The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, I know...not like it's his job or anything, to get first hand visual on who he is thinking of drafting.

I totally supported him for being absent scouting at that time but IMO that’s why the team needs a President. Green should not have been put in the position of having to answer those JV questions. There should have been someone else to handle the press conference, even knowing that the response would be “we have nothing more to add our statement at this time.”

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hopefully - I'd love to see them both back - but I'd understand if Clark in particular is interested in a new challenge (his role is more limited/specific).

I imagine Green would like to finish what he's started here and continue to work with this group - but you never know. If he's not back, I'd suspect it's a management decision, but I personally don't think management should be looking to replace him - I think he's done an excellent job under the circumstances.

I'm open to an upgrade if Maurice is let go by Winnipeg.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say as long as they show consistent steady improvement through the year........they are still a young team and will be fragile.  If Demko plays well, I think they find a playoff spot.

The state of our team right now if we didnt pick him has put a shiver going down my spine.

Does anyone realize the problems that come with bringing him back? What players are going to want to sign with this team when communication problems are a huge issue. It’s going to be really hard going forward trying to convince any quality free agents to come here after all the issues there have been with communicating with players that fans loved and are now gone. It just screams saving money as the main reason for bringing him back. Apathy is setting in. I really don’t get how this can be turned around by someone who is so short sighted. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm open to an upgrade if Maurice is let go by Winnipeg.

no thanks

I'd fire him if I were Winnipeg - would have some time ago.  Not 'hate' - I like him - just don't believe in his coaching - think his team consistently underachieves.

Wouldn't hire him here, that's for sure.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Petterson a Canucks because of Trevor and Judd, its wild;y reported Jim wanted Glass

When the season starts next year are you going to be optimistic or already defeated? Partner, your team has a ton of young prospects developing and getting better.

You can chose to be a positive fan right now and let go of all the negativity.  It's ok. The Canucks will continue to get better whether you hack on them or not.

12 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

So if Jim trades Rathbone for someone like Toffoli again and we get kicked out in 6 in round 1 is that a success?

Just curious because Jim will be looking out for Jim.

Not a success for the fans.  But probably a success for FA.

Just now, oldnews said:

no thanks

I'd fire him if I were Winnipeg - would have some time ago.  Not 'hate' - I like him - just don't believe in his coaching - think his team consistently underachieves.

Wouldn't hire him here, that's for sure.

That's fair.  I like the heavy game his teams play, and the way he holds everyone accountable, star or not.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I totally supported him for being absent scouting at that time but IMO that’s why the team needs a President. Green should not have been put in the position of having to answer those JV questions. There should have been someone else to handle the press conference, even knowing that the response would be “we have nothing more to add our statement at this time.”

He was going to have to have to answer those questions anyway. Benning can’t stop the media by going on a zoom call. Green would have gotten the exact same questions 

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Does anyone realize the problems that come with bringing him back? What players are going to want to sign with this team when communication problems are a huge issue. It’s going to be really hard going forward trying to convince any quality free agents to come here after all the issues there have been with communicating with players that fans loved and are now gone. It just screams saving money as the main reason for bringing him back. Apathy is setting in. I really don’t get how this can be turned around by someone who is so short sighted. 

It will be an easy 3 step process tgat Benning has shown a great ability to accomplish:

- over market value dollars

- too long of term

- some form of ntc or nmc

Easy peasy.

Just now, Devron44 said:

He was going to have to have to answer those questions anyway. Benning can’t stop the media by going on a zoom call. Green would have gotten the exact same questions 

I agree but there still should be someone in that position to handle it. Green being left to do it only fed into the media nonsense about JB not being here which then fueled more of the Benning rhetoric on this board. 

• Cheers 1