The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Exhibit A and B for victim blaming. 

@RakuRaku that is a disgusting way to look at it. 

Now that's blown out of proportion man!!!

I did not mean to blame the victim... I was simply saying, you go into a hotel room being mentally prepared as a responsible adult!!!

Do we know all the facts?? Do we know Jake forced S&M on her??? Just be realistic first OK???

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

And I was the asshole for bringing it up. I wouldn’t post something if I knew it was false. 

well you dont know if its true or false yet, but one of them did or are doing some shady sh1t.

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Of course if she made it clear... but guys usually get mixed signals!

Can I be made aware of what these "mixed signals" are? Maybe that's something that needs to be addressed as well. If the other party can understand their side and what sort of signals they are sending out for the other half to think "right on, they want to have sex with me" 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

They are still human, he has been accused of partying in the Okanagan in the summer...I have worked for 7 different NHL players, all of them have partied hard and drank their faces off in the off season. That said, a hung over Brent Seabrook or Ryan Smyth in particular still woke up the next day and put in a hard day of training then went back out on the boat or golf course and partied it up again after. Vern Fiddler was just a prick to work for tho, that guy wanted to be treated like some elite level client when he lived in a suburban home in the Southridge kelowna subdivision...

Its 2021 and social media has ruined this to make it a bigger deal than it is when it comes to partying during the players "off season". Players work and train harder than anyone on here, they should be allowed to hangout  with their friends and party during the summer...but it is on them to still put in the work and most do that

don't get me wrong, I agree completely that it usually gets blown out of proportion. How many times has he come into the season out of shape? That's what I was getting at; I believe it's a problem when it interferes with your career. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Yeah, we call them sex offenders in my neck of the woods.

Let's assume Jake did do wrong...

Why didn't you get to know him better first?? I am NOT defending Jake but i want all of us to see both sides!!!!

One night stands are common and if it ever goes sideways, u gotta know how to protect yourself!!! 

59 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Like I said last night it is natural to be brought up when something like this was trending on Twitter last night. I was with you...

This is very serious stuff. One poster  was calling for you to be banned he was so angry. I had to tell him go for a walk.. 

I knew this was going to blow up today. That's why I posted last night Jake would be sent home today.  

Horrible situation. I am a parent of 17 and 19 year olds. I hope this young lady gets the help she needs and can begin to salvage her life. 

It must have been so hard on her. She went to a help site and posted her story as an anonymous person. It was obviously weighing heavy on her shoulders.  Prayers for the strong young lady and good on her to have the strength to be able to reach out for help. 

Yeah man it was only a matter of time. I don’t want this to be true in the slightest but in today’s day and age we have to take it seriously. Obviously this will go through the proper steps. For now all we can do it’s stand by and watch it all unfold. Cheers mate 

Just so you guys are aware.

The police have been directed to arrest and forward charges of Sex Assault allegations based on the allegation itself. If a complainant states something of the sort had happened and provide a statement, then police have to discretion.

*There is no corroborative evidence required. Police have been told to push these charges through.

This is unlike any other criminal offence where police must have reasonable grounds of evidence. A simple allegation is not enough with everything else. All other situations must have other evidence to support the charge such as video, witnesses, injuries and admission of guilt. 

I understand that they engineered this to protect the “victim” but this is a dangerous application of law. This puts folks through a long and stressful process just based on someone’s word. 

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Now that's blown out of proportion man!!!

I did not mean to blame the victim... I was simply saying, you go into a hotel room being mentally prepared as a responsible adult!!!

Do we know all the facts?? Do we know Jake forced S&M on her??? Just be realistic first OK???

Yeah, you'll never get it. Good luck out there.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I despise the "Why did she wait so long?" angle. Boys and men have been sexually assaulted in churches and schools and did not come forward for decades. Should we shame and blame them as well?

i was nearly a victim and my parents just said i was a smart kid for getting away. i think if i recall I actually bragged to my parents about the situation like i was too smart and too fast. the fact was that a serious thing happened and i was lucky, i was told to just stay away from this guy. it is scary to think what would of happened to me if i obeyed his commands.

I never reported it but i don't know his last name. 

this womans story its some serious PTSD $&!#.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Just so you guys are aware.

