The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft, who are you keeping ?

Rate this topic

AriGold

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Perhaps a trade? For example, Chicago will be protecting Keith (NMC). They have Murphy, De Haan and an under used Madison Bowey who meet the requirements for the draft. It's likely a pretty safe bet that if Seattle wanted to select a d-man from Chicago, then it wouldn't be Bowey, who is sitting there at around league minimum and one more year left on his current deal.

I believe the Canucks could get him for (hopefully) something reasonable, and then he becomes the exposed guy and Myers goes on the protected list with Schmidt and Juolevi.

regards,  G.

Chicago signed Bowey to 2 years so themselves could meet the exposure requirements. 

Teams that have cheap Ds that meet the exposure requirements, like Bowey, could be asking more than their worth in a trade.

20 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Sbisa played almost 19 minutes per game over the 3 years he was here.

My point is not that Sbisa and Myers are equal players but instead that just because a player plays a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean he's good or should be playing that much.

In other words, "Myers plays a lot" isn't enough of a reason to justify this cap-hit.

He played less at even strength than Matt Bartkowski.

He played alot on the PK which padded his combined total. As I said 3rd pair/PK guy. Sbisa was always an easily replaceable player, his absence didn't create a hole at all.

Myers getting taken will be a blow to our blueline - much more than losing Sbisa was - regardless what you think of the contract.

9 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

That will be Benn. The reason he's playing every night is to get his 70 games in. Then the Canucks will sign and expose him. It's the only thing that makes sense of him playing ahead of Olli.

Why would Benn sign that deal?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Chicago signed Bowey to 2 years so themselves could meet the exposure requirements. 

Teams that have cheap Ds that meet the exposure requirements, like Bowey, could be asking more than their worth in a trade.

Yes, but my point is, why would Seattle choose him? There will be more than just Bowey being exposed by Chicago in this draft, no?  :)

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

Yes, but my point is, why would Seattle choose him? There will be more than just Bowey being exposed by Chicago in this draft, no?  :)

regards,  G.

Bowey might well be their only D that meets the exposure requirements.  

Keith (NMC),  Murphy, DeHaan, Zadorov, Bowey, Lindholm and Carlsson are their Ds expansion eligible.

Lindholm is 26 and has yet to play a game this season.  Carlsson is 23 and played only 12 games. Neither might be worthy of protection.  Seabrook will likely be exempt as he has a career ending condition.

They can protect Keith + 2 of Murphy, DeHaan or Zadorov.  Zadorov is a RFA with arbitration rights and would not qualify to meet the requirement if he is the one left exposed.  Murphy and DeHaan both average more minutes than Zadorov.  

Chicago’s season went better than expected but they are still in a rebuild.  Zadorov was expected to be trade bait at the TDL but he apparently took on a bigger role than expected.   Not sure they can spare Bowey depending on their TDL plans and who they wish to protect.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Bowey might well be their only D that meets the exposure requirements.  

Keith (NMC),  Murphy, DeHaan, Zadorov, Bowey, Lindholm and Carlsson are their Ds expansion eligible.

Lindholm is 26 and has yet to play a game this season.  Carlsson is 23 and played only 12 games. Neither might be worthy of protection.  Seabrook will likely be exempt as he has a career ending condition.

They can protect Keith + 2 of Murphy, DeHaan or Zadorov.  Zadorov is a RFA with arbitration rights and would not qualify to meet the requirement if he is the one left exposed.  Murphy and DeHaan both average more minutes than Zadorov.  

Chicago’s season went better than expected but they are still in a rebuild.  Zadorov was expected to be trade bait at the TDL but he apparently took on a bigger role than expected.   Not sure they can spare Bowey depending on their TDL plans and who they wish to protect.

Yup, my mistake. I was thinking along an incorrect path for the Chicago example. Need more sleep and breakfast.  :)

regards,  G.

Edit: I think I figured where I went wrong. When I first thought of this, it was pre-Seabrook retirement. At that time, Chicago would still have to leave one of De Haan or Murphy unprotected for the ED, and my brain (on some level) hadn't caught up with current events. Meh, stuff happens. I do still believe that the plan is sound, just gotta find a team willing to give up an extra d-man who qualifies. They are out there.

