The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to bump Benning sideways?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

38 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Yeah, Gaudette went away quick. It’s not long before MacEwan is gone too if he can’t handle a bottom six role. 
Podolski people here talk about as bottom six player now. 
So Demko, Petey, Höglander and Hughes left.

3 small players that easily can be crushed by the other team in a play off situation and a young unexperienced goalie.

You guys have an open wound after the Sedin twins got hustled because they were so ”friendly”.

So wounded so you applauded Bennings absolutely worst signing ever, a punch drunk player he never should have approached in the first place. 

You always preach love and togetherness.... Spreading joy. 

Thanks for sharing.  

sad cry GIF by Music Choice

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Yeah, Gaudette went away quick. It’s not long before MacEwan is gone too if he can’t handle a bottom six role. 
Podolski people here talk about as bottom six player now. 
So Demko, Petey, Höglander and Hughes left.

3 small players that easily can be crushed by the other team in a play off situation and a young unexperienced goalie.

You guys have an open wound after the Sedin twins got hustled because they were so ”friendly”.

So wounded so you applauded Bennings absolutely worst signing ever, a punch drunk player he never should have approached in the first place. 

I can live with Podolski as a bottom 6....

As long as Podkolzin ends up in top 6 and perform. 

Benning should be moved to the position of Director of Scouting, previously Judd Brackett's position and my choice for general manager and president would be to bring back Lawrence Gilman. His asset management and, obviously, his cap management skills are excellent. He also is a good judge of talent. Gilman is also very personable and is very familiar with the Vancouver market.

12 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

I find it funny how often this comes up with zero proof. Literally the only times I’ve ever heard meddling ownership recently is from fans making things up 

You can decide on whether you believe it or not, but insiders like Botchford (rip) had reported on it for years. It's not from fans making it up.

Then there's the Tortorella hire for Gillis, the push around the Jake Virtanen pick, the rumblings of Green/Clark extensions being held up because they wanted a cheap coach. There's enough to speculate on. 

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Benning should be moved to the position of Director of Scouting, previously Judd Brackett's position and my choice for general manager and president would be to bring back Lawrence Gilman. His asset management and, obviously, his cap management skills are excellent. He also is a good judge of talent. Gilman is also very personable and is very familiar with the Vancouver market.

Once again you either have to fake promote JB or fire him to bring a new gm. He ain't gonna accept a demotion in the same organization. You won't either if you are in a similar position. 

At this point, the Canucks are a mess in the front office front partly caused by Aqua's frugality on this front and JB's incompetence in building a management structure and communication skills. We desperately need a president of hockey ops to rebuild the management structure with or without JB making the hockey decisions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I think thr biggest flaw with Benning is his communication skills or lack thereof.  It's hus biggest weakness and I don't think it's gotten better during his tenure.  Gilman on the other hand was a clear communicator to the media and fans while here.  He was good at value contracts but usually included a ntc.  Not sure if he would be the right choice for GM but one to consider if available when Benning is eventually released.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I think thr biggest flaw with Benning is his communication skills or lack thereof.  It's hus biggest weakness and I don't think it's gotten better during his tenure.  Gilman on the other hand was a clear communicator to the media and fans while here.  He was good at value contracts but usually included a ntc.  Not sure if he would be the right choice for GM but one to consider if available when Benning is eventually released.

Communication skills is more important for a GM than drafting. 

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Benning was supposed to trade Markstrom and Tanev while the Canucks were clearly in playoff contention?  He actually did the opposite.  He traded for Toffoli because Boeser got injured so we actually could continue to make a playoff push...

I wasn't aware of the "BB injury trading for TT" angle... thanks for bringing that to my attention :)

I think the TT trade was fine, even in hindsight....... I mean, we did make a good playoff push with TT. it would have been a HUGE thing around the city IF it wasn't "COVID spring". that put a pretty big damper on it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Is that so hard to understand? 
Benning is the skipper that has people all around doing their business.

Benning is there to get the message out, negotiate with owner, media, other GMs etc... Drafting is done by a bunch of scouts and Benning hear them out. So Benning will probably only focus in the players his scouts already is tuning in on. 
Communication skills is something he has to have in abundance. 

The job is literally called a general MANAGER, having someone with good communication skills who's able to articulate their plan and get the entire organization to buy in is massive.

You can conceivably be a good GM without watching a hockey game at all by just deferring to other competent people. I'd much rather that than what we have now.

• Cheers 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:41 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Having Benning take over scouting full time would be great, I think it would suit his strengths and interests, but he’d really have to swallow his pride to do something like that. Would be a massive downgrade for him. 

• Upvote 1

I would love to see Benning as President and director of scouting. Hell give him a raise if he's willing to step aside but I dont imagine he'd be willing he's a competitor he wants the main job. Jim could still influence team culture, team standards, coaching hires etc. Let him be the eye in the sky that keeps the boat in the right direction. Sad part is if we ever let go of him he's going to only be a better GM in his next stop. I can see Jim as a lifeline long GM which is fantastic for him. I have hoped that would be here - maybe I just need more patience the bad contracts are almost off the books. but honestly i'd be happy if he paid our high 2nd round pick to move eriksson and one of roussel/beagle off the books. I want some new shiny UFA toys that can compliment our squad.

Edited by Rush17

VAN could've had Nylander and McAvoy instead of Virtanen and Juolevi. Benning is an okay drafter, and had the luxury of several high picks. I don't care for his trades, I don't care for his UFA signings. 

Drafting - C+

Trades - D

UFAs - D

Time for a change

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

VAN could've had Nylander and McAvoy instead of Virtanen and Juolevi. Benning is an okay drafter, and had the luxury of several high picks. I don't care for his trades, I don't care for his UFA signings. 

Drafting - B

Trades - D

UFAs - D

Time for a change

EDIT - I upgraded his drafting to a B, as he did take Gaudette, Rathbone, Demko and took Pettersson etc. Hoglander was a great pick as well.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

EDIT - I upgraded his drafting to a B, as he did take Gaudette, Rathbone, Demko and took Pettersson etc. Hoglander was a great pick as well.

One of the reasons to get extra picks.  You can 'swing for the fences' if you have extra picks (boom or bust type of player).  And Gaudette was drafted with an extra pick that Gillis obtained in an earlier trade.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, Timråfan said:

Communication skills is more important for a GM than drafting. 

On 5/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

23 hours ago, Josepho said:

The job is literally called a general MANAGER, having someone with good communication skills who's able to articulate their plan and get the entire organization to buy in is massive.

You can conceivably be a good GM without watching a hockey game at all by just deferring to other competent people. I'd much rather that than what we have now.

Arguably the best GM in the league, Yzerman, did not have a scouting background. And he's known for screwing up his 1st round draft picks for Tampa (DeAngelo, Druoin, Koekkoek.) 

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Arguably the best GM in the league, Yzerman, did not have a scouting background. And he's known for screwing up his 1st round draft picks for Tampa (DeAngelo, Druoin, Koekkoek.) 

by what measure is Stevie Y the best GM in the league?