The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] brining in 2 home town boys to improve the top 9

With these player most likely wanting out I could see a fit here playing for their hometown team as Benning said he would like to be aggressive in free agency and trades, so here is my proposal 

Expansion draft 

Hoblty 

LTIR usage

Beagle 

Ferland 

Signings

Re-sign Elias Pettersson 3yr/7.5M

Re-sign Quinn Hughes 3yr/7.5m

Re-sign Sam Reinhart 4yrs/6M

Re-Sign Cal Foote 2/yrs1.25M

Re-Sign Vasli Podkolzin 3yr/925K

Re-Sign Travis Hamonic 1/yr1.25M

Re-Sign Tyler Gravoc to a 1yr/700K

Sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 6yr/6.5M 

Sign Jonathan Bernier 2yr/2M

Why RHN signs with his home town team and takes a bit of a home town discount I believe he wants out of Edmonton and I could see him coming home at price like this

Trades

Vancouver Receives: Sam Reinhart

Buffalo Receives 2022 1st (Lottery Protected) Kole Lind Antoine Roussel 

Why Van Does this 

In Reinhart you get a home town boy that can be marketable to the fans, who would fit in on Bo's RW and also gives the team another C option if any of our centers go down, just like the Miller Trade last year 

Why Buffalo Does this 

it's no secret that Reinhart wants out buffalo really doesn't have leverage in a Rinehart trade as he is a ufa next year and can go to arbitration for a one year deal and walk after the year is done, Buffalo receives a 1st round pick in a deep draft and B+ Prospect in Lind who still has a lot of potential to grow, Roussel is a serviceable bottom 6 guy who can bring in leadership to Buffalo, he is a cap dump but at 1yr/3m it's not really a huge cap dump 

Vancouver Receives: 

Ryan Graves

Colorado Receives:

2022 2nd round pick 

Why Van Does this we get a big LHD who is defensively responsible to booster the D core 

Why Colorado does this they are able to shed some cap space well getting a 2nd round pick to be able to help re-sign Landeskog while still having the prospect to replace the lost of Graves 

Vancouver Receives:

Cal Foote 

Tampa Bay Receives: 

2021 2nd round pick 

Why Van Does this we get the ideal partner for Quinn Hughes that is RHD that boosts the top 4 D 

Why Tampa Bay does this they get an early 2nd round pick instead of losing him for free at the expansion draft  

Line up

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser 

Hoglander - Horvat - Reinhart

Pearson - Nugent-Hopkins - Podkolzin 

Motte -  Gravoc - MacEwan 

Hughes - Foote

Schmidt - Hamonic 

Graves - Myers

Demko 

Bernier

Edited by CanucksCountry

we could just offer sheet Sammy and give up next years pick which with any luck won't be a lotto draw. I doubt Buffalo matches. We'd need to trade for a 3rd round pick for 2022 tho.

We'd need to trade or expose Nate to make room for RNH. 

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sure but we literally dont have money for that and destroys any potential assets in the future.

Yep.  It would take some trades, buyouts, etc to make it all happen.  And stunt the prospect depth pool for a few years.

But with a forward group (and possible a good D core) like that should make the Canucks a playoff contender.  Which is the goal of JB and FA.  Short term gain for long term pain.

I really don’t know why Buffalo does that deal. I love Lind, but Reinhart is worth way more than him and a protected first, let alone with a Roussel cap dump thrown in.

Edited by HC20.0
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yep.  It would take some trades, buyouts, etc to make it all happen.  And stunt the prospect depth pool for a few years.

But with a forward group (and possible a good D core) like that should make the Canucks a playoff contender.  Which is the goal of JB and FA.  Short term gain for long term pain.

Yeah unless JB can pull a rabbit outta his hat i dont see much happening till next offseason. Really the only tradeable player i would be okay to deal away is schmidt. 

2 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

With these player most likely wanting out I could see a fit here playing for their hometown team as Benning said he would like to be aggressive in free agency and trades, so here is my proposal 

Signings

We need a cheap backup on a 1 year deal that can help if necessary until DiPietro is ready.

Dubnyk or Raanta type...

