The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 19, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’m tired of the vague injury reports. I don’t understand how it’s evolved to this. What’s the motive? If other teams learn that EP has a right shoulder injury, do they think they’ll target that injury? Pretty soon it’s just going to be “body injury” 

Yes, they absolutely will target it. Especially when you play the same team several games in a row.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Seriously?? How has he been a bust??? Sure he only has 1 goal but he's been solid defensively at +3. Only dressed for 15 games I think he's been a success so far with limited opportunity. He can't impress if he doesn't get to play

... because apparently to these types of people, if Benning touches it, it dies.

There should be a rule which states one cannot complain when there is off-game time.

And another rule which states one cannot complain during the game time.

Treat them like smokers.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’m tired of the vague injury reports. I don’t understand how it’s evolved to this. What’s the motive? If other teams learn that EP has a right shoulder injury, do they think they’ll target that injury? Pretty soon it’s just going to be “body injury” 

This started with Gillis but it is just a form of gamesmanship cause teams will certainly take such information for granted; if you were a coach/player wouldn’t you ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

49 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

another Benning Bust, his fifth season and he is still on the taxi squad

D men take time.. he's been getting good development time after healing up physically. 

He'll be top 4 Dman by the time he's 25 yrs old.. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

D men take time.. he's been getting good development time after healing up physically. 

He'll be top 4 Dman by the time he's 25 yrs old.. 

He already is a top 6. For whatever reason this is how management is rolling this season. Easily replaces Benn next season and will move up depth chart in due time 

57 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

another Benning Bust, his fifth season and he is still on the taxi squad

It's like an opportunity to be negative stands out to you like the Bat signal 

Juolevi's looked fine this season, and it's a damn shame our coaching staff haven't been getting him into games 

Edited by Coconuts

29 minutes ago, Me_ said:

You saw that Canucks Army ridiculous article too?

Cool.

Lets mess with the lineup which has gone on this winning streak. 

Would also like to see OJ cause three of the D men currently playing are FA’s and (imo) they should all walk.  OJ is looking like he will be a part of the future and sitting is not helping him learn what he needs to work on for next season when he should be getting guaranteed minutes.   

Personally, I don’t blame Green for icing a veteran group cause he is only looking out for himself due to his contract status.  Playing a vet lineup with player(s) (highly motivated) by a contract will tend to perform better (theoretically) than an unproven (but eager) rookie and this type of line up should (in theory) give him the best chance to win.  Although, despite playing a vet lineup these wins are mostly due to our still new #1 goalie (Demko) cause the team is still struggling, playing sloppy and lacking consistency.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's like an opportunity to be negative stands out to you like the Bat signal 

Juolevi's looked fine this season, and it's a damn shame our coaching staff haven't been getting him into games 

I agree. I'm curious. Is Juolevi eligible for this upcoming expansion draft? If so, maybe that's why he hasnt been getting game time that he deserves. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

BTW just to spread some joy into the GDT and some positive thinking .... SN did an article about a year ago on the best first round draft picks from 2010-2020 (which i referenced in a different thread this morning)...  JB has picked the best 5th overall, 7th overall, 23 overall  and the article said it's possible also the best 10th overall but the jury is still out.   Horvat also didn't quite make the cut at 9th (that goes to Hamilton).   Given that Buffalo AGAIN looks like a team that could draft 1-4 under the new rules, and really should be first ... and that they have one over the past decade that made the cut in Eichel as best second overall pick ... plus Reinhart, Risto, Dahlin, well really it's a very long laundry list... even COL had multiple higher picks then we did (2 4ths - and props to them for making that happen)....

