The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Highmore | #15 | LW/C

-AJ-

11 minutes ago, combover said:

Highmore is the definition of easy to play against 

Disagree, Highmore has good speed, average size, engages physically and is a tenacious checker.   He seems like an obvious 4th line checker to me quite unlike the tweener, where would you play him, player he was traded for.  Will be interesting to see how he does playing for The Bruce.  

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Disagree, Highmore has good speed, average size, engages physically and is a tenacious checker.   He seems like an obvious 4th line checker to me quite unlike the tweener, where would you play him, player he was traded for.  Will be interesting to see how he does playing for The Bruce.  

Only time I notice highmore is when he’s picking himself up off the ice since he got knocked down or fell down over and over. 
just another g grade bottom of the barrel forward just like mega chaput. A Dime a dozen just like doweling. 
I haven’t missed him and I won’t when he’s waived and nobody claims him. 

1 hour ago, combover said:

Only time I notice highmore is when he’s picking himself up off the ice since he got knocked down or fell down over and over. 
just another g grade bottom of the barrel forward just like mega chaput. A Dime a dozen just like doweling. 
I haven’t missed him and I won’t when he’s waived and nobody claims him. 

You have to move on, Jim Benning is no longer our GM and if you're going to hate every player that he's acquired it's going to be a difficult road for you.  

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Matthew Joseph is a dirtier version of Motte and Highmore but built in the same way.  

Hey I would've loved to pull a Lucic for Er-kson swap three years ago when Eri-son blocked the trade and Lucic ended up in Calgary. We absolutely need one forward that can drop the gloves so that we aren't relying on Schenn only to keep the other team honest. 

Interesting you bring up Joseph, as it would appear Highmore and Joseph were linemates in St John

Highmore out scored Joseph in the regular season and Joseph outscored Highmore in the playoffs

Joseph has 65 points in 191 games while Highmore and Motte have 68 in 326 combined

I think I'd rather one Joseph over either or both of Motte and /or Highmore

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You have to move on, Jim Benning is no longer our GM and if you're going to hate every player that he's acquired it's going to be a difficult road for you.  

I’m not a fan of an ineffective Ahler I could careless who brought him here  hes a dime a dozen easy to play against depth call up on his best day. 
he isn’t hasn’t and won’t be missed. 

move on lol I’m not the one defending a ahl plug Just because of who acquired him. 
i couldn’t be  happier that Jim B gone now we just have to get rid of some of his trash Highmore is one of them. 
Doweling  chiasson are a couple others 

find some hard hitting checking 4th liners instead of the the I can’t believe they aren’t butter  bunch.

Edited by combover

4 hours ago, lmm said:

Interesting you bring up Joseph, as it would appear Highmore and Joseph were linemates in St John

Highmore out scored Joseph in the regular season and Joseph outscored Highmore in the playoffs

Joseph has 65 points in 191 games while Highmore and Motte have 68 in 326 combined

I think I'd rather one Joseph over either or both of Motte and /or Highmore

Yes but Joseph is playing on Tampa while Motte and Highmore have been playing on a pretty bad team.  

Alex Killorn and Steven Stamkos have been his most frequent linemates this season, to put it into perspective. 

22 hours ago, lmm said:

I feel this place should have a Bobby Lalonde trophy. Canuck fans fall in love with the little speedy guys like Lalonde, Reid, Shannon, current coach King, Karyia...

Motte, Highmore ,Dorsett while they can't stand the likes of Sestito, Kassian, Virtanen

how many Highmore/Mottes does Tampa employ?

They had Tyler Johnson and then let him go. 

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yes but Joseph is playing on Tampa while Motte and Highmore have been playing on a pretty bad team.  

Alex Killorn and Steven Stamkos have been his most frequent linemates this season, to put it into perspective. 

well then he is not a forth line plug, so not a very good comparison at all.

part of the reason Vancouver has been a bad team is because players like Highmore are playing and not producing

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

They had Tyler Johnson and then let him go. 

yes but at 23 YO Johnson scored 50points , then followed it up with 5 more good seasons

Johnson is more comparable to the Angry Gnome or Hoglander and one might ask how many of those players do we need?

there is the old adage about building your team from the goal out, the Canucks were built from small speedy forwards back

at this point were are so stocked full of small speedies we need not draft another for 5 years

• Cheers 1

I'm looking forward to having Highmore back in the lineup.

