The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 15, 12:30 p.m. l SNP | PLAYOFFS EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is where I see a major blind spot with a lot of fans. And coaches and GM's too.

Our veteran players make as many or more mistakes than most of the kids in our lineup. People get stuck in their thinking that vets are safe and dependable. 

I have seen Miller make a ton of "rookie mistakes" lately. Pearson is seen as a great defensive player but have you ever noticed just how consistently he loses his check in the defensive zone? It happens a lot. Same type of thing with all our vets really.

I am far more tolerant of rookie mistakes than I am veteran mistakes.

I'm ok for playing our prospects to see what they can do at the NHL level. 

Considering how good Miller played last year. I think this has more to do with losing Petey that's effecting his play. And he's frustrated and making dumb plays and

costly penalties. 

Edler sadly, even though he's a serviceable d-man, seems a step behind, and not using positioning to make up for speed. 

I think a lot comes down to execution, and sadly coaching. 

Buckle up, I have a feeling this offseason is going to be a crazy ride. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

A lot posts on here are pointing to the contrary. Like putting Silovs in to get shelled. 

You’re assuming he’d get shelled.

Im cheering for development at this point which although would likely lead to losses makes us stronger for next season.

We’re playing the roster pretty much the same way we did all season which is ridiculous considering where we finished.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Same thing it did with DiPietro.

Made him hungrier. ;)

Huge difference between putting a player in because you have no choice cuz all you other goalies are injured and throwing a kid in simply to help increase the odds of the team losing.

I'm sure you're smart enough to know that

• Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not upset after a win.

Happy for Demko and Highmore. Did absolutely nothing to change the season or help us for next year though.

Developing rookies by giving them key minutes on the other hand would.

That’s all true, but some of the rookies can’t play yet.  

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is where I see a major blind spot with a lot of fans. And coaches and GM's too.

Our veteran players make as many or more mistakes than most of the kids in our lineup. People get stuck in their thinking that vets are safe and dependable. 

I have seen Miller make a ton of "rookie mistakes" lately. Pearson is seen as a great defensive player but have you ever noticed just how consistently he loses his check in the defensive zone? It happens a lot. Same type of thing with all our vets really.

I am far more tolerant of rookie mistakes than I am veteran mistakes.

Mistakes are going to happen.  My point with Green was that he won't necessarily staple guys to the bench so long as they get it and are making a net positive difference on the ice.  

A guy like Darryl Sutter, Torts or Hitchcock could have had an entirely different approach with Hoagie or Hughes

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

You’re assuming he’d get shelled.

Im cheering for development at this point which although would likely lead to losses makes us stronger for next season.

We’re playing the roster pretty much the same way we did all season which is ridiculous considering where we finished.

No, he would get shelled. 

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

Huge difference between putting a player in because you have no choice cuz all you other goalies are injured and throwing a kid in simply to help increase the odds of the team losing.

I'm sure you're smart enough to know that

Why does it matter what reason he goes in for?

All that matters is that he gets an opportunity. Do you think he really cares why he gets a start or that he gets one?

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Angry Goose said:

Mistakes are going to happen.  My point with Green was that he won't necessarily staple guys to the bench so long as they get it and are making a net positive difference on the ice.  

Depends on the player though.

Some who should miss a shift or two never do.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

No, he would get shelled. 

Against Calgary? Doubt it.

And I’m pretty sure Holtby has been shelled this season. Are we assuming Silovs is so fragile mentally that he would quit hockey after letting in 7?

No he would work on his game and come back stronger.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not upset after a win.

Happy for Demko and Highmore. Did absolutely nothing to change the season or help us for next year though.

Developing rookies by giving them key minutes on the other hand would.

disagree, there may be a few people  auditioning for spots on the 4th line and Chatfield may be auditioning as a depth defenseman

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s all true, but some of the rookies can’t play yet.  

Juolevi and Rathbone can play at the same time.

Lind can play in the top 6. Silovs can get a start.

Green has options.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

disagree, there may be a few people  auditioning for spots on the 4th line and Chatfield may be auditioning as a depth defenseman

We already know what kind of defenseman Chatfield is. Decent farm call up but not a regular.

Id rather see the roster post Edler and have Rathbone and Juolevi in at the same time.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why does it matter what reason he goes in for?

All that matters is that he gets an opportunity. Do you think he really cares why he gets a start or that he gets one?

Yeah it matters. Putting him in because you have no faith in him to win is a terrible message to send to him and the team

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Against Calgary? Doubt it.

And I’m pretty sure Holtby has been shelled this season. Are we assuming Silovs is so fragile mentally that he would quit hockey after letting in 7?

No he would work on his game and come back stronger.

Again you’re making up points no one is saying. 

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Miller - Petey - Boeser
Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin
Pearson - Sutter/Graovac - Lind
Motte - Beagle(?)/Highmore - MacEwen
Gadjovich/Bailey/Jasek

Hughes - Hamonic (or upgrade via UFA)

Rathbone - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers
Edler? Woo?

DEMKO!

And that's without and trades/UFA additions.

Bring on next season.

If thats our backend next year, we are dead.  Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone who all play small and soft AF in your top 4 is going to get us wrecked. 

Miller, Petey, Boeser are dreadful as a unit 5 on 5.  The team needs a new top line unit.  Hopefully they try Hoglander with Petey.  

Im fine with one of Sutter and Graovac as our 4C next year, but the team will need to find a 3c. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Depends on the player though.

Some who should miss a shift or two never do.

Why should they miss a shift?  Stapling Miller to the Bench doesn't prove anything.  He knows where he messes up.  He's a leader for this team and despite some of his rough games, he's a net positive for this team.

• Upvote 1