The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Do you call your employees bud too?

Not specifically "bud", but equivalent terms. My employees are a giant family. I have been able to largely retire because I can trust them to do their jobs effectively without constant supervision.

Hiring the right people is the best investment any business can make. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I mean pony up and get Ian Clarke and Green signed and end this circus. 

Clarke, YES, Green, NF Way!  He's an AHL Caliber coach and will never - repeat Never - lead a group of players to the cup.  He was only ever hired as an interim coach and it must be kept that way.   He'll be gone in less than 24 hours and good riddance!

(Don't forget to shut the door behind you and Bum-Gardener)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, combover said:

Only when he agrees with who ever is on that side  of the argument.

I don’t mind button even though I disagree with this. 
Benning supporters are the minority and if they weren’t FA wouldn’t be panicking trying to find Pr brand saving people.

and if Jim’s done a “ good job” nobody would be calling him to say your not fired.

have you ever been told you did a good job so your not fired lol

it pretty clear Jim’s on the needles point and if the owners didn’t mind paying two Gms  one fired one new  Jim would be gone. 

To be clear this isn’t a move  of support this is a darn it we’ve thrown to much money away with this idiot so let him stay to save money. 
well find some pr people us hide the disaster Jb. 
if they actually supported him it wouldn’t have gotten to this point. 
reminds me of Gillis last season FA basically the GM.

I’ll be surprised if he still has a job at Christmas.

It’s good news for me Now I can put my fire Benning bumper stickers and T shirts back on the machine. 
looking forward to chanting Fire Benning at the game in early October. 

you know what, maybe you get what you wish for. If he is  replaced, I hope his replacement is up to par. Remember our owners are not too keen  on paying top  dollars for management

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

And you couldnt have predicted the flat cap or the luongo penalty. It is hindsight. You are hiding behind a black swan to make your argument 

Here is the thing about business planning.

When you do it properly, you dont need to be able to predict catastrophic events cutting into your effectiveness in order to survive. You have already planned contingencies for worst case scenarios.

Most NHL teams actually plan around a much lower than projected salary cap every year. They dont pin their hopes to be able to sign or re-sign players on a cap increase. Its been like that since well before covid. The Canucks dont seem to do that though, baking in best case scenarios coming to pass instead. 

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

2 years left 

Yeah that’s what I’m saying,

Even the most avid supporter couldn’t  honestly believe Jb would be resigned if his contract was up. 
so it’s pretty clear this is a financial move not a move of support. 

• RoughGame 1

40 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I totally supported him for being absent scouting at that time but IMO that’s why the team needs a President. Green should not have been put in the position of having to answer those JV questions. There should have been someone else to handle the press conference, even knowing that the response would be “we have nothing more to add our statement at this time.”

He was doing a standard pre-game conference call and he stated clearly at the beginning that he wasn't going to comment on Jake's situation. Some media members - being fairly dumb - continued to immediately ask questions of that nature. He wasn't trotted out there to speak on behalf of the team on this issue and he made that clear to anyone who isn't stupid. The team released a statement and that was all that was necessary at the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not specifically "bud", but equivalent terms. My employees are a giant family. I have been able to largely retire because I can trust them to do their jobs effectively without constant supervision.

Hiring the right people is the best investment any business can make. 

Not wrong about that but I find the “bud” term irritating and a way to make a person feel small. Especially when it’s typed. Maybe other people don’t see it that way. But I noticed that. I’ve been avoiding saying “Dude” to start a conversation sometimes as it isn’t always taken the way I intended. But I say Dude a lot in person lol. I find “Bud” the same as calling someone “champ” lol 

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

you know what, maybe you get what you wish for. If he is  replaced, I hope his replacement is up to par. Remember our owners are not too keen  on paying top  dollars for management

I’ll give you that.
I don’t think top tier managers would work for the current owners. 

I’ll never understand how Benning still has so many supporters with such poor performance over the last 7 years. Half decent drafting doesn’t make up for the many, many, many failures of his tenure. He is so overwhelmingly net negative it’s amazing people still want to see more of him.

Now it makes sense why Trump still has so many supporters smh. 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Not wrong about that but I find the “bud” term irritating and a way to make a person feel small. Especially when it’s typed. Maybe other people don’t see it that way. But I noticed that. I’ve been avoiding saying “Dude” to start a conversation sometimes as it isn’t always taken the way I intended. But I say Dude a lot in person lol. I find “Bud” the same as calling someone “champ” lol 

Watever u say pal 

• Haha 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

I am sincerely sorry to offend. I certainly dont mean it in any kind of negative way. I should try not to use it as much in writing I guess. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

Yeah that’s what I’m saying,

Even the most avid supporter couldn’t  honestly believe Jb would be resigned if his contract was up. 
so it’s pretty clear this is a financial move not a move of support. 

Depends but yeah everyone expires in hockey. If I were to make a guess I’d say JB won’t be around if we don’t make the playoffs next year. Could stay awhile if the make the playoffs twice in a row. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Foote is about as prototypical as they come, imo, when I think of an ideal partner for Hughes.

He's a two way defenseman, good mobility, good hockey intelligence / reads the play well, has a big shot (which would be served well playing with Hughes), he's a big guy that can handle the hard areas - really an all-around, all-situations young RHD that I think would complement Hughes extremely well (and vice versa) and he's mobile and physical enough imo that he could help, for example, limit Hughes need to retrieve pucks under pressure in his own zone....I'd love to see a pairing like that grow together (although I'm not sure you'd pair them together instantly - perhaps you also bring back Hamonic to placehold/transition as insurance.

He's also a 22 year old RFA - who Tampa are unlikely to be able to protect in the e.d. (unless they expose an equally important piece to them, arguably more important in the present - ie Cernak...).   It could be a good, rare opportunity to acquire a player like this - who is an excellent fit - and fits our timeline.

I'd probably consider dealing our 1st this year for him - and it might take that to get it done.

Defenallty depends on the cost but i'd try aquire too if he is as good as advirestesed as you say because he really does sound like the type of RHD we need right now 

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Obviously a financial decision because a blind man can see that JB can't manage assets and trades.  He can't communicate properly and he's let nearly all our assets walk out the front door for nothing in return, handing out dumb a$$ contracts to ECHL caliber bottom 6 players (The worst in the league), made numerous bad trades and the icing on the cake..........kept (soon to be imprisoned) Lazy Jake instead of TT, who has 11 times his points output at just $1.5m above Lazy Jake and he gave up a coveted 2nd round pick for  TT.  That screw-up was a direct result of his inability to multi-task (not the first time ether).   

He's a glorified scout - PERIOD - END OF STORY.   Nothing more! 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1