Seeing how Bruce's system works in the last 7 games, he likes players who will get their nose dirty, battle, be aggressive through using speed and skating, and just being in the right spots to take the puck away or make plays. I like Highmore when he is in a sheltered role but provides a lot of worth defensively and on the forecheck. He isn't a bruiser as perhaps some would like him to be, but to discount a player just because they aren't this brute of a player seems short sighted and narrow minded.

We have seen that small players can be just as effective as big players because of their smarts and ability to play to their role. Highmore has shown he has the smarts to play a sheltered checking/energy role. He basically is a carbon copy of Motte, just cheaper and less established than Motte. 

Having him flank on the PK and reserved for key defensive moments along with Motte would be great to have. Sort of done with looking for prototypical 90's and early 2000's meat heads who can't play the game. Size is always a desired trait, but I will take the fight in the dog over the actual size of the dog any day. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/30/2021 at 8:16 AM, lmm said:

well then he is not a forth line plug, so not a very good comparison at all.

part of the reason Vancouver has been a bad team is because players like Highmore are playing and not producing

I don't think he will stay there now that Brayden Point and Kucherov are coming back but we will see.  

It's been good to see Highmore back. He keeps putting himself in good positions to score and is great on the forecheck. 

Boudreau praised him quite a bit after last night's game. 

Actually, I'd like to hear a little more love for Highmore and Motte together. We already know what Motte is about, but I believe Highmore can be that same presence. With a solid, buzzsaw centre (Dowling?) that line would be awesome as a fourth line energy, forechecking line. I like Chiasson and respect his effort and commitment but he's a full step slower that he needs to be to play in the NHL, and his puck handling is......unhelpful. His only redeeming quality is a net front presence on the power play where he is big enough to absorb most of the abuse from defencemen. I'd rather have Chiasson taking that than Petey or Bo. In any event, Chaisson will be gone soon enough, and if he isn't good enough to play, he won't play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, Curmudgeon said:

Actually, I'd like to hear a little more love for Highmore and Motte together. We already know what Motte is about, but I believe Highmore can be that same presence. With a solid, buzzsaw centre (Dowling?) that line would be awesome as a fourth line energy, forechecking line. I like Chiasson and respect his effort and commitment but he's a full step slower that he needs to be to play in the NHL, and his puck handling is......unhelpful. His only redeeming quality is a net front presence on the power play where he is big enough to absorb most of the abuse from defencemen. I'd rather have Chiasson taking that than Petey or Bo. In any event, Chaisson will be gone soon enough, and if he isn't good enough to play, he won't play.

Highmore and Motte are great together!  

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nice compliment from Highmore’s agent:

I'd love to see us sign him to a three year 1.25 mil extension (maximum amount that can be buried in the minors). 

Really wish that we had done the same with Motte instead of the two year deal. 

Highmore for Gaudette- another good trade...

highmore, Motte, Lammiko, - looks like decent pro scouting to identify these guys.

I do think that Motte and highmore are pretty decent 4th liners, maybe need a better centre? but lammiko played 15 min last night, BB calls his line the 3rd line and had 91% FO

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

highmore, Motte, Lammiko, - looks like decent pro scouting to identify these guys.

I do think that Motte and highmore are pretty decent 4th liners, maybe need a better centre? but lammiko played 15 min last night, BB calls his line the 3rd line and had 91% FO

Guys like Highmore (Lammiko and Motte) understand and accept their roles, and how they need to play, to be NHL players.  A guy like Gaudette doesn't.  

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

But I thought our pro scouting sucked...:bigblush:

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guys like Highmore (Lammiko and Motte) understand and accept their roles, and how they need to play, to be NHL players.  A guy like Gaudette doesn't.  

Gaudette is a tweener. 

But I agree that players like him either accept a bottom six role and change their style of game, and role, or they’re essentially out of the league inevitably.