The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aggressive offseason

Rate this topic

ShawnAntoski

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All the Seattle mock drafts available - none include Holtby, better starters and backups available and he's not easy to trade.   Francis has stated he's going to ice a team well below the cap to start.   Then make deals after and keep funds open for UFAs.   Most had them picking JV.   Now that's moved to Lind or Gads, which is what we should be expecting.   And out of any team in our division, why would they do us any favours - and what would they do any favours for any team in our division too? They will have room for 2 maybe 3 cap deals that's it.   Out of 30 teams (Vegas is exempt).  

Sure JB will try and make a deal for one of their extra D's if it makes sense, but not expecting any cap relief anymore.   It's too bad.     On the flip side it's not going to hurt us either as we won't be losing a roster player. 

It's only one year (and we likely have to wait it out another year for LE).  I'd rather JB do nothing than give up picks to unload bad contracts.  We'll be in a better position in the long-run  (I'd rather 'roll the dice' and let JB use those picks to draft some more prospects).

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Avalanche actually did a deep and painful rebuild. The Canucks have re-tooled and as a result of it not working have drafted high to build a core. Both took very different approaches so its kind of hard to compare their timelines.

Imo, there is no appetite among the fanbased (perhaps the season ticket holder ?) to tank in this market; not sure, if you had noticed the (sometimes heated) discussion in this forum of the importance of getting those loser points against the Flakes - winning culture !   Also, good chance: Sutter & Edler are signed for nostalgic reasons (?).

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

All the Seattle mock drafts available - none include Holtby, better starters and backups available and he's not easy to trade.   Francis has stated he's going to ice a team well below the cap to start.   Then make deals after and keep funds open for UFAs.   Most had them picking JV.   Now that's moved to Lind or Gads, which is what we should be expecting.   And out of any team in our division, why would they do us any favours - and what would they do any favours for any team in our division too? They will have room for 2 maybe 3 cap deals that's it.   Out of 30 teams (Vegas is exempt).  

Sure JB will try and make a deal for one of their extra D's if it makes sense, but not expecting any cap relief anymore.   It's too bad.     On the flip side it's not going to hurt us either as we won't be losing a roster player. 

honestly, holtby's cap hit notwithstanding, my gut tells me he'd make more of an impact on the team in a backup role next year than either lind or gadjovich ever will. I don't think they have the pop, based on the small samples I've seen, to make the jump. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

They are quite likely protecting 4 D.   No way Seattle is taking Tyler Johnson, or Killorn, not with Palat and Gourde available.   And no way Cernak or Foote is left exposed either that's a pipe armchair GM dream.    They will be keeping their cheap cap hits and protecting their core players. 

they are still a beast without one of those two. 

I do think they protect Cirelli over Foote tho, so we may have an opportunity there. 

9 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Aggressive off season will go like a Jan Bulis shift, whole lot of try for whole lot of nothing.

Im not expecting anything. How can you be aggressive with no cap space and with only virtanen giving you a break with a buy out. JB probably shouldve been honest and just say we will be aggressive next offseason.   

15 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Aggressive off season will go like a Jan Bulis shift, whole lot of try for whole lot of nothing.

The optimism of this post is undeniable.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im not expecting anything. How can you be aggressive with no cap space and with only virtanen giving you a break with a buy out. JB probably shouldve been honest and just say we will be aggressive next offseason.   

benning has no guile. he's as honest and transparent an exec as there is out there. he doesn't have what it takes to tell a bald faced lie to the cameras. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

when did jan bulis ever try hard? 

edit: and don't say the piggy back. 

Edited by tas
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, there is no appetite among the fanbased (perhaps the season ticket holder ?) to tank in this market; not sure, if you had noticed the (sometimes heated) discussion in this forum of the importance of getting those loser points against the Flakes - winning culture !   Also, good chance: Sutter & Edler are signed for nostalgic reasons (?).

Rebuilding with young players and accumulating assets doesnt automatically equal tanking.

The Canucks are a good example. They played better at the end of the season with young guys in the lineup.

Sutter and Edler coming back on 1 year terms doesnt bother me. As long as they dont get more than 1.5 mil or so each with no ntc or nmc.

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Rebuilding with young players and accumulating assets doesnt automatically equal tanking.

The Canucks are a good example. They played better at the end of the season with young guys in the lineup.

Sutter and Edler coming back on 1 year terms doesnt bother me. As long as they dont get more than 1.5 mil or so each with no ntc or nmc.

Hope JB continues his draft mojo & some teams goes off board.

39 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hope JB continues his draft mojo & some teams goes off board.

And you know that some team will reach for a defenseman or a center.  I think we may be able to grab the top 1 or 2 wingers available at number 9. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I mean it's likely silly to expect much earth shattering news but there are real possibilities to be 'aggressive' via trades (like Schmidt last year).

And none of us really knows what's happening with guys like Beagle (LTIRetirement? Take bonus and retire?) or Eriksson (AHL? Take bonus and retire?) to say how much cap we'll really have. But I don't know why people hear 'aggressive' and assume that means a bunch of UFA's?

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I mean it's likely silly to expect much earth shattering news but there are real possibilities to be 'aggressive' via trades (like Schmidt last year).

And none of us really knows what's happening with guys like Beagle (LTIRetirement? Take bonus and retire?) or Eriksson (AHL? Take bonus and retire?) to say how much cap we'll really have. But I don't know why people hear 'aggressive' and assume that means a bunch of UFA's?

Just not confident in JB himself to be able to do something fantastic this offseason. I hope he can but hes not in a position of strength atm. Other teams will also be trying to  be aggressive and will have interest in the players JB will be looking at. If he can do something good that would be great but not holding my breath. 

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

More than “assume”. There are those who “hope” for a bunch of UFA’s! What better fodder could there be if your goal or “responsibility” is to educate those who have foolishly fallen into the pro JB faction!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Just not confident in JB himself to be able to do something fantastic this offseason. I hope he can but hes not in a position of strength atm. Other teams will also be trying to  be aggressive and will have interest in the players JB will be looking at. If he can do something good that would be great but not holding my breath. 

Aggressive = Desperation - hope not ?

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would you prefer that during our rebuilding phase, which we were in, we don’t have top ten draft pick?  How would we rebuild a young core without high picks?  

I’d prefer we didn’t try to be something we’re weren’t. Competitive.

all the wasted cap and and draft pick that could have been used to add depth and trade chips for a team that’s actually ready to be competitive. 
we don’t have cap or depth youth we can use now he used it to be a bottom feeder. 
We should have been rebuilding not doing whatever the hell JB was doing 

we were not a winning environment for the kids 

we were not a competitive team 

we were not a playoff team 

so all the things he said we would be were wrong and he wasted a ton of owners money picks and prospects to achieve absolutely nothing.

we could have achieved the same level of failure by not doing any of those things and hindsight isn’t needed. 
we drafted high inspite of what Jim has done, isn’t that a tell tale of his level of failure.

hard to sell 7 years of failure when he keeps doing the same things that equaled the failures to this point.

he made his bed he assembled this team of which 1-4 players should be bought out ( yikes) (le Ar beagle JV) 

he deserves all the criticism  he gets and if he wasn’t under contract for another 2 years he wouldn’t have returned. 
I have zero faith that a guy who demonstrated over and over he is incapable of assembling the right pieces at the right price will be able to throw more money at the problems he’s created to fix it. 

• RoughGame 1