The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t have strong feelings either way on Aquilini but for those who do, they would do well to remember that at worst he is only the third worst owner in Canucks history. Off the top of my head there is Scallen who went to jail and Macaw who threatened to move the team.

If only the Griffiths had Aquilini money 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

While DiPietro isn’t getting games he has an excellent goaltending tandem and Ian Clarke to work with and learn from. While not an ideal situation declaring it a black mark is a tad dramatic imo. 

Picture this: Markstrom goes to Calgary, JB doesn’t sign Holtby, and Demko struggles early as young goalies often do when becoming the starter.

“Pfffft, JB what freakin idjut GM doesn’t sign a veteran goalie.”

I can  hear it now.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Over a year without a competitive game for no actual logical reason is not overly dramatic. Its a mind bogglingly stupid development approach.

Being a 3rd string practice goalie is nowhere near good enough. Playing actual games is critical to goalie development.

He will get a wealth of knowledge from a Vezina winning pro and top goalie coach and he will get games in Utica next season. It is making the best we can now out of a crap situation. 

He is still at least 2 years away minimum he’ll get those games over the next two years and we’ll likely sign an inexpensive back up after Holtby’s deal to hold the fort for a year or two until DiPietro is ready. 

If the current situation carries to next year he will likely play in the A and not carry over another year with him on the taxi squad. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He will get a wealth of knowledge from a Vezina winning pro and top goalie coach and he will get games in Utica next season. It is making the best we can now out of a crap situation. 

He is still at least 2 years away minimum he’ll get those games over the next two years and we’ll likely sign an inexpensive back up after Holtby’s deal to hold the fort for a year or two until DiPietro is ready. 

If the current situation carries to next year he will likely play in the A and not carry over another year with him on the taxi squad. 

I'm sure Clark is able to judge what would be best for his development given his track record.  Not at all worried.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The Islanders are 1st in their division and we’re in year 4 of a rebuild. ;)

At the time of the signings, the Islanders had just lost Tavares after missing the playoffs -- that definitely wasn't a team expected to be good in 18-19 and he would've come here if we outbid them on AAV or maybe even added an extra year to the deal. Then we wouldn't have been as cap-strapped for years that we should be competing in.

If Benning desperately wanted his "cup champ mentor" in the 2018 offseason, then signing Filppula or Kunitz is what he should've done.

There's a ton of those guys you can acquire cheaply or more efficiently than Beagle.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, Josepho said:

At the time of the signings, the Islanders had just lost Tavares after missing the playoffs -- that definitely wasn't a team expected to be good in 18-19 and he would've come here if we outbid them on AAV or maybe even added an extra year to the deal. Then we wouldn't have been as cap-strapped for years that we should be competing in.

If Benning desperately wanted his "cup champ mentor" in the 2018 offseason, then signing Filppula or Kunitz is what he should've done.

There's a ton of those guys you can acquire cheaply or more efficiently than Beagle.

I prefer Beagle myself even at the cap hit I would have preferred one less year but really have no issue with Beagle at all. 

If anything I would find a new home for Roussel. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Benning already had a cost controlled Stanley cup winning 4th line center in Brad Richardson when he inherited the team. Then decided to let him walk for nothing. 

I'd also much prefer Nick Dowd ($700k), the 4th liner center that Washington swapped with us for Beagle at a third of the cost.... 

20 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Dude look at all the dead cap. Being a gm is more than just drafting, hes terrible with asset management and contracts and cap management.

The bad outweighs the good.

Fire Benning.

You can't be a carpenter who is really good at cutting but can't build anything plumb level or square.

Jimbo is gonzo

This.  Exactly.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Again, based on what factual evidence?

Winning seasons? Playoff success? Cap management? Incremental improvement year to year? Trading? Free agent signings? 

Hard no to all of those.

I would say there might be 4 or 5 worse GM's at most currently in the NHL. My personal feeling is there are probably 3. 

Young fools in spring. 

41 minutes ago, xereau said:

LTIR is LTIR, and I'm pretty sure that's the only way teams look at it.

In fact, if you look back at all the cup winners minus St. Louis, and contenders, for the last decade, have been playing LTIR games all season.

This way you have a built in expanded roster when the playoffs come around.

I fully believe that this was the actual intent behind the signing. Win Win either way for the team, where he plays, or his contract comes off the cap.

I guess

But I don't know, like I said before

Everybody else dropped out...that says something

and LTIR does hurt you, it is not free, it hand cuffs you

but you could be right............that may have been his thinking

Which, I disagree with (but he's the man, so I loose. LOL)

But I would not have done it

I can't imagine Aquaman would be real happy giving up 3.5

It is still money?????? And it's not 1 year either

and that risk was there from the start, it 10.5 million

think about that for a second....lol

26 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Lol... the best GM in Canucks history and these clowns want to fire him. 
Good cooking takes time. B)
Not to mention ownership. 

WWWWWWwwwwwhoa! There! LOL

"The Best" ? Pretty lofty praise!

But ok! I have always respected your opinion.

Mine differs in this case, but ok!

I do think he has incredible drafting talent 

The strongest we have ever had.

IMO, Quinn is.......but maybe he's not your cup of tea

So, I am good with it all

But as a builder goes, I think it is Quinn, hands down

(just had to put that in. lol)

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

WWWWWWwwwwwhoa! There! LOL

"The Best" ? Pretty lofty praise!

But ok! I have always respected your opinion.

Mine differs in this case, but ok!

I do think he has incredible drafting talent 

The strongest we have ever had.

IMO, Quinn is.......but maybe he's not your cup of tea

So, I am good with it all

But as a builder goes, I think it is Quinn, hands down

(just had to put that in. lol)

Quinn then Jim then Gillis for me. All had their strengths and flaws 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Lmao now that is a spin. He was willing to stay in Vancouver, wanted to as well, Team mates wanted him back. He was not destined to go to the habs. In the end he couldn't wait any longer and thus the gem from Jimbo " Ran out of time"

Also that's his Toronto minor hockey team jersey, it has nothing to do with him being a habs fan

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

A lot of options, most of which I agree. Curious why you want to move Motte? IMHO he makes a huge dif to the bottom 6 when he is in the lineup. 

i like him but if someone offered a good pick i wouldnt be againat trading him i like him as a player hard working   hes still young  i guess it depends on what teams offered id trade him for a late 1st but otherwise hes worthto keep 

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Picture this: Markstrom goes to Calgary, JB doesn’t sign Holtby, and Demko struggles early as young goalies often do when becoming the starter.

I can  hear it now.

Yeah, the whambulance crowds are only able to create a narrative with hindsight and without it - crickets ....

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i like him but if someone offered a good pick i wouldnt be againat trading him i like him as a player hard working   hes still young  i guess it depends on what teams offered id trade him for a late 1st but otherwise hes worthto keep 

Yeah, if the right trade comes why not cause all players are obviously going to decrease in value & performance as they age...  With so much uncertainties, if I was JB I would be very hesitant to be trading or signing any high ticket 30+ vets and instead I would stick with drafting & development; luckily, we have a GM that does latter well.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I can  hear it now.

I wouldnt have said that. I would have said to give Demko some time to figure things out and sign a cheap veteran backup to help. Key word is cheap.

Signing a veteran backup and signing a big money starter are two different things.

Goaltending has not been a significant Canuck problem since Luongo went to Vancouver. The team playing like crap in front of them and not having adequate secondary scoring sure have though.

Edited by wallstreetamigo