The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Let me say it ONE LAST TIME!! I was not victim blaming....

Look at the Patrick Kane case!!! The allegation was rape!!! And guess what!! It got settled....

Don't just look at one side and assume you know the whole story!!!!

Crap like this could've been avoided if you're smart enough to tell if the guy is normal...and when ur unlucky to get into a messy situation, u report to the police ASAP!!!! Does that sound logical enough?? We are not living in the 40s where no one would listen to women right?????

i am so angry with you,  this woman doesn't need someone telling her what she SHOULD have done. this is not a indicator to guilt.

assaults happen, many assaults don't get reported. like mine.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RakuRaku said:

I totally agree!!!! That's why both men & women gotta play smart.... and when u get violated, call the cops and get medical evidence collected!!!

What bugs me is, 9 times out of 10, the victims settled for $ and now are we still calling P. Kane a rapist???? Nope! 

Its strange how the mind works isn't it? To think it so easy to just go from a place of trauma and be able to think rationally of "I should go to the police".

It does not work that way sadly. To understand the mind and to understand how it works during trauma is a hard thing for those who have not experienced it to understand. 

As I have said before the woman in question was likely sharing her story so as to help others so that what you said can happen. As it stands now, the thought process is more "what have I done" and not "what just happened to me"

• Cheers 1

True or not. This changes the lives of two people for the rest of their existence. I know someone very close to me that was taken advantage of when she was very young by a family member. When she came forward with this, it divided her family. And that was the main reason for keeping it quiet for over 5 years. On the other hand I know another person falsely accused for this misconduct and paid for it dearly. So for this reason I will not comment on this from here on out. Good luck to all parties involved. 

• Upvote 1

And, while I did say earlier I wouldn't be chiming in - that was in direct relation to Jake and his innocence/guilt.   Because he does get the benefit of innocent until proven guilty.

My discussion is aimed at rape and consent in general.  And it's always a good conversation to have if it raises awareness.  

None of us know the real story...only the two people in that room do.  Both sides will have their chance to be heard and that's how it should be.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i am so angry with you,  this woman doesn't need someone telling her what she SHOULD have done. this is not a indicator to guilt.

assaults happen, many assaults don't get reported. like mine.

OK don't be angry.... I apologize!! 

25 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Let me say it ONE LAST TIME!! I was not victim blaming....

Look at the Patrick Kane case!!! The allegation was rape!!! And guess what!! It got settled....

Don't just look at one side and assume you know the whole story!!!!

Crap like this could've been avoided if you're smart enough to tell if the guy is normal...and when ur unlucky to get into a messy situation, u report to the police ASAP!!!! Does that sound logical enough?? We are not living in the 40s where no one would listen to women right?????

I'm shocked people are still so ignorant on this subject in 2021. This is embarassing.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

OK don't be angry.... I apologize!! 

thank you.

we have to be respectful of the process, even if i we don't want to.

but I believe in karma, and guys got some serious karma to repay. unfortunately some of us will be caught up injust acusations but, thats the price we pay for a few thousand years of assaulters getting away scott free. it's not right but thats just the way it is now.

Kudos to Canucks management for handling this situation in the correct manner.  

My hope is that justice and punishment of the severest kind is met here whether that comes in the form of Jake being proven guilty or if these girls on Instagram fabricated the whole thing.  

Edited by DarkIndianRises

1 hour ago, Apricot said:

We should always, ALWAYS believe the victim first and foremost. I’ve seen some “why now?” Posts and tweets. I’m about to go a little personal here, maybe people will understand why now. Coming from personal experience and experience from people I know, it’s very very traumatizing. It takes people a long, LONG time to process what happened, to confront what happened, to talk about what happened, either with themselves, a therapist, or a someone close to them. For some people, going through the process of I don’t want to say acceptance but I can’t think of another word at the moment, but going through the process and coming out the other side takes time, it takes strength, it takes everything that you have in yourself to get to the other side, to be okay. Then that’s when it happens. That’s when we know we are strong, that we are survivors, that we are strong enough to tell our story, to re-live that moment, and still be okay after. 

Doesn’t matter if it’s one month after it happened, or one year, 4 years or 10 years, everyone is different, it takes time for every single person, just depends on how much time. 

So that’s why now. 

So if you choose to believe the victim first right away before due process, that means you’re automatically believing that the accused is guilty without them having gone through due process?

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

Do you think that only 12% of those accused of sexual assault are guilty?

Yikes.

Do you think court case outcomes are 100% indicative of if someone did or did not do something? 

No likely not, but the alternative is what we see on this board where public opinion judges and convicts an individual before he has a chance to defend himself. The opportunity to severely damage an individual's reputation on the basis of an accusation is very real.

Hopefully there will be a more accurate way to find the truth some day. 

16 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

True or not. This changes the lives of two people for the rest of their existence. I know someone very close to me that was taken advantage of when she was very young by a family member. When she came forward with this, it divided her family. And that was the main reason for keeping it quiet for over 5 years. On the other hand I know another person falsely accused for this misconduct and paid for it dearly. So for this reason I will not comment on this from here on out. Good luck to all parties involved. 

I also have a friend who’s still paying dearly from a false allegation, so I know it’s a tricky situation to maneuver. 

Unfortunately, as much as we like to parrot the “innocent until proven guilty” saying, we all know it’s not true. Jake will stop being demonized by society only if/when he proves his innocence. 

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

This means that Jake broke Covid-19 protocol. If these hockey players are still have hock ups with someone other then their mate then they are break Covid-19 rules.

Maybe that is how the team got the out break. 

some one already said, it was 3.5 years ago or something, but nice trying to pile on this situation.