The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Rathbone isn't comparable to Madden, who is struggling in the AHL and is a long shot to ever be an NHL regular at his size.

Interesting..........people were singing a different tune a year ago. 

The majority of people here were pegging Madden as our replacement for Sutter.

• Cheers 1

I think if you watch some of these playoff series its hard not to see just how slow, non physical, not consistently offensively dynamic, and non gritty our team and style currently is. 

Honestly, it makes me a bit sad watching how some of these teams play compared to the Canucks.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

On the plus side, this improves our chances of getting Connor Bedard.

We all know he's going to Pittsburgh or Washington as soon as they slip out of playoffs and Sid shows signs of slowing down or Ovie leaves for Russia. haha no lotto luck for Canucks.

Edited by DSVII

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So I was watching yesterday's game and @Alain Vigneault was bitching in the GDT, but said he wasn't gonna be watching. LOL. What a character. He missed out on the four goals of the third period.

that guy should change his username

it's an insult to AV.

the guy knows literally nothing that a user with that name should.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 3

Just now, shiznak said:

Its been the same with every prospect or young guy once Benning trades them. 

If Lind or Gads or Podz got traded tomorrow, they would suddenly be $&!# to many here.

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Don't worry. We're penciling in Focht and Lind in that 3C role today...until they're traded away that is ;) 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think if you watch some of these playoff series its hard not to see just how slow, non physical, not consistently offensively dynamic, and non gritty our team and style currently is. 

Honestly, it makes me a bit sad watching how some of these teams play compared to the Canucks.

I would have to agree with that opinion and hope that they can add a degree of truculent players in the mix going forward. Podkolzin might turn out to be that type of player. we just need a few more IMO.

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

To quote Jared McCann..it is what it is. I’ve been wishy washy with Jim over the years and have praised his drafting but loathed his UFA signings and overall asset management. Next year, if the Canucks stumble and miss the playoffs in what’s lining up to be a dogsh*t Pacific Division then lord help him. Until then, I’m looking forwards to seeing Podkolzin, further growth from Petey, Hughes, and Hoglander. On the flip

side, I cant help but wonder how the f**k the Canucks could ever keep pace with any single one of these playoff teams given what I’ve seen thus far in these playoff games. It’s been fantastic, fast, hard, physical hockey with is everything the Canucks aren’t. Here’s to hoping. 

Well all the teams in playoffs have DEPTH, players in bottom 6 that can score a goal or two. We have a bottom 6 made of washed up vets and waiver wire pickups plus a player that is accused of sexual assault. Out of all the bottom 6 players, I would keep Motte and Gadjovic and maybe Graovac. The rest can go. We need a 3rd line Center and a 3rd line winger. Also need 2 top 4 defenders assuming we trade schmidt and not sign Edler.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Angry Goose said:

I've been pretty honest in my support of JB.  I'm glad he will get another crack at it and hopefully this dreadful season at least showed some new bright spots player wise e.g. Hoagie, Rathbone, Hamonic etc.  

Hopefully with a normal schedule and couple of tweaks (like a 3rd line C!) and adding a guy like Podzkolzin will boost the team.  

I'd still like to see the org add someone as a buffer to communicate with media, since it seems to be a real sticking point for them.  

I think they've needed a media relations officer since the Burke era.

The explosion of twittiocy has only underlined and multiplied that need.

Half the amateurs in this market - should not be permitted in the room - they simply are not professionals - and they not only waste the time of the team and it's players, but they suck the energy out of the room with their combination of desperation for attention and smarm.

Getting proactive with managing the unnecessary exposure is something they should undertake.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Obviously a financial decision because a blind man can see that JB can't manage assets and trades.  He can't communicate properly and he's let nearly all our assets walk out the front door for nothing in return, handing out dumb a$$ contracts to ECHL caliber bottom 6 players (The worst in the league), made numerous bad trades and the icing on the cake..........kept (soon to be imprisoned) Lazy Jake instead of TT, who has 11 times his points output at just $1.5m above Lazy Jake and he gave up a coveted 2nd round pick for  TT.  That screw-up was a direct result of his inability to multi-task (not the first time ether).   

He's a glorified scout - PERIOD - END OF STORY.   Nothing more! 

Thats a fine assessment. There are a lot of things to point at. JB has warts big ugly ones. However Pete Hughes Nils Podkolzin Boeser Miller and others would like a word. On the surface there's bad money sure Jake and Juolevi might be misses bunch of cap problems. If they can wait to expire the bad money and add 2 more strong drafts  this team will be in a very good spot. By the sounds of it Aqua are tanking 2 years cutting off the cash. This needs to happen. If they stay the course the window looks like it should be there with the money (cap) too. I see a great foundation that isnt finished being poured it's not time for the contractor to show up yet.

3 hours ago, BPA said:

My guess is it's LE.

He was shelved all season on the Taxi squad.  He can't be too happy about that.

Would be hilarious if it was....

Get LE out of here.... LE didn't even stay back.... great stuff :lol:

Just now, CanucksCountry said:

I mean in all honesty a 3rd line Center shouldnt be over 3m so i think we are fine 

paul stastny, jordan staal, JT Miller, Tyler Bozak, anthony cirelli making near 5M. these players are or were 3rd line centers. i would say the majority of  teams have a 3RD line center making 3M+

• Cheers 1