Edited by Gollumpus

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He played less at even strength than Matt Bartkowski.

He played alot on the PK which padded his combined total. As I said 3rd pair/PK guy. Sbisa was always an easily replaceable player, his absence didn't create a hole at all.

Myers getting taken will be a blow to our blueline - much more than losing Sbisa was - regardless what you think of the contract.

You're still comparing Sbisa vs Myers directly which I'm not, which I explained in the post you quoted.

Replace Sbisa's name with any player at any position that gets more ice-time than he should.

Edited by kanucks25

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Recent Mock Expansion Draft

https://soundofhockey.com/2021/03/11/sound-of-hockey-mock-seattle-kraken-expansion-draft-3/

So who do Canuck fans choose to go to Seattle...

Jake, Adam or Kole?

I would not be happy about losing Kole, as he is having a breakout year in Utica.

I wonder if we could capitalize on Lind in a trade like LA did to us with Vey. I don't really think he's going to be a difference maker at the NHL.

Maybe even offer him to Seattle to take on the final year of Roussel's deal.

Edited by Josepho

5 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I wonder if we could capitalize on Lind in a trade like LA did to us with Vey. I don't really think he's going to be a difference maker at the NHL.

I doubt it...without the Lind pick, Seattle picks either Gaud or Virt.

At the moment, Jake's game is looking like a Vey trade:(.  Are there many fans that think Gaud or Virt are difference makers? 

Lind is looking more appealing since Utica  switched him over to C last season. He has the scoring touch, plays a very physical game with a high energy level and holds his own defensively.  He's just 22yrs, so is in the early days of pro development.  He's only going to improve.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Recent Mock Expansion Draft

https://soundofhockey.com/2021/03/11/sound-of-hockey-mock-seattle-kraken-expansion-draft-3/

So who do Canuck fans choose to go to Seattle...

Jake, Adam or Kole?

I would not be happy about losing Kole, as he is having a breakout year in Utica.

If I did have to select two out of the three to protect, then I would have to go with Lind and Virtanen.

My previous comments on this subject were given with the thought that Seattle would take Myers as an experienced d-man etc. Looking at this, and having a full break down with cap considerations being brought into play is an interesting change up.

I still wouldn't discount Myers being selected. His cap hit is high, but he has a good term on his deal which I would think would be attractive to a new team.

For forwards, I assumed Gaudette and Virtanen as being on the protected list, mostly because of an NHL track record, their NHL potential which is still being developed, and the assumed likelihood that should they be traded, they would bring back a better return than any of the other unprotected forwards. I was uncomfortable leaving Lind off the protected list, but my thoughts were that Myers would (probably) be selected, and Lind's AHL "anonymity" would protect him. Maybe not.

regards,  G.

Protect Gadjovich, Lind & Big Mac, if possible.

Give'em a choice of Gaud or Shotgun..who TH cares?! It's not as if we're handin' over the Caramilk secret here. As things stand, the ED is more of an opportunity to us, than a dilemma.

Protect these youth with grit, grease & backbone. It's high time we forged some identity with this fashion of play. Every F***ing line should play with speed & pack-mentality. Also size on the blue, where Big Nik should help immensely.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Googlie said:

Good article thanks, and the follow up includes the author's prediction that The Special K will be selecting Holtby from our indomitable Canucks. 

Maybe I like this guy, he thinks like I do, lol, that is, I think we may 'lose' Holtby too, and that was probably JB's plan, when deciding to let Markstrom go, for how to hang on to Demko.

Canucks management had, and have, a lot of tough decisions to make with Covid, No Revenue, Salary Claw Backs, and the Expansion Draft added to the normally-pretty-busy-anyway summer months, along with the kid-glove treatment that might be required to massage Tryamkin and Podkolzin into the lineup, and the No Look Entry Draft where many eligible players will have missed last season, and management had less scouting opportunities.

I hope they take Holtby, not that I think he isn't a good goalie.  I just don't want to lose any of McEwen, Lind, Virtanen, Juolevi, or any of our other valuable prospects/young players.

I do remember how we all fretted considerably until the Vegas Expansion Draft and then lost only Sbisa (whom I also liked, but was not too valuable to lose).

