The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Demko > Marks7rom

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That Demko guy looks pretty good.  That Markstrom guy not so much.  Maybe Benning is really smarter than some of you guys...

AS Sv%: Demko 0.920   Markstrom 0.903

AS GSAA: Demko: 10.36   Markstrom -1.90

5v5 Sv%: Demko 0.927   Markstrom 0.917

5v5 GSAA: Demko 5.08   Markstrom -0.22

PK Sv%: Demko 0.889   Markstrom 0.857

PK GSAA: Demko 4.26  Markstrom 0.21

(GSAA: goals saved above average—Demko is 4th in the NHL by this stat)

Pretty safe to say Demko has been the better netminder this year.

He’s basically performed at the level of an elite/top-5 NHL #1G so far this season, while Markstorm has been pretty much average/middle of the pack.

(In Marky’s defence, he was very good early, but then Calgary rode him far too hard, and his performance levels came crashing down. Getting banged up probably didn’t help much, either.)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well I don't listen to JD Burke. He's one of the hockey experts I ignore after how he bashed The Last Jedi 

The fact that Hollywood could in the span of a decade and a half destroy two franchises is just mind boggling to me. 

(Star Wars and Star Trek)

Maybe even 3 with Battlestar Paranoia. 

4 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I prefer to use a larger sample size to increase statistical certainty. We are below average there is no way around that, which I could live with if we didn't have such offensive potential in our players. 

We were top5 last year with the exact same team. 

I'm not saying everything is hunkey dorey with this team but I do find it funny how the teams who had easy schedules are now struggling while the nucks who had easily the hardest schedule have turned it around. 

Many people who are a lot smarter than anyone here all said the amount of games, lack of practice, and 3 new D would affect the team.

Looks like they were right.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The fact that Hollywood could in the span of a decade and a half destroy two franchises is just mind boggling to me. 

(Star Wars and Star Trek)

Maybe even 3 with Battlestar Paranoia. 

At the risk of derailing this topic but I blame both Disney and the Fans (mostly the fans) for what happened to Star Wars. The Last Jedi was great but The Rise of Skywalker was somewhat underwhelming but I blame the outcome of TROS of both a loud minority of Fans bashing, without any valid argument,  The Last Jedi and Disney's caving trying to appease these people. To the point that Disney was embracing the Franchise's most toxic fanbase. 

As for Star Trek I can't say I am a big fan though I have seen some shows and movies from time to time but the TOS only lasted for 3 seasons, so the fact that we are still getting well received movies and TV shows from the franchise is an amazing feat. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The Canucks are in exactly the same situation as last year... except their defense is worse.

They need their goalie to stand on his head to win... which Marky did all last year, but unfortunately Demko has only been able to do it for the last few games.

They beat Ottawa twice, but Ottawa is clearly one of the worst teams in the league.

Winning like this not sustainable.  The team needs a better D-Corps and they need a coach who can teach team defense.

And that doesn't even consider the fact the offensive system doesn't exist.

Until Green is replaced, and they bring Tryamkin back as well as acquiring a legitimate top 3 D there will be no lasting improvement.

The D is not worse than last year, the team was garbage the first 16 games but have been a lot better.

The Sens that we and the Oilers are 12 and 0 against are a 500 to plus 500 against the supposed top teams in the North.

Tram has regressed every single season in the K and is a ufa after next season. I highly doubt he comes here on anything but a lopsided one year deal that walks him to UFA. People need to give up on him, he sucks anyways.

Green plays a very demanding system and when the team slacks it looks poor, but aside from a couple of games it has been fine since game 18.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agree but atleast it was 1 short shift.

Virtanen had multiple and wasn't great on any of them. Maybe he doesn't trust Hoglander defensively - IMO Hog in OT is a no brainer. 

It’s a no-brainer for me too. All #36 ever does is either a) steal the puck with a slick stick lift, or b) skate into 3 players behind the goal line and emerge with the puck. Takeaway machine.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

Last Jedi was an awful movie. Absolute disgrace for the Star Wars franchise

The movie is fine if you take away people's personal attachment to Luke Skywalker it was a well made movie that still expanded the Star Wars universe more (or at least as much as when comparing the prequels) than any of the previous mainline movies 

It wasn't perfect but aside from fanboys crying over "what they did to Luke" nonsense is there any other reason why it's considered a "cinematic failure" or "terrible movie"? 

Edited by iinatcc

8 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

yikes, dude. your going to eat your words. EP40 has hit more posts than any other player. Quote me on it, Canucks will finish higher than 15th place In powerplay % by the end of the season. we had one of the better PP'S last year same team, and you can't stop ep40s onetimer unless the defenders cheat, which hughes would pounce on. nothing wrong with our PP, worked for ovechkin and patrick laine, and it worked last year and the past 20 games.

If league average is the goal then that means that is extremely underachieving given the player we have on our power play. 

