The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

not at all, but are you telling me the game isn't better with a physical aspect?  Part of the beauty of the game is using a physical component to impose your will on the other team.  In that game, not just anyone can be great, you earn it.

I oppose the league always imposing mixed-messaging to their players. 

I love the IIHF model for the game, and they way they vett & assign officials to work & keep order in their games. Stellar intensity, yet the retaliatory crap is unnecessary. 

The “Mark Messier” leadership Award, subconsciously exalts an old-school style of play (head-hunting, elbowing, flying hip-checking - in a sense cheating just don’t get caught) in the modern era, despite union brothers wanting security, safety, & long term health & careers for themselves & their families.

When the best athletes no longer chose to play hockey in Canada, because of the “old-school & self-policing” culture & long-term risks to physical & mental health,..every league in North America finally woke-up & knew they had a problem.

Integrity, honour, toughness, strategy teamwork, speed, skill & endurance are the staples of the game, but leave the majority of policing to the officials & train-up officials (along with  available technology) to get the calls right, especially after on-ice injury.

Hitting is fine, but targeting or trying to take-out the game’s superstars, crosses the line into Claude Lemieux, Mark Messier territory, despicable players, very revered in their time & apparently still,  by those who refuse to progress and want the “Madd Max” mentality back. 

Edited by viking mama