The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign edler or not?

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Sign Edler for one more year or not sign  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What?

No kid should be thrown into the kind of minutes Edler plays.

Absolutely nothing "easy" about replacing those minutes.

Doesnt have to be a kid but a kid can easily replace him in the lineup. Harmonic, myers, hughes and schmidt can all pick up more of edlers minutes and our team wouldnt suffer at all cause of it. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, gurn said:

The problem is not Edler, the problem is nobody is good enough, yet, or ever, to replace him.

Yes, he is slowing down and should not be getting all those minutes, but the fact is ; he is.

40 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Edler wants to be back and do one more season, let him!

He's still one of our top 4, and we definitely are better with him in the lineup.

1 year deals only though, around 2.5 - 3.5M per season.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sign Edler.

Leads the team in blocked shots.

Leads the blueline in hits.

Leads the team in penalty killing.

Plays the hardest minutes on the blueline.

Still need Edler.  Still a very effective workhorse.

And love the guy.

Particularly necessary if they're going to continue to integrate youth on the blueline and up front...

Yup, nobody is ready to take on those hard minutes yet. We can still use him to transition guys like Juolevi in to that role over the next year or two.

He's definitely older and slower but he's still our best defensive D and you're not going to sign a better one, for cheaper than we're likely to get Edler.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I dont know if people realize just how much it will hurt our back end to lose the Eagle... he plays a lot of important situations/minutes. Its a bit of a tough crossroad for the Canucks and Edler. He’s still very serviceable and a solid dman, but we do at some point need to introduce the next era of the Canucks blue line and just run with it. The problem is who is ready for a top 4 role that can do the things Edler does on a nightly basis. And then there is the issue of cap and term when considering bringing Edler back. How much is too much and how long is too long?

I love Juolevi's all around game - very level-headed, maintains excellent coverage, positioning - calm puck mover - seems to play bigger than his frame - but I would not want to throw him into the fire prematurely.

Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone - some real talent there - but that's far too green a left side to be letting Edler move on.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Doesnt have to be a kid but a kid can easily replace him in the lineup. Harmonic, myers, hughes and schmidt can all pick up more of edlers minutes and our team wouldnt suffer at all cause of it. 

not sure if you're serious - about Hughes picking up Edler's minutes - but that's a bad take.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not sure if you're serious - about Hughes picking up Edler's minutes - but that's a bad take.

Hughes clearing the crease and battling along the boards on the PK...

:bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I dont get it? Just because edler is on the ice doesnt mean its a good thing. How many times because of his speed he falls behind the forecheck and gets beat to the puck or makes a turnover(its a lot). We really gonna sit here and say lets bring back the exact same defense thats been one of the worst in the entire league this season? 

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dont get it?

you don't get that replacing a 6 foot 3 inch 212 lb d man with a 5 foot 10 inch 175 pound d man is a bad idea?

you can't see that these guys fill different roles, do different jobs?

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dont get it? Just because edler is on the ice doesnt mean its a good thing. How many times because of his speed he falls behind the forecheck and gets beat to the puck or makes a turnover(its a lot). We really gonna sit here and say lets bring back the exact same defense thats been one of the worst in the entire league this season? 

Just because Edler is on the ice doesnt mean its a bad thing. He goes up against the oppositions top lines, hes out on the PK and on the ice when we are protecting the lead. Why the hell wouldnt you consider bringing him back at a reduced cap hit and short term. Maybe reduce his minutes and role slightly and allow the younger guys to get their feet wet. He is still very effective and we know what we have in Edler on a nightly basis, Rathbone, Juolevi and Rafferty are still a work in progress. We dont know how they will handle a full 82 game schedule and handle the talent across the league on a nightly basis

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

you don't get that replacing a 6 foot 3 inch 212 lb d man with a 5 foot 10 inch 175 pound d man is a bad idea?

you can't see that these guys fill different roles, do different jobs?

If he was doing a good job i wouldnt have a problem with it but the fact is he isnt doing a good job. Maybe it will be better having someone quicker thats able to get to the puck and get it out of the zone better. Not like edler uses his big size for anything 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Sign Edler.

Leads the team in blocked shots.

Leads the blueline in hits.

Leads the team in penalty killing.

Plays the hardest minutes on the blueline.

Still need Edler.  Still a very effective workhorse.

And love the guy.

Particularly necessary if they're going to continue to integrate youth on the blueline and up front...

Messed this up a bit, was supposed to be in reply to Bertuzzipunch

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Get rid of Baumgartner and Green, bring in a staff who wants a puck pressure/possession system, and then assess this core. The current coaching staff have these guys playing stats-on-ice by doing their middle of the ice no hit no chase 5 man star crap. If we went after guys with the puck, and took the man, this team would look radically different both on the ice and in the standings.

Comes down to priorities for me - do they draft someone this year who can contribute? Or do they need to fill a spot at forward?

I would like to see them even out their line up next year and feel they should focus on finding a D partner for Hughes. So, spend the Edler money on Hamonic, put Miller/Petey/Bo at centre, and move Schmidt to the left side.

Hoglander/DP/internal/UFA              Miller          Boeser

Hoglander/DP/internal/UFA              Petey         Podkolzin

Pearson                                            Bo              Lind

Motte                                                Mid 20s      Mid 20s

Hughes xxx (solid tay at home d)

Schmidt     Hamonic

Rathbone  Myers

Demko

xx

I vote no.

With Tryamkin no longer in the picture, I would  do the following:

1) Re-sign Hamonic

2) Circle back with Arizona with regards to OEL.

OEL-Schmidt 

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone-Myers)

Would be a pretty solid defense (my guess is that one of Juolevi or Rathbone would be a part of an OEL package).

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dont get it? Just because edler is on the ice doesnt mean its a good thing. How many times because of his speed he falls behind the forecheck and gets beat to the puck or makes a turnover(its a lot).

Nah.

That's a bad 'eye test' take with no basis in reality/objective outcomes.

Edler has 22 giveaways this season.  That's actually outstanding considering the fact he plays the hardest minutes on the blueline - 30.7% ozone starts, principal shutdown/matchup defenseman, #1 penalty killer - starting/playing in his own zone a whole lot - against the opposition's best - under pressure - needing to generate as many difficult first passes and zone exits as anyone on the blueline.

22 giveaways.

Schmidt has 62.

Hughes has 52.

Myers 38

Edler 22.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

18 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

With Tryamkin no longer in the picture

Is Tryamkin no longer in the picture?

is there some new news that you're aware of - some source that has taken Tryamkin out of the team's future?

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1