The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If the core is "fine" to you, does that mean Benning deserves credit for that? Oh wait. This is another Jim Benning bashing post.

My biggest beef with Benning is having these two coaches run behind the bench for as long as they have. I agree with you actually that the team is better than what the record shows.

Why the EFF is Roussel in the lineup? And Hughes just has those pizza deliveries this game. What's going on?

that's the problem, the team isn't better than it shows. with 13m in dead cap space you think were better than a .500 team? next year is going to be even worse, are you ready to being a bottom 5 team next year?

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1

So glad this team gets some time off. it gives us all a break :frantic:

To the people who are criticizing green, go look at the line up he has been given to try and win a NHL hockey game. Go find me a coach who can win with this team.

spoiler alert: ain’t gonna find one

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If the core is "fine" to you, does that mean Benning deserves credit for that? Oh wait. This is another Jim Benning bashing post.

My biggest beef with Benning is having these two coaches run behind the bench for as long as they have. I agree with you actually that the team is better than what the record shows.

Why the EFF is Roussel in the lineup? And Hughes just has those pizza deliveries this game. What's going on?

Yeah, sure.  I guess we'll also credit Craig MacTavish and Peter Chiarelli for putting together the core in Edmonton too?

We've had this discussion before.  We can remove Green and potentially find an upgrade somewhere but we can't just simply convince ourselves that this roster would somehow be a playoff team.  There's obvious holes (some created during this past off-season) and a whole lot of junk that needs to go.  That falls on general management.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, billabong said:

So glad this team gets some time off. it gives us all a break :frantic:

To the people who are criticizing green, go look at the line up he has been given to try and win a NHL hockey game. Go find me a coach who can win with this team.

spoiler alert: ain’t gonna find one

This, mind boggling some think beating the Jets 2 games in a row is doable with the lineup as is 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s time to move on if you can’t enjoy some of the good times. Why do it to yourself?

I think my point is clear, though.

In the past 10 years, the state of the team hasn't been pretty.  That falls on Gillis, that falls on Benning, and it most certainly falls on ownership for overseeing this all.

• Cheers 1

No

puck

luck

however... we scored on Hellebuyck. TSN turning point in the season. That plus a week of rest and we are good to go.

Sucks to lose these crucial games, wasnt for a lack of effort imho. 
The canucks had countless chances in the scrambles, had countless dingers and only 1 twine twinkler. The boys were bangin and crashin, grindin and givin’er.... but just no finisher....

Im not giving up hope, I realize we need the stars to align, but our schedule is going to loosen up. We are gunna be more and more rested for games, gunna get some healthy bodies back.
Sure Montreal has 6 games at hand.. but thats not necessarily a good thing for them....

1) they have their next 3 games postponed

2) the season must be completed by May 8th. 

3) Montreal has to make up for 6 games ontop of the postponed games. Montreal is going to have the most condensed games to end a season. Fatigue and injury will play into effect.

We need some f***in rest. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Let's face it... After these 2 losses to the Jets, our playoff hopes are virtually gone!! When can we get Podz here to play???  Early May? 

Not till next season I believe 

11 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

that's the problem, the team isn't better than it shows. with 13m in dead cap space you think were better than a .500 team? next year is going to be even worse, are you ready fo being a bottom 5 team next year?

I dunno we’ll see what happens if Podz comes in we look pretty good imo just need to structure D 

Edited by Cromeslab

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True enough, but isn't the most difficult thing to build the core?  How do you acquire top elite talent unless you draft them?  Isn't that what Benning has done?  Isn't it alot easier to build around the core than to actually acquire it?  If so, why not give Benning some more leeway to build around HIS core?  Why have another GM do it?  Also, the final pieces of the puzzle will mainly come from additional draft picks that aren't in the lineup yet.  Podkolzin, Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Di Pietro.  That's another 30% of the future team right there.

The only thing that needs tweaking are a couple big pieces like a partner for Hughes and a 3C.  Most everything else is already in place.  Guys like Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, Eriksson, etc., there were circumstances to add them at the time.  Sutter had never been injured before he got to Vancouver, Beagle was a 4C on a Stanley Champion, Roussel was actually a good player at the time he was signed and Eriksson was coming off a 30 goal season.  Hindsight is 20/20.  But at the time of those deals, they weren't all that bad.  Plus Aquilini wanted a retool on the fly and wanted the Sedins to get one last shot at a Cup.  So Benning accommodated his request and Linden was fired because he wanted a full rebuild.

