The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching Next Season

-SN-

Who do you want to see back?  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, SNuck said:

Bonus question: If you want to keep Green but fire the assistants, what's your rational? 

Because we've struggled badly in their areas of expertise.  The powerplay doesn't have nearly enough movement, and looked better while Brown was out due to Covid.  All of our defensemen have underachieved under Baumgartner, and the system applies zero pressure to the opponents in our own zone.  I'm torn regarding bringing back Green, as he seems to think that these two morons sabotaging our team is acceptable, which demonstrates very poor judgement.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Yes to Clark, no to everybody else.

If Green can't either fix what his assistants are screwing up, or recognize that they're screwing it up at all, then it's on him.

Beginning of the year I was still Yes Green. Now I'm not. And the covid record has nothing to do with it, it's the manner of play and our lack of improvement in the same areas game in, game out, hell even play in, play out.

Maybe he's a good coach, but I think his time here is done and we need a new voice. "Time expired" as it were.

My gut conspiracy theory is that the Aquilini's are thinking about firing Jim Benning. I felt like they were gonna keep him up until the scheduling debacle where it was revealed that Benning signed off on an NHL approved schedule that the players weren't comfortable with which led to J.T. Miller's now infamous press conference. I have this feeling that Benning has lost the room and that with the recent firings of guys like Davidson/Gorton that there's some premium Executives that are available at a time when they shouldn't be and I can see the Aquilini's perusing there options. And in order to get a leg up on hiring those guys, I feel like the Aquilini's are comfortable letting Green walk so that new management can pick the head coach of there choice instead of riding the pine with a coach they didn't pick.

I'm not sure if that's even true but that's what I feel like is going down right now. I won't be shocked if Green walks and Benning gets fired in the next two weeks...

who was the one person who doesn't want clark?

this person has to be a troll.

anyways voted for keeping green and clark. but I would not be sad if green lost his job

lately I have been seeing interesting changes in lineups and strategy. (yesterday? I ate 3 pounds of dry paint to try to erase my memory, i still see everything)

whoever is responsible for the dumping the puck strategy must go. is brown also the offensive coach or is that green?

baumgartners I dare you to make a play strategy is not working. everyone is rewarded for just cycling, eventually our d will make a mistake and the team will get a great chance or 2. our d and o strategies are so consistent that the other teams can plan, adapt and consistently dismantle us every game.

get the center to hold the blue line with the D every once in a while, punish the forwards who dare try to carry the puck . and god dang it forecheck the pointman, i could care less about the side wall guys, but causing a turnover at the line often turns into a great scoring chance.

on the power play allow the puck carrier to skate with the puck, rotating the forwards into a new formation and hopefully getting the D to chase and open up the slot for some high scoring chances. the best goalies only save 58% of the shots from in the slot. the one timers we go to are much easier to save.

also is now a good time to talk about schmidt on the second goal of the game? it's definitely not, but that was the biggest fail i have seen in a long time

YES

NO

NO

YES

Please get rid of baum and brown, and i dont mind keeping green for another year, hopefully they hire the head coach from utica as a assistant and someone else with a brain, brown and baum in the coaching staff we will NEVER be competitive 

I'd rather see a fresh staff, Clark aside, but I'm honestly indifferent to Green. Could probably have more success with different assistants, but eh. 

Baumer and Brown can go though. Especially Baumer, our D should be better with the players we've got. 

Edited by Coconuts

I would want 2 new veteran coaches if we kept Green, but ultimately I would rather have the head coach be experienced and more tactical (yes, like Gallant). I love Clark and would keep him for Demko's prime. 

The fact Green isn't renewed makes me wonder. Will Green put a line in the sand saying either renew my contract and let me keep my staff? Or is it term/money? 

Will Green choose staying with the team or losing his assistants? Clark is a probably the no brainer, you sign him regardless. Provided Clark wants to stay.

The teams struggles in defence and special teams pretty much show Baumer and Brown aren't helping. If anything they a fall guys for a poor season.

Or is the real reason the owners are looking at cleaning house with management and coaching?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

I voted for:

Green: No
Baumgartner: No
Brown: No
Clark: YES

As other have mentioned, the retention of Clark is an absolute given - he has brought back some decent mojo for Holtby, and has allowed Demko to reach a new level of play this year. While the numbers may say something else (scoresheet, individual stats, etc), if Demko was not let out to dry most evenings, especially post-COVID return to play, he would have better performance ratings. 

Before I delve into the negatives, I will mention that I have taken into consideration the on-ice product that will come from a dreaded schedule, COVID recovery, and our usual travel as the furthest team in the West/North.   

