The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

8 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Don't look now, Gaudette's getting a shot playing on the top line with Pat Kane and Dylan Strome.  

I'm happy for Gaudette getting a bit of a look in the top 6 there. Should have happened here.

And before anyone didplays their ignorance by saying since he is a right handed shot his only possible positions would be C or RW and his path there was blocked, try to remember that moving from one wing to the other is by far the easiest positional transition in hockey. Players literally do it all the time. And Gaudette has been used on both wings in CHI btw.

Would he have really been worse offensively with Miller and Boeser than Vesey, Highmore, MacEwan, Motte, and whoever else Green has put there?

I honestly dont think so.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Gaudette isn't a 3rd C. He isn't playing C in Chicago. He's been a RW and that's all he'll ever be.

Ideally we would have kept Tanev over Toffoli for Hughes.

I wanted JB to keep both Tanev and Toffoli. It would've meant not resigning Jake and missing out on Schmidt (not enough cap space) though. Would've let Virtanen and Stecher walk, and signed a tough, cheapish 3RD such as Gudas. I would've targeted a cheaper backup goalie than Holtby, but even at $4.3m he was affordable. Roster would have been:

My Canucks 2020.JPG

Just now, BigTramFan said:

I wanted JB to keep both Tanev and Toffoli. It would've meant not resigning Jake and missing out on Schmidt (not enough cap space) though. Would've let Virtanen and Stecher walk, and signed a tough, cheapish 3RD such as Gudas. I would've targeted a cheaper backup goalie than Holtby, but even at $4.3m he was affordable. Roster would have been:

My Canucks 2020.JPG

Personally I would have kept Tanev just for Hughes. Hamonic is alright but not as good as Tanev. I like Schmidt but we don't have a proper D-partner for him or Hughes. Schmidt has looked a lot more like himself this last half of the year, definitely way better than that god awful first month. Schmidt was money with a physical stay-at-home Dman like McNabb in Vegas because both of their strengths made up for each other's weaknesses. I would have let go of Edler after this year. Edler has had a down year and has brought down Schmidt's play IMO.

Myers has had a better season with the puck and offensively, he's actually has been making breakout passes well and has had better hands. Still overpaid by a bit though(Would be good at 4.5M). Myers is a good #4 but isn't the best of fit with either Schmidt or Hughes so I probably would have exposed him at the expansion draft.

Overall I like some pieces we have on D but we need better pieces(better fits) around them.

Most of our better prospects are wingers, hence why I would be okay not re-signing Toffoli even though it would definitely suck in the short-term. However if there was a way to sign Toffoli/Tanev and trade for Schmidt I would do that in a heartbeat but that would require a trade or two(Benn/Roussel/Sutter/etc).

4 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Ok cowboy you must love the flames method spend the big cash on guys and miss the playoffs by a mile ..text book cow lover 

At least Calgary paid top dollar for actual top players not bottom 6 aging scrubs like Benning. Neither Markstrom nor Tanev have been the Flames problem this year. 

• RoughGame 1

Just imagine:

Hoglander-Pettersen-Boeser

Toffoli-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Miller-Gaudette

Motte-Sutter-Lind

MacEwan

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone

Get rid of Eriksson, Beagle, Baertschi, Roussel, and Edler and actually properly manage the lines and it was easily possible.

3 lines that can score in waves and play a puck possession game while being solid defensively and a balanced 4th line that can chip in with occasional offense and take some shut down minutes. Those are 4 rollable lines against most teams in the NHL imo.

3 balanced defense pairings with a defensive balance to its offensive player. It allows Hughes to play his game and utilizes Schmidt peoperly which would turn him into a 3rd top pairing quality guy.

Compare that with what Benning has built while throwing away Gaudette, Toffoli, and Tryamkin to sign Virtanen and chase OEL.

If this doesnt convince you he sucks $&!# at his job, you might be a Benning homer.

EDIT: all sorts of ways you can configure this lineup. 

Throw Gaudette with EP and Boeser and put Hoglander with Miller and Pearson. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

At least Calgary paid top dollar for actual top players not bottom 6 aging scrubs like Benning. Neither Markstrom nor Tanev have been the Flames problem this year. 

They sure as hell aren't the solution, either, contrary to what people like you were saying during the off season.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Nucksownyou said:

They sure as hell aren't the solution, either, contrary to what people like you were saying during the off season.

I never said anything about them in the offseason as far as I remember. 

