The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Moving up to land 1st overall in the draft. Would it be worth it?

3 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Edmonton would be insane to trade McDavid. Without him, they're a lottery team all over again. 

We're not trading Pettersson for a draft pick. We already put millions of development dollars into him, whether it be video, conditioning, weight-lifting, dieting, skating and the list goes on. Teams do not trade guys they've invested into for a draft pick that they're going to have to invest even more money into. It makes no sense business wise. That's why teams don't trade young players for draft picks, they trade older players for draft picks to teams that need help to make the playoffs. Once the team that acquires the rental makes the playoffs, they make money off of TV revenue, tickets, jerseys, endorsements and so on, which makes trading the draft pick worthwhile financially. That's what this game is about, dollars and cents. If you look at the dollars and the cents, it would be a foolhardy endeavor to trade Pettersson instead of doubling down on the investment especially after we won a playoff round last year. Ownership would like to win a championship, but if we make the playoffs frequently enough ownership is not going to lose any sleep over not winning the cup as long as the team is making money.

Easy pal i wasnt suggesting we trade him if you read it properly i was making a point how dumb it would be to trade him for this years 1OA.

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  I was just referring to the 4 players that were mentioned.  McDavid would be starting at 3 #1 OA picks PLUS a top 6 player PLUS a top prospect.  

BBG you are worth so much more than a 1 OA <3

Edited by NHL'er
  • Huggy Bear 2

Moving up to 1st is nice.  But really the only player I want in that top 3 is Clarke then Benier or whatever his name is.  don't even want to look at Power because he screams Myers light to me

Id say ask the top 5 who they're picking and if Clarke is not in the top 3 position consider a move otherwise forget it, the cost aint worth it

There should be a trade down proposal since we are going to win lottery for top 2 pick.

If we do get a top 2 pick, I wouldn't mind dropping down a couple of spots and get another asset. 

I wouldn't trade up. Can't afford to give up a very good young player or prospect. We need more of those not les

Other years maybe, but IMO definitely not this year.  It's a crapshoot and there might be another Petey somewhere down the draft board, while some top guys are probably going to be duds since they haven't played all years and there's been no scouting.

In the last few drafts from 2017-2020: Hischier, Dahlin, Jack Hughes, and Lafreniere have been selected, but none of them have exactly lit the world on fire as 1st overall picks.

Especially in a year where there is no consensus number 1, you may even find the best player of the draft at pick number 9/10. 

To be honest there is no value moving up, rather value is moving down wthin the top 12 picks and gaining another pick/asset is where you will find the value.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

In the last few drafts from 2017-2020: Hischier, Dahlin, Jack Hughes, and Lafreniere have been selected, but none of them have exactly lit the world on fire as 1st overall picks.

Especially in a year where there is no consensus number 1, you may even find the best player of the draft at pick number 9/10. 

To be honest there is no value moving up, rather value is moving down wthin the top 12 picks and gaining another pick/asset is where you will find the value.

You make really good points.  

As you mention, a lot of those aforementioned top picks haven’t exactly lit the world on fire.

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd do that deal for Power.  Otherwise, I'd be inclined to trade down for Svozil unless Benning really likes one of the guys available.

Everyone the last four years.   Trade for "blank" (Nolan Patrick/Hirshier/Dahlin/Kakko/ Lafrenierre/ Powers" blah blah blah.  How has that worked out so far?   All JB has done is draft great players for their position since OJ.   And BB before that.  Not too worried.   Sure it will be more of the same.  Podz is still in the mix - before this draft still considered a top 10-12 prospect.   Impressive given three drafts are there right with him (one before and the one after him).  

Power - decent odds he's not the best guy in the draft.    Dahlin "the next Lidstrom" funny now isn't it.   Kakko - meh.  Forgot Jack Hughes - meh.   Trust the process.  So far it's working. 

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Yes, as I stated in my OP.  

Going from 9th to 1st.   Maybe if we win the second spot.  But doubt it.    Power name is cooler then he probably will end up.  I'm convinced he won't be the BPA in five years with hindsight.   Just as likely someone drafting 12-20th with end up with the "gem" of the draft.  So no thanks. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Everyone the last four years.   Trade for "blank" (Nolan Patrick/Hirshier/Dahlin/Kakko/ Lafrenierre/ Powers" blah blah blah.  How has that worked out so far?   All JB has done is draft great players for their position since OJ.   And BB before that.  Not too worried.   Sure it will be more of the same.  Podz is still in the mix - before this draft still considered a top 10-12 prospect.   Impressive given three drafts are there right with him (one before and the one after him).  

Power - decent odds he's not the best guy in the draft.    Dahlin "the next Lidstrom" funny now isn't it.   Kakko - meh.  Forgot Jack Hughes - meh.   Trust the process.  So far it's working. 

That's fair.  I trust Benning to make the right call either way.  

• Cheers 1

Depending on what happens with the lottery (of course), I see that there is a better chance that the Canucks stand where they are, or trade down rather than trading up.

regards,  G.