The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think the wind up is about Nate per se, more about media heads spreading their bs and acting like they have inside knowledge. 

I like Nate, I think Shaw can bring his game up to where it was in Vegas. If we get that Nate we're laughing. 

But if some GM comes along and makes some sort of offer Jim can't refuse thats great too. 

Who cares what the media says. Why is everyone so offended by this? Lol

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, Convincing John said:

Who cares what the media says. Why is everyone so offended by this? Lol

is anyone offended? I think its funny that anyone would take a guy like Dhali or Drance seriously. 

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The word, "I think" changes the meaning of that sentence significantly.

That clearly distinguishes this tweet as speculation.

So @wallstreetamigo, Sportsnet 650 sure did something ethical by omitting words :rolleyes:

Why do you struggle understanding what the media's job actually is?

Sports reporting would be extremely boring if it was only 100% provable and verified news. Speculation and "I think" is what actually sells. Not sure why people get so offended that they dont just kiss Bennings ass. Its not their job.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

The folks bashing the media should also keep in mind that even the worst media member in town knows almost infinitely more and is much better connected than literally everyone on this forum... so sure, call them out for not being as good as they should be, but don't pretend you know any more than any of them.

They hear what they hear, they talk to players, agents, and members of the organization all the time.  Dhaliwal for example clearly has agents as his main source and they use him to get information "they" want out there.  Other media members get information through sources on other teams that may be getting fed misinformation from the Canucks side of things.  Even Benning says publicly that he talks with every other GM regularly in efforts to improve the team, so if you hear that someone's name came up in a trade discussion... what do you think he is talking with the other GMs about?  Doesn't mean it is going to happen 95% of the time, doesn't mean the media is wrong saying that it was discussed.  The call could be "Hey we like Reinhart and heard he may be available, what would it take to get him?  Boeser?  Ok, that doesn't work for us goodbye..."  

Excellent post.

People here who bash the media and cry about how unscrupulous they are clearly have no understanding at all how the relationship between the media and insiders around the nhl actually works. 

The media are regularly fed info that GM's, agents, players, etc want out in the public sphere. On the flip side, the media uses their sources to gather info they need for a scoop.

Its very much a two way street. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you've just made a very good case for why we should ignore them. 

Not at all.  I am saying... and I know this is a huge ask for a lot of folks on this forum... that folks need to at least pretend to be grown ups and understand how to contextualize information they hear.

Jumping up and down bashing the media because you can't understand how to be a critical consumer of information is childish.  If they report they heard that X player was in trade discussion, a grown up would take that in, and understand that it may have been a short discussion and wasn't a guarantee that it was happening.  A childish response is folks jumping up and down beating their chest and jumping up and down shouting that all the media is trash because the trade didn't happen so therefore the media was lying.  

We see the latter all too often on this board.

I see a bunch of folks recently who trashed Dhaliwal because he said that he had heard that Ian Clark was likely not going to re-sign... and Clark ended up re-signing, so clearly Dhaliwal was just lying and making clickbait posts. 

Of course those same people didn't bother listening to the Clark interview after where he basically said that things changed at the last minute.  The exact quote from Clark was:
Clark said that he and his family "were prepared to move on," “I had been through this before in Columbus and we made the decision to move on. But, again, the organization pushed hard at the end here and we’re happy, we’re excited, and ready to get to work on bringing a Cup to Vancouver.” 

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Why is everyone so wound up about Schmidt being traded? 

You seem to be wound up about your perception of others being wound up, are you ok?

Edited by gurn
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not at all.  I am saying... and I know this is a huge ask for a lot of folks on this forum... that folks need to at least pretend to be grown ups and understand how to contextualize information they hear.

Jumping up and down bashing the media because you can't understand how to be a critical consumer of information is childish.  If they report they heard that X player was in trade discussion, a grown up would take that in, and understand that it may have been a short discussion.  A childish response is folks jumping up and down beating their chest and jumping up and down shouting that all the media is trash because the trade didn't happen so therefore the media was lying.  

We see the latter all too often on this board.

I see a bunch of folks recently who trashed Dhaliwal because he said that he had heard that Ian Clark was likely not going to re-sign... and Clark ended up re-signing, so clearly Dhaliwal was just lying and making clickbait posts. 

Of course those same people didn't bother listening to the Clark interview after where he basically said that things changed at the last minute.  The exact quote from Clark was:
Clark said that he and his family "were prepared to move on," “I had been through this before in Columbus and we made the decision to move on. But, again, the organization pushed hard at the end here and we’re happy, we’re excited, and ready to get to work on bringing a Cup to Vancouver.” 

With Dhali tho what's annoying is when he does things like "its X number of days and Boeser still isn't signed" - that sort of crap is just designed to raise anxiety. Same with the daily non-reports on the Clark situation, it was empty click bait.

There are very few guys who tweet stuff out that I'd sit up and take notice. Friedman is one, he's got too much risk to blow his reputation on a flaky story. 

What I think is all of a teams best players are on all other GMs radar and discussions happen all the time between these guys. You could pick a name out of a hat, and tweet out that the player is in a possible trade discussion and you'd probably be right. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is anyone offended? I think its funny that anyone would take a guy like Dhali or Drance seriously. 