As for both NB's on our coaching staff, they are not bringing anything new to utilizing our roster. For Brown, the dread "drop-pass", even with the "double bump back to the 3rd member or "trailer trailer" goes nowhere usually. By the time they make their third pass in the breakout, they have just crossed our own blueline and is now facing minimum 2, maybe 3 stationary defenders at centre ice. It takes way too long to set up a basic formation/play in the offensive zone and they remain too predictable with their shot/shooter choices. For Baumgartner, he looks to be using as many veterans as he can to possibly try and maintain his own job security should we squeak out a win, but the selection of who he suggests plays (which I am sure Green ultimately chooses), is lackluster and the defensive pairings are average in most cases, to best utilize their strengths - both on the active roster, and taxi squads. 

For Green, I will keep in mind the players that he has at his disposal, which has not changed too much over the course of the season (a few waiver wire pick ups, JV's situation, taxi squad trade deadline acquisitions - save Highmore), but he has not done enough to maximize the roster's potential. His coaching, while it has had its high spots, has been average as well, through multiple years behind our bench. This may be disputed down the road, but I highly doubt that Benning and Co. does not speak with his coaching staff on player acquisitions and retentions to a certain degree. I will mention that I know that Benning gets a lot of flack for keeping JV instead of Toffoli (I am on that boat too) but I understand the implications of dropping his first ever first round draft pick and will hold onto him to possible prove a point. However, with all that being said, there are many instances that he has been outcoached, especially 5-on-5 by the opposing teams. His reluctance to use his timeout during the game to regroup has become a growing pain. He stresses the importance of playing the younger players at his media availabilities only to release his gameday roster filled with our veterans; in many cases, it is the same day or the day after. His promotion from the Comets to the Canucks a couple years after his Calder Cup run was an accomplishment back in the day, but I believe his time here has run out. His coaching style and utilization of his assistants evokes a sense of his AHL days and I see the need for an established NHL coach to bring our roster to the next level. If Benning and the Aquilini Family go that direction, I believe he may be able to save his job from the chopping block.

There are multiple members of the local and national media that believes that Green is a sought-after commodity. If that is the case, kudos to Green for maintaining a good reputation around the league and in the media. Should he be scoped up early on, I wish him all the best with his new organization. Should we retain him, I won't continually bash him or shine a negative light on his coaching, but I hope to see some differences in his coaching style in the future years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Green's issue is very similar to AV's Achilles heel. Both of them will not change their style, and never seem to change and adapt to the situation. Where as Green is an up tempo style. AV's is defence. I have to say this is where AV shines, because his teams have a solid defensive structure. However if he faces a team with lots of offensive options, his plan tends to fall apart. Same with Green. You face the team with an Edmonton or Toronto. You might beat them once or twice, but long term without a good defensive system you get overwhelmed. 

This is why I wanted the team to hire Joel Quennville when he was let go by Chicago. He's good with young players. He's adaptable. And can play any style of hockey you throw at him. (Good example is how the Panthers are doing now.) 

• Cheers 2

I’d bring Green back. Players seem to like him and love playing for him.

I like Baumer but our D play has been bad for a while. Part being the lack of talent but also his system could be an issue. I think maybe if we get an experienced D coach to pair with Green it can be a good combo.

Haven't liked our PP for years. Even when it was firing and getting goals it didn’t look great. Browns gotta go.

Not sure how much a goaltending coach matters. I recall Rollie Melanson being the best goalie coach. Then he left and we still have great goaltending. Was it Clark or just good goalies? Idk

There should be an option for bringing back Benning. As long as that dumbo is in charge this team won’t take the next step

No to all.   My stance on Green hasn't changed since he was in the AHL.  He never did anything with the farm team, except for the year JB got him top career AHLers at the deadline and they went to the finals.  Green hasn't develop a single players on our roster, they all by-passed him in Utica (Horvat, Boeser, Hutton, Stetcher, Tryamkin) while everyone that went to Utica fell off a cliff (Gaunce, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Cassels, Goldobin).  On the other hand with the Canucks, Hoglander, EP and Hughes just showed up in camp and forced Green to put them in the lineup right away by their early strong play. 

Last year's playoff run was a mirage, as evidence by our play this season (even before COVID crisis).   

Honestly, I've been a big JB defender, but I'd let him go too.   I haven't changed my mind on him, I still believe he brought a lot more positive than negative for this team, but now I just think it's time to hand the team to another GM who will pick up where JB left off.  While I'll miss his ability to draft, I think this team needs a new voice, someone that will pick up this solid base and bring it to the next level, like Gillis did in 2007/08, but hopefully with a better draft tracking record than him, so we can have a bigger windows than just a few years.  

• Thanks 1