The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

The Canucks are in exactly the same situation as last year... except their defense is worse.

They need their goalie to stand on his head to win... which Marky did all last year, but unfortunately Demko has only been able to do it for the last few games.

They beat Ottawa twice, but Ottawa is clearly one of the worst teams in the league.

Winning like this not sustainable.  The team needs a better D-Corps and they need a coach who can teach team defense.

And that doesn't even consider the fact the offensive system doesn't exist.

Until Green is replaced, and they bring Tryamkin back as well as acquiring a legitimate top 3 D there will be no lasting improvement.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

If we could somehow sweep Mtl and go 1-1 or 1-0-1 against Winnipeg and finish the next 4 games 3-1 or 3-0-1, I think everyone will jump back on the wagon.

That being said, the last 2 games vs Ott suggests we might be in for a reality check. 

Mtl played tonight as well and technically, their travel is worse (coming from Winnipeg) and we'll both have back to back Fri and Sat.

We need to put together 2 of our largest efforts this weekend. and hope that momentum carries us into Winnipeg.

Let's start with one W on Friday night!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The Canucks are in exactly the same situation as last year... except their defense is worse.

They need their goalie to stand on his head to win... which Marky did all last year, and which Demko has been doing for the last few games.

They beat Ottawa twice, but Ottawa is clearly one of the worst teams in the league.

Winning like this not sustainable.  The team needs a better D-Corps and they need a coach who can teach team defense.

And that doesn't even consider the fact the offensive system doesn't exist.

Until Green is replaced, and they bring Tryamkin back as well as acquiring a legitimate top 3 D there will be no lasting improvement.

I do agree that leaning on Demko every game is unsustainable. That being said, we did start our 6-1 streak by sweeping Toronto and we did it pretty convincingly.

I would have liked to see us dominate / control the play vs Ott so heading into Mtl with lacklustre play is concerning.

Every player needs to be on same page on Friday to beat their forecheck.  

That being said, we are doing this without Petey and Beagle.

I have started to see Virtanen playing better

Motte just came back.

Let's finish the next 4 games strong and then take a well deserved week off and rest / heal up.

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That Demko guy looks pretty good.  That Markstrom guy not so much.  Maybe Benning is really smarter than some of you guys...

That became obvious when he drafted EP40 and CDC collectively melted down and called for his head.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I agree that the Habs (like Vegas in last years playoffs), will be forechecking hard in the Offensive zone - hopefully Green and the staff will finally have an answer to teams that play this system against us ....

Don’t hold your breath on that.

His response to those teams is to collapse to the net and let them have the ice. And then hope that they turn the puck over.

Just results in lots of shots and wave after wave of attack.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Need to sell for sure . This is such an unsustainable level of play again . Bailed from save after save from demko. 

The thing is when the team was playing well they weren't getting the points.

A sign of a good team is to get the points when they crap the bed, doesn't matter how.

Selling at the deadline won't get us any 1sts or 2nds and unless we are clearly out of it why bother?

We have won every game without Petey but one, having him back will be bigger than any deadline deal.

Plus aside from the Sens games and he one Habs game we have played well the last 10+ games.

Getting a chance at the playoffs without giving up the future is the best road IMO,  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

They were far ahead,then lost too many players to UFA

Who Tanev Marky? Have you not been watching them and the guys who replaced them?

TT is on pace to shatter his best season but personally I don't see him as a need going forward. We have to many kids that will need a chance, plus there are better options out there the next couple off off-seasons.

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

JD Burke, along with certain regulars at HF Canucks such as MS, Y2KCanucks, and tantalum have been awfully quiet lately.  I wonder why?

Well I don't listen to JD Burke. He's one of the hockey experts I ignore after how he bashed The Last Jedi 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t hold your breath on that.

His response to those teams is to collapse to the net and let them have the ice. And then hope that they turn the puck over.

Just results in lots of shots and wave after wave of attack.

You missed the rare outing into the Ozone we will give it away with a sloppy no look pass along the blue line for a 3-0 breakaway.

I’m not a TG hater nor am I a lover but I get there will always be systems we struggle with, but in those situations you need to be pragmatic and sometimes not play your game but adapt to the opposition. It seems after Vegas we still haven’t found out a way to play against the multi man high pressure forecheck (the ice hockey gengen press) 

Another brutal game defensively, looks like Schmidt and Miller in particular have reverted back to the start of the season defensive play. We started giving odd man rushes against again, the space between our D was too wide at times and far too many turnovers. 

Maybe this team needs another 10 goals against in Montreal to wake up again because they're playing terribly, Demko is the only reason this team is picking up any points right now so don't let the wins fool you.

Marky did it last year and Demko's doing it this year - inflating our team and making our defence and coach look much better than they really are. We have a lot of work to do right now, hopefully they can squeeze some practices in because you can see the D get sloppy again.

• Cheers 2