The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Rangers had no coaches. Covid protocol

Canucks should try a few games without coaches....  could be the way forward for our club.

Men Without Coaches....

artworks-000061305729-s0cipw-t500x500.jp

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

As young as the core is there are vets on this team. With that said this group is not playoff quality. As you rightfully pointed out the number of quality scoring chances given up is outrageous. Less than 3 minutes left in a tie game on they try a breakout pass cross ice instead of up the boards. While better than last game the intercepts in the neutral zone was high.

Demko saves them again and a inexperienced Sens team struggles with execution. That is the only reason the Canucks got 2 points.

Glad to see Motter back he was his old self. Solid game. 

This absolutely drives me crazy. I was watching a lot of team interviews and I caught one of Greener. He basically said the players are being taught that there is a right time to free wheel/keep possession in your own zone and try to create plays and there are times when you need to manage the game and make a safe play (dump it out). He basically said our players need to get better there, especially pointed out Hughes. So this whole the defence sucks and it's all on the coaching is not true. The players themselves are just too inexperienced, careless (Miller), or caught in the middle to execute properly, and that's what I see continually in our own end.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think what is important is that we keep GDT/PGT's as bitter as possible despite winning a bunch.

Consistency is the key. 

don't you know we're missing out on picks by winning? sheesh. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Pretty impressive that our squad was able to beat Ott in every game this series without letting the Sens hold a lead once.

And yes, Demko is part of our squad. 

the schedule gets very interesting after this weekend. No more MTL, 4 more against OTT, and a &^@# ton against Cowgary and EDM.  Anything can happen in that bizarre schedule. 

I feel like the Canucks are down 3-2 in a 7 game series, they really have to win the next two. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

True, and it is soo annoying that we get to watch our young goalie set up and turn into a star while our top scorer is sidelined. 

yeah what a drag, I mean all we did was draft him, develop him properly, and now he's turning into a genuine starter in front of our eyes. What a disappointment. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This absolutely drives me crazy. I was watching a lot of team interviews and I caught one of Greener. He basically said the players are being taught that there is a right time to free wheel in your own zone and try to create plays and there are times when you need to manage the game and make a safe play. He basically said our players need to get better there, especially pointed out Hughes. So this whole the defence sucks is all on the coaching is not true. The players themselves are just to inexperienced or careless (Miller) to execute properly as well, and that's what I see continually in our own end.

This is how I largely see team performance this year though I don't think coaches are totally off the hook because apart from developing systems, they also need to communicate with the players to try and maximize the performance of those players within their systems.  For example, love him or hate him, Jacques Lemaire's systems required buy-in from players who would likely have been more free wheeling had he allowed them to.  Some players thrived with Lemaire while others just couldn't excel in that kind of system.  Another current example would be Trotz who, with all due respect to the players on NYI, has squeezed out a great deal of success from that roster which IMHO would not ordinarily be expected to be as successful as they have been.

If there's one issue I would take directly with Green's comments is that asking players to get better on the ice within the system is not an untrue conclusion to arrive at, but if multiple players are not executing the system well for long stretches of time, then I think it's fair to question whether the system needs tweaking or an overhaul.  We can't necessarily expect players to play at an aspirational level of play at all times.  It would presumably be more effective to have a system that mitigates against players' weaknesses.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Ugh I hate when we have a goalie who has the ability to steal games, why would we want that. 

Right?  Doesn't sit well with my spoiled entitled ass either.  I can't believe he's helped skyrocket us from the basement to mediocrity.

Gotta take the good with the bad.

Comes with having a passionate fan base. At least people care, it's better than apathy. 

I think the organization, especially Aquilini, would take our fans over say, the average fan in Florida that probably can't tell the difference between an icing and an offside.

I know his bank account prefers us, too.

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I doubt there’s too many other fanbases that complain about winning as much as we do

We Canucks fans haven't had much practice at it over the years.  We'll figure out winning one of these years.  GCG!

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

True, and it is soo annoying that we get to watch our young goalie set up and turn into a star while our top scorer is sidelined. 

I'm pretty upset they didn't carry the blue seat coverings all the way up to the second tier back at Rogers. 

Was that JB's call?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The fact that Hollywood could in the span of a decade and a half destroy two franchises is just mind boggling to me. 

(Star Wars and Star Trek)

Maybe even 3 with Battlestar Paranoia. 

This is pretty subjective :-)