If they are top 5 then I will happily enjoy a plate of crow. Top 10 is where I think they should be - with essentially any coach with a pulse running systems. Anything less I would like to see someone else have a chance to coach our power play systems. 

Our system is extremely hot and cold. I think we need someone with a few more ideas so when one isn't working then they try the others. 

Can you honestly say that you are happy with Brown and want to see him extended? Because all I am saying is I want to see someone else come in and try to unlock the fill potential of these guys. 

4 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

We were top5 last year with the exact same team. 

I'm not saying everything is hunkey dorey with this team but I do find it funny how the teams who had easy schedules are now struggling while the nucks who had easily the hardest schedule have turned it around. 

Many people who are a lot smarter than anyone here all said the amount of games, lack of practice, and 3 new D would affect the team.

Looks like they were right.

Not going to disagree with you about the schedule impacting things big time (same with injuries), however there were a lot of people saying the canucks had one of the easier schedules in the north (I disagree as I think it takes time to gel and get things going like you are elluding to - and I have mentioned such on different forums)

All I am getting at, is I think we would benefit from different coaching systems on the power play. I actually really like Green and want to see him extended but want to see different assistant coaches. Our power play is not consistently productive. A couple games with 5 pp goals against Nashville really skews the data to make it look better than it is in my opinion but you are right that there are lots of other effects skewing it the other way such as posts and unreal saves. 

I am really enjoying the games right now because I see progress which excites me. I am not one of these doomsayers no matter what if anyone checks my other posts, but I don't think any options for improvement should be off the table and I think we could improve with some new assistant coaches (in the off season). 

10 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah totally. I’m always cheering and hoping lol but now it’s kinda becoming a reality that we have a shot. Really comes down to these games with Montreal for the most part If they want to stay in it. 

I would almost start Holtby on Friday now. He wants to be apart of this little run I’m sure. And maybe the team will wake up a bit knowing it’s not Demko. Today wasn’t bad, some players were really good but they need to up it another notch again.

Pearson will be a hit if he’s out whether people agree or not. The team is hurting a bit right now. 

One thing I’ll say though. Although they ain’t perfect and have areas to improve even during this streak is they a playing like a group. At the start of the year there was none of that. Much different team even if the Ottawa games looked a little uninspiring.

Bo is really picking it up. 
Hammer quietly bringing balance on the back end. Really useful on the PK and big and tough protecting Huggy. 
Lames getting destroyed last night sets up a huge weekend for all. 
Lames looking fragile going into TO for two. 
Montreal on the brink. We need our two best games of the season. Make or break weekend in some regards. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t hold your breath on that.

His response to those teams is to collapse to the net and let them have the ice. And then hope that they turn the puck over.

Just results in lots of shots and wave after wave of attack.

Yeah, its been the same strategy for awhile now and Vegas really exposed it last year and the Habs did it more recently. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

At the risk of derailing this topic but I blame both Disney and the Fans (mostly the fans) for what happened to Star Wars. The Last Jedi was great but The Rise of Skywalker was somewhat underwhelming but I blame the outcome of TROS of both a loud minority of Fans bashing, without any valid argument,  The Last Jedi and Disney's caving trying to appease these people. To the point that Disney was embracing the Franchise's most toxic fanbase. 

As for Star Trek I can't say I am a big fan though I have seen some shows and movies from time to time but the TOS only lasted for 3 seasons, so the fact that we are still getting well received movies and TV shows from the franchise is an amazing feat. 

They only thing great about The Last Jedi is that it sucked so much I didn't bother waisting 2 hours in the theater with Rise of Skywalker. So I guess I can thank it for that lol

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Another brutal game defensively, looks like Schmidt and Miller in particular have reverted back to the start of the season defensive play. We started giving odd man rushes against again, the space between our D was too wide at times and far too many turnovers. 

Maybe this team needs another 10 goals against in Montreal to wake up again because they're playing terribly, Demko is the only reason this team is picking up any points right now so don't let the wins fool you.

Marky did it last year and Demko's doing it this year - inflating our team and making our defence and coach look much better than they really are. We have a lot of work to do right now, hopefully they can squeeze some practices in because you can see the D get sloppy again.

As young as the core is there are vets on this team. With that said this group is not playoff quality. As you rightfully pointed out the number of quality scoring chances given up is outrageous. Less than 3 minutes left in a tie game on they try a breakout pass cross ice instead of up the boards. While better than last game the intercepts in the neutral zone was high.

Demko saves them again and a inexperienced Sens team struggles with execution. That is the only reason the Canucks got 2 points.

Glad to see Motter back he was his old self. Solid game. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, its been the same strategy for awhile now and Vegas really exposed it last year and the Habs did it more recently. 

Is it strategy or do we not have the horses? 

Against Vegas, I might concede we didn't have a big / fast enough team but Mtl seems to be a strategy or skill issue...