So I think we will be ok thru Seattle's Shopping Spree and the march to Lord Stanley's Finger Bowl will continue apace.

Rant:  I personally cannot abide the ego-stuffed noisy few who come on here with the audacity to crow about their abilities to handle things better than Frankie, JB, & Co. 

Get over yourselves, show some respect, and quit coming on here spouting contrarian nonsense just to be that way.

Treat people the way you would like to be treated, not by childish name-calling and things like, "Fire Green!" 

This is not discussion.  This is attention-seeking. 

Know the rules for CDC and try to understand the intent of the rules, and play by the rules, and try to satisfy their intentions.

How posters like DumbFNut are still allowed to post is beyond me. 

"Ignore" only works if you don't respond to them at all. 

Et cetera.

Carry on.

GO BO BO!!

Just wish the GM in place this summer has something up his sleeve better than "protect Markus Granlund" (as another poster also pointed out earlier in this thread) this time around.

There is really only 1 D-man and 4 forwards we have to protect, the rest are optional depending on how things shake out:

image.thumb.png.5f8699b2aefc598623dfebac25444f4a.png

So many options available. A shrewd GM would be salivating thinking about what he could concoct.

There are teams out there looking for players to expose, and we have 5 forwards and 1 D-man available that are eligible (assuming they put Juolevi in 12 more games).

There are also teams out there that will need to shed a good player so that he isn't taken by Seattle for free, but won't be able to get full value for said player in a trade because other teams know he has to be shipped out.

Exposing Myers not only gives us a chance at shedding his contract but also fills our exposure requirement so that we don't have to trade an asset to acquire someone that could be exposed (this is assuming they aren't planning to give Juolevi his 12 games and then expose him lol).

We need a piranha at the helm.

e/ Just remembered we also protected Gudbranson when Theodore was on the market. Jesus Christ lol.

Edited by kanucks25

8 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

You're still comparing Sbisa vs Myers directly which I'm not, which I explained in the post you quoted.

Replace Sbisa's name with any player at any position that gets more ice-time than he should.

Its a poor example.

Even if he's not #1, he should still be top 4. Again I agree expose him & that he's a little overpaid but he's been a good player this year. From a purely on ice-perspective It'll be a loss if he's taken. 

49 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

From a purely on ice-perspective It'll be a loss if he's taken. 

Yes, of course. In a vacuum he'd be replaced by Chatfield, for example, which is obviously a downgrade.

But that's an extremely shallow way of evaluating the situation. 

Are we better with Myers than without given the current alternate options? Probably, but that doesn't mean that shedding his contract isn't the best-case scenario. See my post just before yours here.

Edited by kanucks25

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Yes, of course. In a vacuum he'd be replaced by Chatfield, for example, which is obviously a downgrade.

But that's an extremely shallow way of evaluating the situation. 

Are we better with Myers than without given the current alternate options? Probably, but that doesn't mean that shedding his contract isn't the best-case scenario. See my post just before yours here.

I agree with the bottom, it was the case I made elsewhere. I think there is something to be said for the contract clouding peoples judgement of Myers, but anyways.

Curious, do you have anyone in mind that might be available - that other teams can't protect - and desirable to target? 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree with the bottom, it was the case I made elsewhere. I think there is something to be said for the contract clouding peoples judgement of Myers, but anyways.

I don't mind Myers as a player, but (as much as some people don't like it) the reality of the cap world is that each player is evaluated not by their performance but by their performance weighed against their cap-hit.

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Curious, do you have anyone in mind that might be available - that other teams can't protect - and desirable to target? 

That's what I've been researching on this very slow Saturday but it's really impossible to figure out given all the variables.

Just as an example, apparently Ekholm is available out of Nashville but who knows what actually ends up happening. The Preds could trade him, or they could make a deal with Seattle in which they give up something else to keep Ekholm, or perhaps they find a way to protect 4 D-men. 

I don't know who is available at this deadline and in the upcoming summer and what the price will be, but our GM would.

What we do know is that there definitely will be quality players available one way or another, that's just how the musical chairs will work out, and I hope we take advantage of that instead of protecting this draft's version of Gudbranson and Granlund (whoever that may be).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1