The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

not true, the canucks have sufficient reasoning to buy him out with his play this year.

Buying him out is a completely different process than terminating his contract for conduct. 

Legally speaking you need to be able to prove the conduct in order to terminate or you open yourself up to potential legal problems later.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a big misconception about assault cases, people often wait a long time to come forward, the timing isn't evidence of anything either way. 

It takes a long time to pull the blame from oneself and put it where it needs to be placed. Resulting in years of staying quiet. The bigger the name of the person  who did the wrong the harder it will be. I'm impressed it only took a couple years tbh

• Like 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

I despise the "Why did she wait so long?" angle. Boys and men have been sexually assaulted in churches and schools and did not come forward for decades. Should we shame and blame them as well?

Agree totally. The timing of a victim coming forward is not an indication of anything other than it is a &^@#ing terrifying thing to do for most.

• Like 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Buying him out is a completely different process than terminating his contract for conduct. 

I hope Jake is innocent. But I also think we'll never see him play another game in a Canucks jersey. This will be too much for Benning and Aquinii imo, they won't want this anywhere near the team. It may not be fair but thats how this will play out, just my 2 cents. 

It is a really sad situation. Regardless of guilty or not guilty, this will follow Jake forever...

I remember many years ago a girl got murdered in my local area. A middle aged man, who liked to watch the young birds on the beach was being suspected of the murder, however they later they found out it wasn't him. Yet still years later he was being referred to as 'the killer', and he had to sell he's business and move away from the area...

Once you get involved in such allegations, it never goes away.... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope Jake is innocent. But I also think we'll never see him play another game in a Canucks jersey. This will be too much for Benning and Aquinii imo, they won't want this anywhere near the team. It may not be fair but thats how this will play out, just my 2 cents. 

I dont disagree. 

1 minute ago, LionofJudah said:

It takes a long time to pull the blame from oneself and put it where it needs to be placed. Resulting in years of staying quiet. The bigger the name of the person  who did the wrong the harder it will be. I'm impressed it only took a couple years tbh

people get re-victimized coming forward, I don't envy people that have to be put through that. 

We just have to wait now and see how this evolves.

I hate social media...that said if anyone who has done something like this, damn straights you should be held accountable for! But, the problem I see is you can literally not say hello back to someone and they could then make a false accusation against you and post it to social media and have every Tom, Dick and Karen after you calling you all the names in the book WITHOUT knowing a single fact about the incident or supposed incident...

Feel for Jake, would be even worse to be his parents or close family member during this time also...makes me almost want to go see if his dad is still at Jake's house in West Kelowna and apologize for all the nasty comments BEFORE we know if ANY of it is true. Even if they are true, it is NOT the parents fault...Jake is an adult

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I despise the "Why did she wait so long?" angle. Boys and men have been sexually assaulted in churches and schools and did not come forward for decades. Should we shame and blame them as well?

If it happens it today's society because so many others are coming out about it then I think you should divulge it right away not 3.5 years later after reading a similar rumoured story that has transpired...WITHOUT knowing fact from fiction.

59 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Those statements are from different places. I was referring to the original statement from twitter that has since been deleted. She didn't claim to have said "No!!" at the time. According to her own statement, she said "I don't want to have sex!!" several times.

that still means no, but on the other hand inconsistencies in the spoken word is a little concerning, and probably enough to throw out the case, without other damaging evidence against jake

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

B.S.

question, from my posting history, do you condsider me a "dirtbag'"?

From your previous statement, I'd have to say yes, you consider me a dirtbag.

I say that because I've been falsely accused of a sex crime.

So I meet your criteria of dirtbag.

Cool story bro. Your Virtanens white knight because you're personally triggered. You ever meet Virtanen? Ever party with him? Ever experienced his public or private behavior. I never spoke to the truth of the allegations I spoke to Virtanens behavior being a catalyst for negativity. 

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

As long as I am alive and still living in Canada, I will always support the ruling that people are innocent until proven guilty. :gocan:

Do you think that only 12% of those accused of sexual assault are guilty?

Yikes.

Do you think court case outcomes are 100% indicative of if someone did or did not do something? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I believe all of us do. But....the Canucks nor any NHL teams are going to want him anywhere near their dressing room.

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Legally speaking you need to be able to prove the conduct in order to terminate or you open yourself up to potential legal problems later.

Can he just be terminated for breaking covid protocols I'm sure that can be proved.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Cool story bro. Your Virtanens white knight because you're personally triggered. You ever meet Virtanen? Ever party with him? Ever experienced his public or private behavior. I never spoke to the truth of the allegations I spoke to Virtanens behavior being a catalyst for negativity. 

You said only dirtbags get accused, did you not?

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not true at all.  She can absolutely be telling the truth, but there isn’t sufficient evidence to get him charged or convicted.

It doesn’t mean she is lying.

A grown up understands that sexual assault victims can be believed and the accused can also get the presumption of innocence.

Victims have every right to be believed unless there is evidence that they are lying.  Only about 1 in 10 substantiated assaults result in conviction, that doesn’t mean the victims are lying 90% of the time.  On top of that, there are multiples of those numbers that go unreported or found unsubstantiated (not that the victim is lying... that there isn’t enough evidence to proceed).

If I get sensitive about this stuff it is because of my experiences.  You know all those stories of sexual assault in the military you are seeing in the news lately?  I paid my way through university and spent a lot of years in the military police during the 90’s/00’s.  I saw first hand how impossible it was to get convictions and how badly victims were treated by the system.

That's right. That doesn't mean she is lying. That also doesn't mean we should default to the position that she is telling the truth hence the claim should be taken seriously and investigated, nothing more. It's not the accused's responsibility to prove that the claim didn't happen.

Provost sexually assaulted me last weekend. Everyone believe my claim is true without presenting sufficient evidence of such sexual assault. Now prove that this didn't happen.

See the problem with that?

• Upvote 2

The Glacier Media article says the girl agreed to go to a hotel with him....

So, not to make light of the allegation, what exactly did you have in mind going to a hotel room with a young cute boy? To study Bible? Enjoy a lobster meal via room service? Again, I am against any form of sexual misconduct but you kinda know what's coming... and you could scream for help!

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 4