Reading that article just was another acknowledgement that we are on the right path and good things are coming.  Patience might be running thin and as a somewhat long time fan i get that too.   But compared to bad teams .... and some terrible ones ... things could be so so much worse.   Buffalo is loaded with first rounders - like EDM used to be before they went on to their second wave of high first round pick core guys (well two really plus RNH and Bouchard) ... CAR finally got it done after more then a decade (ARI is still trying to make it work lol, what a garbage team they still are!)... can see why vet teams re-tool until it's no longer plausible these days, because paying the piper is no quick or easy thing, and given how many cups CHI and PIT won ... well drafting near the top (1-4) has a lot of appeal but for sure also isn't a sure thing (EDM-BUFF)... we are lucky to have one of the best young cores in the league - it usually doesn't work out that way.   As far as placeholders go that's a different subject ... anyone nervous about losing Sutter yet though (lol...I am)...

Edit:  In case you struggle with arithmetic ... over a ten year period with 30 or so teams... and JB has a chance at 4/10.    Just another way to point out to those foolish folks that still hang onto this futile idea that JB drafting isn't very good ... because JV and OJ didnt meet expectations.  

I think we have enough of a body of work to  render a verdict on JV.  He's a major disappointment, not because he lacks size or skill, but because he lacks drive.  I would disagree on OJ.  Due his injury history, the jury is still out .  I think he's looked remarkably good, confident, intelligent, and dependable when he's had a chance to play.  He looks like a cornerstone piece over the next four or five years.  He will likely replace Edler as a big minutes eater as a top-4 Dman with lots of PK time.  

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yes, they absolutely will target it. Especially when you play the same team several games in a row.

100% this.  When other teams learned that Bobby Orr had bad knees, they specifically targeted his knees, and sadly shortened the career what I think was the best player to ever lace up a pair of skates.  If teams learn that EP has a wrist injury, how many more slashes will he suffer on that wrist?  A back injury?  They'll cross-check him into the middle of next week.  I'd say there are lots of dirty players in the NHL, like Kadri, who would purposely injure EP if he could.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I think we have enough of a body of work to  render a verdict on JV.  He's a major disappointment, not because he lacks size or skill, but because he lacks drive.  I would disagree on OJ.  Due his injury history, the jury is still out .  I think he's looked remarkably good, confident, intelligent, and dependable when he's had a chance to play.  He looks like a cornerstone piece over the next four or five years.  He will likely replace Edler as a big minutes eater as a top-4 Dman with lots of PK time.  

I'm not saying JV or OJ are busts - just that they were disappointing ... which is undeniable.   I'm actually a fan of both, JV might not have a career after this contract if he doesn't figure it out... but by then he's right at where the scouts hope they get from a 6th overall as far as games played as a minimum.   OJ could go on and still play 1000 games in this league- jury for sure is still out there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I agree. I'm curious. Is Juolevi eligible for this upcoming expansion draft? If so, maybe that's why he hasnt been getting game time that he deserves. 

I'm pretty sure he's not exempt, he needs twelve more games played the meet exposure requirements though if capfriendly is to be believed

The only D we currently have signed through next season who are eligible to be exposed are Schmidt and Myers

At least that's my understanding, the whole draft bit is a pain in the ass 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm pretty sure he's not exempt, he needs twelve more games played the meet exposure requirements though if capfriendly is to be believed

The only D we currently have signed through next season who are eligible to be exposed are Schmidt and Myers

At least that's my understanding, the whole draft bit is a pain in the ass 

So there are two different lists of requirements.

1) Who is eligable to be selected (and the team must use a protection slot on if they wish to keep them). And

2) Minimum exposure requirements. Each team must leave a minimum number of "veterans" exposed. Each team must leave 2 forwards and 1 D who meet these games played requirements exposed

Joulevi meets the 1) criteria and must be protected if we don't want Seattle to be able to take him. But he needs more games played to meet the 2) requirements for an exposed veteran D man.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

So no Pettersson, no Pearson, what about Beagle?

Michaelis back on taxi squad

Lineup something like:

Pearson Hoglander Horvat Virtanen

Vesey Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hawryluk Michaelis Sutter Motte

Roussel Beagle Gaudette MacEwen

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Benn Myers

Demko (Holtby)

Edited by BigTramFan