The police have been directed to arrest and forward charges of Sex Assault allegations based on the allegation itself. If a complainant states something of the sort had happened and provide a statement, then police have to discretion.

*There is no corroborative evidence required. Police have been told to push these charges through.

This is unlike any other criminal offence where police must have reasonable grounds of evidence. A simple allegation is not enough with everything else. All other situations must have other evidence to support the charge such as video, witnesses, injuries and admission of guilt. 

I understand that they engineered this to protect the “victim” but this is a dangerous application of law. This puts folks through a long and stressful process just based on someone’s word. 

Most don't have someone in the room to witness things.  "Evidence" is hard to come by in these situations (pardon the pun, was not intentional) so they pretty much have to go on a report.  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well it doesn't sound like she needed to scream, she could've just left at many points.  It's tough because now you are victim shaming, but on the other hand Virtanen is also having his name dragged through the mud here.  

Let me say it ONE LAST TIME!! I was not victim blaming....

Look at the Patrick Kane case!!! The allegation was rape!!! And guess what!! It got settled....

Don't just look at one side and assume you know the whole story!!!!

Crap like this could've been avoided if you're smart enough to tell if the guy is normal...and when ur unlucky to get into a messy situation, u report to the police ASAP!!!! Does that sound logical enough?? We are not living in the 40s where no one would listen to women right?????

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

The Glacier Media article says the girl agreed to go to a hotel with him....

So, not to make light of the allegation, what exactly did you have in mind going to a hotel room with a young cute boy? To study Bible? Enjoy a lobster meal via room service? Again, I am against any form of sexual misconduct but you kinda know what's coming... and you could scream for help!

This is such a bad take, and I’m honestly surprised people still think this way in 2021.

Sex requires consent. And that consent can be withdrawn at any time.

Sex without consent is rape.

Going to someone’s hotel room is not giving them consent to have sex.

And you don’t have to scream for help to withdraw consent.

(Not that the alleged victim appears to have ever gave her consent. According to the allegations, she clearly stated, from the start, and repeatedly, that she did not want to have sex with Virtanen, repeatedly said “no” to his coercion and advances, and she even attempted to physically restrain him.)

“She kinda knew what was coming” is not a defence for an allegation of rape.

I wouldn’t have thought it necessary to post this, until reading some of the comments in this thread, but here’s a link to a helpful infographic that explains consent:
https://westernusc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ID5192-Consent-Infographic-V5-1.pdf

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Look at the Patrick Kane case!!! The allegation was rape!!! And guess what!! It got settled....

Crap like this could've been avoided if you're smart enough to tell if the guy is normal...and when ur unlucky to get into a messy situation, u report to the police ASAP!!!! Does that sound logical enough?? We are not living in the 40s where no one would listen to women right?????

The problem with that is that most of the people who do these sort of things, generally come off as "normal" until they are not. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

But you started out questioning the victim before you knew the whole story.

And this:  "crap like this could've been avoided if you're smart enough" falls totally into line with that.

Stop now...we've heard enough.  

We're not living in the 40's ... .you're right.  And women can be attracted to a man, go to his hotel, even kiss him but when she says stop or no, that means stop or no.  Not "well I came here with you so you're entitled to".

You are so off base here and you're just further demonstrating that each time you talk further on it.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

The problem with that is that most of the people who do these sort of things, generally come off as "normal" until they are not. 

I totally agree!!!! That's why both men & women gotta play smart.... and when u get violated, call the cops and get medical evidence collected!!!

What bugs me is, 9 times out of 10, the victims settled for $ and now are we still calling P. Kane a rapist???? Nope! 

5 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I totally agree!!!! That's why both men & women gotta play smart.... and when u get violated, call the cops and get medical evidence collected!!!

What bugs me is, 9 times out of 10, the victims settled for $ and now are we still calling P. Kane a rapist???? Nope! 

:picard:  I quit.  Tagging someone else in.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

:picard:  I quit.  Tagging someone else in.

Don't make someone else waste their time deb

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Most don't have someone in the room to witness things.  "Evidence" is hard to come by in these situations (pardon the pun) so they pretty much have to go on a report.  

I think that’s what makes it kinda tough for the jury or judge, they both can be telling the truth, just their version of the truth and out of that a decision has to be made if he crossed a line or not.

• Cheers 1