1 hour ago, BPA said:

$5M x 5yr?

I think if Benning is serious about having a scoring 3rd line RNH would be a good fit. Don't care if he's not physical just put Podz and Hogs on that line. Guy is a very solid 200-foot player and may in fact come home for a discount, he's already earned 45+ million and if offered an extra year he might take less.

4 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think if Benning is serious about having a scoring 3rd line RNH would be a good fit. Don't care if he's not physical just put Podz and Hogs on that line. Guy is a very solid 200-foot player and may in fact come home for a discount, he's already earned 45+ million and if offered an extra year he might take less.

I'd rather not hand out 6yr contracts like candy.  Don't want another LE situation.  Maybe $5.5 -$6M x 4yr.  

• Cheers 1

I'm sold on Reinhart, although I think Buffalo is going to want a lot more than that...

Not sold on Nuge... more than half of his points has come from the PP... and that of course is likely because of McDavid... I know he didn't have great wingers with him 5 on 5 but we need players that can push play and contribute 5 on 5...

Reinhart on the other hand has 10 PPG out of his 25 goals which is pretty similar to Boeser... I also like his versatility to be able to play Center or RW so could be an option to move anywhere in the top 9 to shake things up

6 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Expansion draft 

Hoblty 

LTIR usage

Beagle 

Ferland 

Signings

Re-sign Elias Pettersson 3yr/7.5M

Re-sign Quinn Hughes 3yr/7.5m

Re-sign Sam Reinhart 4yrs/6M

Re-Sign Cal Foote 2/yrs1.25M

Re-Sign Vasli Podkolzin 3yr/925K

Re-Sign Travis Hamonic 1/yr1.25M

Re-Sign Tyler Gravoc to a 1yr/700K

Sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 6yr/6.5M 

Why RHN signs with his home town team and takes a bit of a home town discount I believe he wants out of Edmonton and I could see him coming home at price like this

Trades

Vancouver Receives: Sam Reinhart

Buffalo Receives 2022 1st (Lottery Protected) Kole Lind Antoine Roussel 

Why Van Does this 

In Reinhart you get a home town boy that can be marketable to the fans, who would fit in on Bo's RW and also gives the team another C option if any of our centers go down, just like the Miller Trade last year 

Why Buffalo Does this 

it's no secret that Reinhart wants out buffalo really doesn't have leverage in a Rinehart trade as he is a ufa next year and can go to arbitration for a one year deal and walk after the year is done, Buffalo receives a 1st round pick in a deep draft and B+ Prospect in Lind who still has a lot of potential to grow, Roussel is a serviceable bottom 6 guy who can bring in leadership to Buffalo, he is a cap dump but at 1yr/3m it's not really a huge cap dump 

Vancouver Receives: 

Ryan Graves

Colorado Receives:

2022 2nd round pick 

Why Van Does this we get a big LHD who is defensively responsible to booster the D core 

Why Colorado does this they are able to shed some cap space well getting a 2nd round pick to be able to help re-sign Landeskog while still having the prospect to replace the lost of Graves 

Vancouver Receives:

Cal Foote 

Tampa Bay Receives: 

2021 2nd round pick 

Why Van Does this we get the ideal partner for Quinn Hughes that is RHD that boosts the top 4 D 

Why Tampa Bay does this they get an early 2nd round pick instead of losing him for free at the expansion draft  

Line up

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser 

Hoglander - Horvat - Reinhart

Pearson - Nugent-Hopkins - Podkolzin 

Motte -  Gravoc - MacEwan 

Hughes - Foote

Schmidt - Hamonic 

Graves - Myers

Demko 

Bernier

BIG NO Hopkins 6.5 X 6  would do hard pass, would hurt us for his last 3 yrss...Better choices...Mason Appleton 25, 6'2  GP 55 -- PTS 25--900,000 Jets will lose in expansion..

Better choices don't want Hopkins  6.5 X 6 years  NO NO

Hamonic -Yes ----Will not get for 1.2... 2yrs X 1.9 --2.1 

Graaves -Yes -6'5 toughness thiss i what we need..

Reinhart - Yes