Toffoli sure as &^@# was a solution for Montreal. Stecher was a solution for Detroit. And actually, looking at their previous goaltending, Markstrom is a far better solution for Calgary. Replacing Hamonic or Brodie with Tanev is a pretty reasonable solution too.

The difference is they dont have something like 25 million in dead cap.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I never said anything about them in the offseason as far as I remember. 

Toffoli sure as &^@# was a solution for Montreal. Stecher was a solution for Detroit. And actually, looking at their previous goaltending, Markstrom is a far better solution for Calgary. Replacing Hamonic or Brodie with Tanev is a pretty reasonable solution too.

The difference is they dont have something like 25 million in dead cap.

Seriously? Stetcher is the solution in Detroit? What a garbage take. There team is crap, and he isn't performing above expectations or anything. He is playing as a serviceable defenseman on a bottom feeder, nothing more.

No, Markstrom isn't a solution for Calgary, either. He isn't stealing them games, and no, he isn't doing that much better the Rittich. Their goaltending wasn't their main issue as some people like to claim. Their team is crap and not any better than us, despite the cap space. Try again.

The only one you got right is Toffoli.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Get rid of Eriksson, Beagle, Baertschi, Roussel, and Edler and actually properly manage the lines and it was easily possible.

You are deluded if you think it was easily possible to get rid of these players and their contracts :lol:

Why don't you break down how that could have been achieved?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

You are deluded if you think it was easily possible to get rid of these players and their contracts :lol:

Why don't you break down how that could have been achieved?

The thing is this is a problem Jim Benning actually has and he hasn't been able to solve this problem as well. Yet he is the one that signed those contracts and as a GM if you offer those contracts you need to anticipate the possibility of having to get rid of them in the future. 

Toronto did with Marleau and sure it costs them a 1st but it was still worth it to keep their core. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah the issue is not about chosing between Toffoli and defense. It's about asset management, something Benning hasn't done well.

I don’t come onto this site as often as before.

Yet, without missing a beat, reading the first post I end up on, it is always a depressing, negative, attack on Jim Benning.

May you and your kind, understand one day, the uselessness of your existence, and hopefully do something about it.

But in the same fashion as this post, I don’t think you’re gonna make that change in your ethics, nor your way of life.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I don’t come onto this site as often as before.

Yet, without missing a beat, reading the first post I end up on, it is always a depressing, negative, attack on Jim Benning.

May you and your kind, understand one day, the uselessness of your existence, and hopefully do something about it.

But in the same fashion as this post, I don’t think you’re gonna make that change in your ethics, nor your way of life.

Did I offend your beliefs or religion or something? :wacko:

19 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Did I offend your beliefs or religion or something? :wacko:

Nah. You and others just make the experience of coming to this site, a total downer.

Most Canucks fans love life, their team and this site. But we have to go through pages and pages of negative reinforcement on repeat.

As the old adage goes: Say what you need to say, say it with all your heart, and the sit down.

The last two words are the most important.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I understand the frustration of some after a trade like this. I am with you on it. It's spurred into a different discussion and I mean, all we have to do is wait out these horrible contracts in the bottom six. Perhaps it would be wise at that point to let someone else take this team forwards. 

10 hours ago, Azzy said:

Matthew Highmore has now played 9 games without scoring either a goal or an assist. For context, in the entire history of the Canucks franchise, these are the only forwards to have played more than 9 games for the team without registering a point:

While disappointing, it's a small sample size. I generally don't mind the way Highmore plays, actually.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

James Neal and Milan Lucic say hi

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Seriously? Stetcher is the solution in Detroit? What a garbage take. There team is crap, and he isn't performing above expectations or anything. He is playing as a serviceable defenseman on a bottom feeder, nothing more.

No, Markstrom isn't a solution for Calgary, either. He isn't stealing them games, and no, he isn't doing that much better the Rittich. Their goaltending wasn't their main issue as some people like to claim. Their team is crap and not any better than us, despite the cap space. Try again.

The only one you got right is Toffoli.

Stecher has arguably been their best overall dman this year. And he has seemingly suddenly been able to put it all together and played above what the Canucks thought he was. Its almost like the Canucks have no clue how to know what they actually have.

Calgary has their problems but like the Canucks they need a new GM.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

While disappointing, it's a small sample size. I generally don't mind the way Highmore plays, actually.

I wouldn't care much if it stayed that way the ENTIRE season if he played strictly on the 4th line.  Looks like he got SOME time there in the top 6 with whatever Green was able to scrape together with the healthy bodies left.  That should end especially if it meant a guy like Lind loses those shifts.  Highmore is as inept offensively as Gaudette was defensively.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1