Benning is contracted for another two years.  The chances of him being fired right now are about zero.  The coaching staff is as good as gone.  So this is what we are left with.  Let's see what Benning does in the offseason.  I am not opposed to him getting fired if we have to deal with being a lottery team for the next 2 years.  Obviously Benning has to do something to get this team to the playoffs next year or else his job is on the line like everyone else.

at some point all leaders must go, they develop blinders to thier shortcomings. It's the same reason why the vast majority of drivers think they are better than the average driver.

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't Benning the one who built this core?  If so, are you suggesting a new GM comes in and trades everybody?  I mean if the core sucks like you say that is what should happen right?

Benning has built a mediocre team and shown an inability to surround it with the right pieces . He sucks . 

6 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

No

puck

luck

however... we scored on Hellebuyck. TSN turning point in the season. That plus a week of rest and we are good to go.

Sucks to lose these crucial games, wasnt for a lack of effort imho. 
The canucks had countless chances in the scrambles, had countless dingers and only 1 twine twinkler. The boys were bangin and crashin, grindin and givin’er.... but just no finisher....

Im not giving up hope, I realize we need the stars to align, but our schedule is going to loosen up. We are gunna be more and more rested for games, gunna get some healthy bodies back.
Sure Montreal has 6 games at hand.. but thats not necessarily a good thing for them....

1) they have their next 3 games postponed

2) the season must be completed by May 8th. 

3) Montreal has to make up for 6 games ontop of the postponed games. Montreal is going to have the most condensed games to end a season. Fatigue and injury will play into effect.

We need some f***in rest. 

canucks will have to win 15 out of 19, and mtl would still need to play worse than 500 hockey. I said it before, the canucks are more likely to finish last then make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True enough, but isn't the most difficult thing to build the core?  How do you acquire top elite talent unless you draft them?  Isn't that what Benning has done?  Isn't it alot easier to build around the core than to actually acquire it?  If so, why not give Benning some more leeway to build around HIS core?  Why have another GM do it?  Also, the final pieces of the puzzle will mainly come from additional draft picks that aren't in the lineup yet.  Podkolzin, Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Di Pietro.  That's another 30% of the future team right there.

The only thing that needs tweaking are a couple big pieces like a partner for Hughes and a 3C.  Most everything else is already in place.  Guys like Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, Eriksson, etc., there were circumstances to add them at the time.  Sutter had never been injured before he got to Vancouver, Beagle was a 4C on a Stanley Champion, Roussel was actually a good player at the time he was signed and Eriksson was coming off a 30 goal season.  Hindsight is 20/20.  But at the time of those deals, they weren't all that bad.  Plus Aquilini wanted a retool on the fly and wanted the Sedins to get one last shot at a Cup.  So Benning accommodated his request and Linden was fired because he wanted a full rebuild.

Benning is contracted for another two years.  The chances of him being fired right now are about zero.  The coaching staff is as good as gone.  So this is what we are left with.  Let's see what Benning does in the offseason.  I am not opposed to him getting fired if we have to deal with being a lottery team for the next 2 years.  Obviously Benning has to do something to get this team to the playoffs next year or else his job is on the line like everyone else.

This sounds like my teenage daughter explaining 1000 reasons why her room is a mess. 

There is absolutely no argument here. All of Bennings contracts you’re defending were scrutinized to the bone. it’s not like the hockey world was like “what? Can you believe the Amazing GMing going on in Vancouver?!?.” 

Pretty much every time a fast skating non playmaking forward got their first grey hair Benning started licking his chops and slicking back his jet black hair. His internal instinct was too much to ignore. Linden, Brackett, Gilman all tried to stop him but his craving for 27 year old UFAs is unstoppable. He probably sits in a warm bath tonight surrounded by candles listing to Depeche Mode imagining the new meat he will stalk and prey on July 1st with his new cap space. 

9 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I think my point is clear, though.

In the past 10 years, the state of the team hasn't been pretty.  That falls on Gillis, that falls on Benning, and it most certainly falls on ownership for overseeing this all.

Ideally we should have started the rebuild 7 years ago not 3 or 4 but there were circumstances and we took a different route. I don’t blame Benning for that. We don’t have much for awards but the franchise has pride and Sedins were part of that. I was excited for this year too and thought we had more to show then we’ve shown (I’m still gonna Homer to the end) but as soon as people realize how close we are to getting to that next level the better. 

It funny cause the playoffs last year got a lot of people excited my self included but for some it wouldn’t have mattered if they didn’t do what they did last year. We are still having the same discussion. This year doesn’t take away that step our young core took last year, we just have to take another one even if circumstances made us a take a half a step back. 

I remember someone made a thread last off-season about this very thing. I agreed but my hopefulness got the better of me that we would be even better then last year