It’s like Q or aliens or whatever. Take what you will from it for entertainment purposes but why sit there demand validity? I don’t care if you’re Bob Mackenzie or Dhali or Eklund. It’s entertainment guys. Relax. If it doesn’t entertain you then don’t look at it. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Convincing John said:

It’s like Q or aliens or whatever. Take what you will from it for entertainment purposes but why sit there demand validity? I don’t care if you’re Bob Mackenzie or Dhali or Eklund. It’s entertainment guys. Relax. If it doesn’t entertain you then don’t look at it. 

So you’re saying that sport’s media is craperolla.  ‘Schmidt wants a trade’.  ‘Quinn on an IV’.  I think you’re right.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So you’re saying that sport’s media is craperolla.  ‘Schmidt wants a trade’.  ‘Quinn on an IV’.  I think you’re right.  

No no no. Schmidt's on an IV drip, and Quinton was the one that inserted it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think the wind up is about Nate per se, more about media heads spreading their bs and acting like they have inside knowledge. 

I like Nate, I think Shaw can bring his game up to where it was in Vegas. If we get that Nate we're laughing. 

But if some GM comes along and makes some sort of offer Jim can't refuse thats great too. 

The question then becomes why are people so wound up about the media doing their job?

Here's a news flash. The media members being incessantly whined about actually do have inside sources. They talk to people in and around the team all the time. They know much more than anyone on CDC does.

Regarding Schmidt. If people arent worked up about him being traded, why should they be worked up that the media is speculating he could be? Its not BS. Its something that is being discussed by the media. As a rumor it has long legs and often where there is smoke there is fire. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

If our local media clowns want to regain respect, losing their constant negative agenda would help. This thread is based on a story that contains an outright lie. It claims that no-one has denied the Schmidt rumour. That is an outright lie to push an agenda. They've been pulling this garbage for a long time.

Media clowns coming on to CDC to defend other media clowns and maybe even themselves doesn't convince anyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

With Dhali tho what's annoying is when he does things like "its X number of days and Boeser still isn't signed" - that sort of crap is just designed to raise anxiety. Same with the daily non-reports on the Clark situation, it was empty click bait.

There are very few guys who tweet stuff out that I'd sit up and take notice. Friedman is one, he's got too much risk to blow his reputation on a flaky story. 

What I think is all of a teams best players are on all other GMs radar and discussions happen all the time between these guys. You could pick a name out of a hat, and tweet out that the player is in a possible trade discussion and you'd probably be right. 

You should read more of Friedman's stuff because anyone who is bring honest rather than simply having an ax to gring against Vancouver media would be able to clearly see just how often Friedman's stuff is based on speculation and extrapolation based on what he heard. And just how often what he suggests doesnt pan out.

The point? ALL the main media players do the exact same thing. The problem is people perceivibg it to be different because they consider someone credible otmr not. But thats rarely predicated on an actual realistic assessment of what the media person actually does.

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If our local media clowns want to regain respect, losing their constant negative agenda would help

^This.^

When was the last time a Vancouver report started with something close to this?

" Kole Lind seems to be adjusting to being a center iceman, and perhaps by the middle of next season he will make the team as an injury relief. Hopefulley at that time he will play well enough to stick with the team, and give them some ability to trade from what would then be a position with a little depth."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

If our local media clowns want to regain respect, losing their constant negative agenda would help. This thread is based on a story that contains an outright lie. It claims that no-one has denied the Schmidt rumour. That is an outright lie to push an agenda. They've been pulling this garbage for a long time.

Media clowns coming on to CDC to defend other media clowns and maybe even themselves doesn't convince anyone.

So true.  Rumour is started, and because there is no denial it is therefore true.  That’s just the stupidest logic ever!  These are same media hacks who said (and then quoted one another) that Quinn was so sick with Covid he was on an IV.  

One hack starts a rumour, Schmidt wants out’ and then the other hacks say they hear something about Schmidt wanting out, when in reality they are just parroting one another.  And then posters defend these hacks!  :lol:  

• Cheers 1

Just now, gurn said:

^This.^

When was the last time a Vancouver report started with something close to this?

" Kole Lind seems to be adjusting to being a center iceman, and perhaps by the middle of next season he will make the team as an injury relief. Hopefulley at that time he will play well enough to stick with the team, and give them some ability to trade from what would then be a position with a little depth."

I see those kind of articles. Maybe people who dont just arent able to be objective?

The reality is that if the media stirred up no controversy, no one would want to read what they write. Being critical sells. Being a homer does not.

• Haha 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I see those kind of articles. Maybe people who dont just arent able to be objective?

The reality is that if the media stirred up no controversy, no one would want to read what they write. Being critical sells. Being a homer does not.

There’s a difference between a critique and a lie.  Quinn on an IV was a lie.  Gaudette starting the Covid outbreak was a lie.  Schmidt demanding a trade is a lie.  These so called insiders or sport’s reporters aren’t news people.  They are paparazzi.  

So glad Sekeras is a forgotten voice here now.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.  

• Cheers 1