in goalies, highly unlikely. They'll probably take Holtby and take a younger goalie with upside and a small cap hit

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I dont know about MAF, that would mean the Kraken would be committing almost 12 million in goalies, highly unlikely. They'll probably take Holtby and take a younger goalie with upside and a small cap hit

MAF just keeps getting it done in Vegas. They have 12 million in goalies and lead the league in winning percentage ... Lehner went down and MAF is still playing like he's in his prime.   IF Kraken want to win - they choose MAF and a cheap promising goalie.   Holtby for sure won't be picked we are stuck with him. 

Myers will liked get picked if he's exposed as a result of having too.   Kraken will also want a good vet to compliment their bevy of promising young defenders of which they will have plenty to choose from.   

It's hard to know for sure what Seattle will do - Vegas did nothing at all like I thought they'd do, really most CDCers didn't think they'd be a good team at the time.   Look how that turned out.  GMs keep saying they've learned their lessons and won't pay extras - but i have my doubts they won't.   Seattle most likely just bought themselves a good team, that we will have to play often.   Ugh.  Going to miss ARI.

It's pretty early to be making a list, considering the likelihood of moves..

but if you're spitballing based on the present...pencilling in a hypothetical - as if the e.d. were tomorrow..

EP, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Virtanen, Lind

Juolevi, Schmidt, Myers.

DemKO.

And then I'd pray that Seattle does not take my Beagle!

On 3/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, kanucks25 said:

Remember when Sbisa played regular D-man minutes for us for years? It doesn't really mean anything (at least not without context).

Remember when Vegas selected Sbisa in the expansion draft - and then earned a top 4 spot in Vegas - competing with a long list of  #4 D that Vegas had taken.

Probably not.  I suspect your memory is quite selective.

"Pizza" got the last laugh on all the trolling he endured in this market.  

The 'analyticz' geniuses that pegged him as the worst defenseman in the NHL -  took one square on the chin.  And it's not as though Vegas did not know what they were doing.  They took that extremely favourable format and ran with it - directly into being a contender.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Remember when Vegas selected Sbisa in the expansion draft - and then earned a top 4 spot in Vegas - competing with a long list of  #4 D that Vegas had taken.

The 'analyticz' geniuses that pegged him as the worst defenseman in the NHL -  took one square on the chin.  And it's not as though Vegas did not know what they were doing.  They took that extremely favourable format and ran with it - directly into being a contender.

If even our worst players were good and/or Benning's worst moves were good, we'd win the cup ever year.

Give it up already lol

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If even our worst players were good and/or Benning's worst moves were good, we'd win the cup ever year.

Give it up already lol

looking back, I think a fair view of Sbisa needs to include the mistreatment he got at some of the TO stats media, in particular that Yost p.o.s. He really beat poor Luca over the head with corsi-only "analysis"

Sbisa was fine for what he was, its not his fault Jim overpaid for him. 

It's pretty early to be making a list, considering the likelihood of moves..

but if you're spitballing based on the present...pencilling in a hypothetical - as if the e.d. were tomorrow..

EP, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Virtanen, Lind

Juolevi, Schmidt, Myers.

DemKO.

And then I'd pray that Seattle does not take my Beagle!

Only difference I'd have here is I'd keep Gaudette over Lind, I don't think we've seen AG at his best yet. Lind otoh hasn't made the NHL yet, so we don't know quite what he is yet. Curious why you have him over AG. 

image.jpeg.71837234c47ac8330e10b9a933e57afd.jpeg

16 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I should use this picture to make a custom pair of Vans. 

We should frame that and send it to JB to put on his desk, so he remembers this hard lesson and DOES NOT re-sign any of the old/deadwood on our bottom 6 after this year and next  (and Edler and Benn) to any more dumb Long-Term contracts EVER AGAIN!  The Old-Slow Old-Timers Like Sutter and Roussel to name a few have to go.  Our team is still too slow and old to compete. 

I'm guilty of doing this as well (overemphasis on mistakes - real or not) but *ALL* GM's make mistakes.  Some obviously make more than others (that's what separate the average ones from the really good ones).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Can’t see them picking Holtby.  Seattle ownership calls analytics a way of life.  They say they want to be a team that knows how to evaluate players.  In their GM search they looked at his drafting, trades but also the efficiency of his contract signings. Would expect them to target goalies that can perform beyond their environment or at least break even.  Fleury would be a solid get.  

Quick has an NMC so unless he waives Petersen at 860K will also be available.  Kuemper could be too.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

looking back, I think a fair view of Sbisa needs to include the mistreatment he got at some of the TO stats media, in particular that Yost p.o.s. He really beat poor Luca over the head with corsi-only "analysis"

Sbisa was fine for what he was, its not his fault Jim overpaid for him. 

What mistreatment? He was awful both on the stat sheet and visually. Nothing against the guy personally, seemed like a likeable dude.

Again, I reiterate:

If our worst players were good, we'd be elite.

If Benning's worst moves were good ,we'd be the best team in the league with multiple rings.

If one can't even admit that Benning's worst transactions/acquisitions were bad, there are no discussions to be had lol.

Edited by kanucks25

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

What mistreatment? He was awful both on the stat sheet and visually. Nothing against the guy personally, seemed like a likeable dude.

Again, I reiterate:

If our worst players were good, we'd be elite.

If Benning's worst moves were good ,we'd be the best team in the league with multiple rings.

If one can't even admit that Benning's worst transactions/acquisitions were bad, there are no discussions to be had lol.

ragging on a player just based on corsi alone is as bad as using +/- alone. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ragging on a player just based on corsi alone is as bad as using +/- alone. 

Don't need corsi.

Anybody who watched him play knew that he had the hockey IQ of a boulder.

Which begs the question: are our pro scouts high or just incompetent? Because this was apparent before he ever played a game for the Canucks to anybody who paid attention to players outside Vancouver.

Edited by kanucks25