The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 20, 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

No, I don't think it will either. those guys play hard every night,  think they're going to be really good in a couple of years if they keep on the path they're on.

Batherson is one of my favourite players. Stutzle is a stud too. And Tkatchuk is...well..he's better than his brother.

The Sens obviously had a horrific start to their season, which the Canucks contributed to in their first 3 game set, but yes, I agree that the Senators are a much better team than what the standings might show.

As you have pointed out, they have a lot of promise at forward with some of that talent already being in the line-up.  I think Norris is also worth mentioning as a solid young player on their team.  They haven't really sheltered their prospects so they're really learning via trial by fire, so it's a credit to them that by this point of the season, they're genuinely competing in their games instead of being the walkovers that people assumed they would be earlier in the season.

They are still a bit weak on D but Chabot should still be a solid D to lead their blue-line for years to come (he's only 24).  Adding Mete helps them a lot actually as he's probably better than a lot of the guys that they had to start the year and is at an age where he can be a major contributor alongside their other young prospects.  Brannstrom has taken awhile to find some footing at the NHL level but he might be finally making the jump.  Jake Sanderson is probably still at least a couple years away but he should be helpful for their blue-line too.

Goaltending is ultimately the weakest link for the team.  I'm not a believer in Matt Murray and the contract he's signed to will make him difficult to move in the future.  They probably have to hope that Murray can provide at least league average goaltending and that Gustavsson pans out as an above league average goalie in the future.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

No, I don't think it will either. those guys play hard every night,  think they're going to be really good in a couple of years if they keep on the path they're on.

Batherson is one of my favourite players. Stutzle is a stud too. And Tkatchuk is...well..he's better than his brother.

Yeah I like the Sens and agree on the players too. They have the right Tkachuk. I got Batherson in a couple pools. 

Looking forward to them making the Leafs look bad in the next couple years. I mean they already do that to a certain degree 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

And for those asking about Jake playing, ask Nylander.

Yeah, I remember someone in PGT asking for Jake to give the Flamingo Kid a good belt.  So nice to see it come to be, and Jake seemed to enjoy doing it.  Sure be nice to see that more often from him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think we just got a little spoiled with Boeser, Petersson and Hughes.  He won't be top 3 in Calder voting but he is probably the 4th best u20 rookie we've had in the last 20 years.  Petersson, Hughes, and Horvat would be the only ones above him?  Unless I am missing someone?

Edited by Maniwaki Canuck
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Kragar said:

For sure.  you'd think he would have had to give a draft pick, not get one back to dump him

Yea I mean this isn't me bashing but what would Marky have gotten last year?

I guess every year is different and the market changes so you can't compare properly?

But if Big Save Dave gets you a 3rd Marky gets you? 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd? Lol seriously crazy.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, apollo said:

Absolutely loving Hogs... Now we see why Benning put his foot down when Brackett didn't want Hoge :lol:

I see lots of Datsyuk in him - even tho Datsyuk didn't play in the NHL at Nils age... Pavel debut at 22... Had about 35 points in 70 gp but only 6 in 21 playoff games that year. I don't rmemeber him at all from the epic 2002 series when our boys took on Goliath 

Lots of people say Elias comp is Datsyuk... But that makes no sense. All they have in common is both Europeane guys on skinnier side that are highly skilled 

Elias is taller... He's blonde... And Pavel didn't remotely play at Peteys level at this age. 

Heck Hoglander night surpass Datsyuk even given how studly he's already proving to be at 20 years old... 

It's as if whatever king benning touches turns into gold :gocan:

Pavel was also playing behind greats on a stacked lineup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hoglander is a guy who's my size. And has a motor that just doesn't quit. A bad shift for him is a bigger player knocks him off the puck on the attack. But he will work like hell to get the puck back. That kind of work ethic, and drive is just a beautiful thing to watch. I was worried for a bit because you saw the skill is there, the determination was there. The puck luck wasn't. Now the pucks are going in for him. I hope he never loses that fire and drive. I want to see him have a long career here with Vancouver. What I love about him as well is he's fearless. He just goes into high traffic areas, or drive to the net. You can have 3 6'6" monsters in front of him. He will deke, pass, or go through you regardless. All this and he has the typical swede humbleness. I can understand why he's one of the popular Canucks. He should be. Long live Nils! Petey we miss you, recover to 100% and kick ass. 

To me, he might be the closest thing weve had to Burrows.  In terms of character at least.  He doesnt complain, works his tail off every shift, does everything thats asked for him, and plays for his teammates.

36 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Nobody wants to be the team that beats the COVID-ridden Canucks.

We're not losing a game for the rest of the season.  It will be nice.

Did @apollo hack your account? ;)

Man, that would be a sight to see.  That, and then 16 more wins.  If you're gonna dream, dream big, right?

• Haha 3